Dog acting aggressive around horses.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning was really hard. I let him out to go to the bathroom and when I let him back in he growled at me. So I yelled at him really loudly (one of those that your throat hurts afterwards). Poor little guy just shrunk down into submission and then he behaved fine. He was fine in the car ride and all that I kept thinking is that I should be giving him another chance. Then I walked him into the NHSPCA and when the girl working there went to take him he lunged at her and tried to bite her (but didn't). I felt bad for her but also for him as he just was killing all his chances with his behavior. I talked to them and they said they could tell he was biting out of fear. I hope they can work with him and find him a good home. I still think a nice quite home with no other animals or kids may work for him. I hope I am right. I only had the little guy 2 days and I sobbed when I left. I don't ever want to go through this again. I hate the fact I gave up on him but I couldn't risk getting anyone in my family hurt. I also know that if he didn't go to the NHSPCA that he could have ended up with someone who could have abused him with his behavior so hopefully they will screen the perfect match for him and he will be happy.
default_bye-sad.gif

We own a very aggressive and vicious dog which we rescued as a puppy from the shelter 14 years ago. It is a HUGE responsiblity but we can manage him. If you do not have the quality time to invest in working with this dog, I would suggest you re=home him. I will never, and I mean never ever again have a vicious dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take him back. HE has a problem, probably why he is at the rescue. Cut your emotional losses and move on.

The majority of dogs we get at our rescue aren't the problem, the people who owned them were. However, I agree, this particular dog has some serious issues and needs some intense help and a very special home (if he indeed can be helped).

You did the best thing and those folks are probably very good at working with various dogs- AND he is not a liability to you now either! It is tough, and I agree, it is the owners in most cases, not the dogs.

Glad to hear, he might get the help he needs.

Sometimes it is just the breeders, breeding dogs that are already aggressive,
default_no.gif

The dog I had before Buddy was rather like the dog you mention. Except I picked her out of the litter when she was 4 weeks old. All the puppies came bouncing and grinning to greet us, except the one I picked. She kept back, her head down, pacing against the back fence. Being inexperienced, I did not recognize these as warning behavior signs. when I picked her up at 8 weeks, the breeder tried to put her on her back to trim her nails, and she wouldn't lay on her back. Another warning sign.

Badger was smart and affectionate, but deadly to any visitor, child, delivery man. Her behavior had NOTHING to do with being abused or spoiled. She was our only pet (besides our chickens, which she loved). Our children had already left home so we had an "ideal" home for such a personality. She went to obedience school, herding classes--(never once pulled wool), and even somehow passed her "Good Citizen" test, though when the teacher put her face up close to Badge I saw the lip curling and I tensed for action. We were sort of in denial, thinking she'd outgrow it, or mellow--or something. She took a fancy to some people, but we never figured out what made her tolerate them. She was also very dog agressive. By the time we recognized she wasn't going to be different, we had had her so long we were emotionally attached to her.

When grandchildren came, we had to tie her or kennel her.

Some dogs are born that way. Our dog would have most likely been euthanized if she had belonged to anyone else. We had her 11 years, then she got kicked by the horses and got an infection. (That is another story and experience.)

I would NEVER have another vicious dog. And I always tell people who have one like that to cut their emotional losses and move on. We were lucky Badger never caused us a lawsuit. We could never have found another home for her. And she was spayed--NOT a personality trait that needed to be passed on.

So, when well-meaning people assume that all badly behaved animals were abused by mean people, I think of Badger. Some animals are just born with a glitch in their brains.

Marsha,

It is funny you said that. The girl I got the dog from said when she picked him out all the puppies were really friendly except for him. She said he was the runt of the litter and was hiding under a car. She felt sorry for him so she picked him.

Sue

Latest posts

Back