Does anyone own a memory foam mattress?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
I'm just curious about them! I'd love to have one but I don't want to waste my money. My back is injured and I was wondering if this would help ease the pain at all. My back does great on a new mattress but now that it's 5 years old and "broke in" my back is really sore. The mattress that we have now is a name brand with a pillow top and bla bla bla but I'm very disapointed that its not stayed firm longer or at least smaller indents where we sleep! We payed alot for it and to not get very long out of it stinks!

I just wonder if the memory foam will help or hurt!

Have you tried a sleep number? I used to wake in the middle of the night in tears with my hips hurting. So while shopping for a new bed I tried a foam first, just lying on one first. I am not very big and tried the foam I dont weigh enough to make a dent so within two minutes my hips already hurt. So I went with the sleep number.

And I love it. The only time the old hips wake me up now is if the weather changes alot and the lbs change because of the air. I love my bed. One nice feature is a queen or king, have two bladders so each side can be a different pressure. The warranty on them is pretty good also. I would check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you started this thread. I, too, have a lot of hip pain while sleeping (not while up and about though, weird) and am on my second 5" memory foam mattress topper, and I really do think they have helped quite a bit. However, it seems that it only takes about 18 months to lose their memory and don't have any support any more. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm a bigger person, but still, the $200 or so I spent for each of these seems like a lot to just throw away after a year or so.

I thought about a full memory foam mattress, but I just can't help but think it'd squish down and not really work after a short while as well. I hadn't even considered a sleep number mattress, but now I guess I should check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Jayne

This is a great thread. I have bursitis in my hips and degenerative disc deasese in my back. We have a standard extra firm mattress that hubby had to have. Needless to say, I had to add a foam pad on top to sleep. I have wanted a sleep number mattress for a couple of years but can't afford one. Maybe we could get some type of group discount? Kidding! Wouldn't it be great if we all could get a good nights sleep?
default_aktion033.gif

Had one, and had to sell it. My hubby had back problesm (4 bad discs), I didn't. We got the memory foam thinking it would help his back - felt great at first, but within 6 months not only did it not help his back, but it started causing mine to hurt, and I'd never had back problems before. We got a new, non-pillowtop, regular firm mattress, and just resigned to switching it every 3 months, and getting a new one when it starts to wear down and lose it's firmness. Would never get another memory foam - it just doesn't last long enough (or at least didn't for us).

I haven't had a full mattress, but my husband just LOVES the memory foam pillows. The pillows do need to be replaced every year or every other year or so, so I'd imagine a bed would be similar. The foam just isn't invincible.

Andrea

I feel your pain. My bed is very old and is like one from that I Love Lucy episode where they were in a cabin in a sink hole bed with a train near by? Anyway if not a lucy fan you would have no idea what I am talking about but my bed SUCKS I love to go to Convention every year cause I get to sleep in a good bed. One year I think in MO they had sleep number beds in the rooms it was the talk of everyone for a while and I know me and my roommates spent a lot fo time playing with the dial
default_wink.png
Was the best night sleep I have ever had EVER

I slept on a memory foam mattress when I had my neck surgery. I loved it. I really want one. I did go to the sleep number store but the only beds that were comfortable were the two top models. The ones with 3 inches and 4 inches of foam over the top of the air bed. Wouldn't the foam break down just like any other mattress?

I slept on a memory foam mattress when I had my neck surgery. I loved it. I really want one. I did go to the sleep number store but the only beds that were comfortable were the two top models. The ones with 3 inches and 4 inches of foam over the top of the air bed. Wouldn't the foam break down just like any other mattress?
I have had back issues for over 20 years(have had back surgery in 1985&1986 as a result of horseback riding accidents -that's how I got into Minis) and decided to try a Tempurpedic mattress.I checked out their web site and found a hotel about 1 hr from me that has them.Went down and spent the night and loved it.

I figured since it was a sizable investment I'd better be sure.Looked for a sale on it and bought it.I LOVE IT!!Glad I did it.Good luck finding the right mattress-it can make a big difference in your sleep.

My friend had a memory foam mattress and hated it. Took too long to recover when he rolled over so he felt like he was falling back into the hole his body formed in the foam, until the foam would recover and support again (that is what he described) he is a big guy. His back was worse with the memory foam..

I have a sleep number bed. I love it. I used to have bad back and hip pain and now I sleep great. My husband loves it too, also has back pain and it has helped him keep from jumping up with nerve pain attacks in the middle of the night. I like it because I can adjust my number depending on how I feel that day. Or I can stick with the same number once I figure out what I like.

I would also recommend people with back and hip pain to get their vitamin D levels checked. I suffered with horrible pain for years. The doctor said it could be bursitis or fibromylagia or even MS. I had trouble walking or standing or sitting for any amount of time and everything hurt. I went to a rumatologist and she suggested getting my D levels checked. I had practically no level of vitamin d at all. After several weeks of vitamin D therapy my Physical therapist couldn't believe how much more range of motion I got back and how very little pain I was in. For some reason I need to be supplemented. I wish they had discovered sooner, I spent years in a great deal of pain just because of a vitamin deficiency.

Hope you find a mattress you like
default_saludando.gif

There was one at a hotel we stayed in- I hated it. It would suck you into one position and it was VERY hard to roll over and move around.

We have a king size latex foam bed and LOVE it
default_smile.png
Ours gives enough support and doesn't at all suck you in or anything. You can hardly feel the other person move when they get in or out of bed
default_smile.png

I wish I could afford a full memory foam bed.

Only way I can sleep with my issues... is using the memory Foam Topper on my mattress. I bought one at Costco and it works really well, much cheaper than buying the whole bed.

I really think the quality of foam has a lot to do with how it feels and also holds up. Where I live, there is a foam plant and they make the memory foam mattress and we bought a few but there is no comparison to their memory foam mattress and that of Tempur-Pedic. I am saving my pennies for the real deal. I have friends that swear by them and won't sleep in anything else.

Thanks everyone. My MIL has a sleep number and loves it. It has broken down 3 times in 5 years though. 2 times the bladder blew out and just recent the frame broke and my FIL had to make something(not sure what!) to fix it. I know it was a sizable investment to buy that bed.

I saw on auction sites a memory foam topper for a decent price. I'm 100 percent sure the quality of that is no way compairable to a TemperPedic but I guess if it helps for 6 months to a year it would be worth it. I just twist and turn all night so I don't want to be "stuck" in one spot. But could I be twisting and turning because my mattress is poo and this could be my answer...? I guess I'd just have to try it and see.

I have to laugh at the I love Lucy picture in my head! I'm pretty sure I saw that episode! My mattress before this one sucked you to the middle! The one now has two indents where I sleep and hubby sleeps! It's a challenge to sleep at night! It's the most comfortable in the middle(where no one sleeps so it's the firmest!!
default_wacko.png
) but that does not work to well with 2 of us sharing the bed.
default_rolleyes.gif

We adore our temperpedic mattress(memory foam). We sleep so muc better with it. We will NEVER be without one!!

I know it is not easy, but do any of you turn your mattress.

that will sometimes help the wear on your mattress.

I know it is not easy, but do any of you turn your mattress.

that will sometimes help the wear on your mattress.
I did turn it(head to foot) and I think it was to late! My hubbys indent in the mattress was super uncomfortable for me! I can't flip it because it's a pillow top and they say not to. I'd do ANYTHING if it would help the pain!

OK, well, most mattress's have a 10 year warranty, might not hurt to call and see what they can do for you.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back