Does anyone have pictures of . . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of a mini hoof with a "corrective shoe" attached for help with flexor tendon laxity? My new foal is 3.5 weeks old and he is coming up some on his back legs but not enough so the vet suggested "shoes" so that he can't roll back on his fetlocks. Any suggestions? I have tried taping tongue depressors on his feet but they didn't stay. I think I will have to glue them on next but I'm looking for a better idea before then. Something tried with success.

Several years back I purchased a bred mare that foaled a filly like that. It was more than just a little lax and needed some intervention. My farrier trimmed up her toes and made "glue shoes" for her.

It was a fast setting epoxy that he used a caulking gun to apply.

He had sanded the hoof, sides and bottom, swabbed it off with either alcohol or acetone, I don't remember. he then applied the epoxy to the bottom of the hoof and up over the sides (leaving the bottom of the hoof open to prevent bacteria growth) and placed the hoof on a smooth plastic disk to level the bottom into the angle needed.

She had to stay off of wet ground, so not venturing out after a rain. The shoe would stay intact of approx 1.5-2 weeks at which time she was due for a recheck for improvement/refitting anyhow. I think we did this twice afterwhich she showed major improvement and treatment was no longer needed.

I do my own trims now, this farrier was my text book so to speak, but thankfully have him available if I need him for "out of the ordinary" tasks like this.

I don't have photos, but I hope this helps.

We also did what Carolyn described. I think if I had to do it over, I would just do very, very frequent trims and not do the shoes. Ultimately, the shoes caused bruising and my own farrier encouraged me not to use the glue on shoes from the vet because of the possible negative effects it could cause. We just started trimming every 10-14 days and she now has the most perfect hoof in my herd- needing trims very infrequently (like twice a year) because she wears her hooves so perfectly now. We have her checked every 6-8 weeks, but rarely needs a trim.

We also did what Carolyn described. I think if I had to do it over, I would just do very, very frequent trims and not do the shoes. Ultimately, the shoes caused bruising and my own farrier encouraged me not to use the glue on shoes from the vet because of the possible negative effects it could cause. We just started trimming every 10-14 days and she now has the most perfect hoof in my herd- needing trims very infrequently (like twice a year) because she wears her hooves so perfectly now. We have her checked every 6-8 weeks, but rarely needs a trim.
I don't have a photo but we have used a product available for sealing cracks in hoofs.It is an acrylic that hardens when applied and can be rasped and trimmed just like a hoof.I think it is called Vettec and may be available at Jeffers.It is put on allowed to dry then sanded in the shape needed to get the correct angle.It will eventually grow out just like the hoof.Maybe your farrier will know about this product.Good luck and keep us posted

Latest posts

Back