Does anyone have experience with this type of run-in shelter??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
I am looking for something that could work for my 2 miniatures that are coming this weekend, as well as my 3 big guys that I already have (not at the same time, though). I found this ad on craigslist...does anyone have experience with these types of shelters??

:modedit: Please refer to Rules and Etiquette page for rules pertaining to the use of outside site links.

3k73pb3l95Y35T45U4b2825bb78279f3b1cb4.jpg

Any input would be great! Thanks!!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a klene pipe frame? It looks very similar. I was given one for helping some friends during some tough times and I love mine. They had the frame and 2x6's I just had to get the metal,which I found used.Mine is like the 4th pic in the ad. I made 4 stalls and it works great.

I don't have experience with that exact type of shelter, but with the wood kick boards inside, it should be a pretty good shelter for horses. I'd love to have a shelter like that, but they aren't available in our area.

My husband has built most of the barns and shelters on our place, or moved them in from somewhere, so most of my barns are recycled.

If you go to my website, you can see a picture of my mini barn when we were putting it up; we converted two calf shelters my husband had built to sell, but didn't. One of my stallion shelters is just a single calf shelter; and I built a shelter this last summer in a similar style but a little smaller.

If you go to the photo gallery and look up my mini barn on a budget ,I have a picture of it on there. It's the last picture posted on that thread.

Ours are a tad different from the photo example that you've seen and of course secured so they won't budge in heavy winds. However, the one thing that comes to mind is that you'll want to it on 2 foot of leveled crushed base material that's compacted and extend out the base about another 2 foot from all the way around it. The reason for doing so is if you just place it on level ground it will eventually erode over a period of time. I've had several friends that I've heard horror stories about there horses nearly severing their legs off by getting them caught under the edges when they've laid down to rest and costing them thousands of dollars in vet expenses.

They look fine l like the 3 sided huts...we dig in railroad ties on 3 sides then bolt the shed to them so they don't blow away...we have 10 sheds believe me if the wind hits them just right they won't be in the same place you had them..plus sitting on the ties gives you space to fill up with whatever you want..we used clay on the inside to keep water drained away from the opening when it rains..sheds are useless if filled with water or mud lMO
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

That is a cute little shelter. The only other thing I would keep in mind, and mind you it may just be the angle of the photo, is the pitch of the roof. I see you live in Colorado, I don't know how much snow you get in your region. I would want something that is pitched enough to shed some snow when the afternoon sun comes out.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input, big time
default_smile.png

However...apparently I won't be able to spend the money on a large shelter like this anytime soon
default_sad.png
I just had the plumber come out for what I thought was a clogged sink and found out that it is much more than that, and we will probably have to drop about 10k to get it fixed
default_new_shocked.gif

It looks like I will be building a small shelter myself for my two little guys and the big guys will continue using the one that they have out in the pasture...

Gotta love how things work out sometimes
default_rolleyes.gif
default_no.gif

Tell me about it, I took my car to the garage this morning cos it was making a funny noise and I came out an hour later € 600 lighter
shutup.gif
closedeyes.gif

I was hoping hubby would give me the money for Marestare but I will have to be very nice for a while before asking.
new_rofl.gif

Lol...yeah, I'm not even going to ask him about the shelter again after finding this out
default_laugh.png

When we started out on our own after college (and had to find a place to rent with room for my minis), my husband found one of these sheds used from a local farmer. It has worked great in the paddock for a couple of minis. It is amazing how warm it can stay. They retail for $729 from this site: http://www.ezhutch.net/minibarn.php
minibarn_01.jpg

When we started out on our own after college (and had to find a place to rent with room for my minis), my husband found one of these sheds used from a local farmer. It has worked great in the paddock for a couple of minis. It is amazing how warm it can stay. They retail for $729 from this site: http://www.ezhutch.net/minibarn.php
minibarn_01.jpg
Thanks! I have seen these, but no one around here has them used and I don't think we can do the retail price at this point
default_no.gif

I have been on the look out for anything similar to this on craigslist and there is nothing...not enough cattle farmers around here, I guess...

I've done temporary things for shade and rain shelters by using pipe panels (like they sell for round pens) set it up with 3 sides. You can even anchor the corners with guide wires and stakes but I didn't. Think when you do this about where your horses will be walking (or tripping).

Then using the poly rope like ski rope work back and forth from back to side and side to side until you have a web of rope. Put a large heavy duty tarp over this and put at least one side ( the one that most wind -storms come from) to the ground or almost to the ground. You'll have to anchor the tarp with more rope but I even used it for a few months in the fall and we got an inch or so of snow.

The biggest expense will be the panels from a round pen unless you already have one you want to use.

I've done temporary things for shade and rain shelters by using pipe panels (like they sell for round pens) set it up with 3 sides. You can even anchor the corners with guide wires and stakes but I didn't. Think when you do this about where your horses will be walking (or tripping).

Then using the poly rope like ski rope work back and forth from back to side and side to side until you have a web of rope. Put a large heavy duty tarp over this and put at least one side ( the one that most wind -storms come from) to the ground or almost to the ground. You'll have to anchor the tarp with more rope but I even used it for a few months in the fall and we got an inch or so of snow.

The biggest expense will be the panels from a round pen unless you already have one you want to use.

The corral that I have them in is only about 30ft wide, so I am thinking that I could run a tarp across the back of the corral and then one across the top maybe and then they would have the whole back of the corral covered. Does that make sense??

Yes, very clever people, I have seen the pallet sheds before too.

There is also another way that is fairly inexpensive to do: Someone will have photos for you soon I'm sure, the photos I had are on a dead computer.

Take two cattle panels (16')and attach together the long ways.(approx 8-9' wide) Push and stand them up in an ARCH tall enough for you to walk under in the middle. Attach a tarp to the entire frame work, preferrably with bungy cords on sides and bottom. You will need a few T Posts to secure the sides. This makes a great shelter.

The corral that I have them in is only about 30ft wide, so I am thinking that I could run a tarp across the back of the corral and then one across the top maybe and then they would have the whole back of the corral covered. Does that make sense??
It might work if the fence is tall enough. Remember that you want to be able to get under there and clean out the poops!

I made some of the pallet sheds this past summer after reading about them here...in another thread....It was so hot I made soem for my mares and foals in ttheir little fields. They are really easy to make and have stood up well this winter. I have made 5 so far and plan on making more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might work if the fence is tall enough. Remember that you want to be able to get under there and clean out the poops!
The fence is like 4 to 5 feet tall, so I could get down there fairly easy
default_smile.png

I made some of the pallet sheds this past summer after reading about them here...in another thread....It was so hot I made soem for my mares and foals in ttheir little fields. They are really easy to make and have stood up well this winter. I have made 5 so far and plan on making more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would you mind posting a picture of the ones that you have built? I would love to see them to give me an idea
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back