Does anyone give vaccinations twice a year?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianne 1

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else vaccinates twice a year. My neighbor has the vet out in early spring and late fall and gives the same shots she gave in spring. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad at least they are vaccinated, but is it really necessary to do it twice a year? I'm not sure what shots they are getting but she claims they get every shot possible (both times). I only vaccinate in the spring, so I thought I'd better see what everyone else does.

Hi

My vet comes every four months and gives boaster shots, EWT/WNV Combo for a not high exposure adults. Rabies, Coggins, teeth float once a year. Tetanus once so far. We live in Florida. I think your area might have something to do with it but I am not sure and that is why I go by what my vet wants. If he says four time than that is it. He is taking care of their health for me so I will respect his treatment. Hope this helps some but again I do not know much about treatments. FLFlyingW

I usually give vaccinations once a year, except for the show horses who get a booster twice a year because of the demands of showing and travelling out of state.

Andrea

I do VEW +T and WNV once a year unless we have an outbreak and then I may do a second dose if it's been a while.

I don't do flu rhino as you have to do it every 4 months to be effective. Like a flu shot, it doesn't always cover the strain of disease you have. My vet tells me it's a waste of money if you don't do it every 4 months.

I do intranasal strangles twice a year for the show horses.

I believe we over vaccinate horses just like we do dogs and we can cause worse problems than not vaccinating at all.

I think it's a business issue for a lot of vets. As in fear of being sued.

Here, non show horses get WNV combo shot (WNV + EWT) and Rabies shot 1x a year. Show horses also get Flu / Rhino with it being boostered.

The exception are our pregnant mares, who get a 5-way about 30 days pre-foaling and then stand alone WNV and Rabies shots post foaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends when, what, and why you vaccinate.

WEE, EEE, and VEE vaccines last six months. However, most of us don't live in places where bugs live year round. So most of us, if we vaccinate in early spring, can get by easily and safely with only one vaccine. If you live in the Everglades or rain forest, you'll need to do these shots twice a year.

Flu, Rhino, and most WN shots last TWO MONTHS. They need to be boostered many times a year for active traveling horses or horses at high risk. I use an annual flu (Recombitek) and annual WN (Previnile or Recombitek) vaccine to minimize # of vaccinations and cost. I still have to booster the rhino shots every two to three months for at-risk horses.

Tetnus and Rabies are annual shots. Tetnus vaccine has been shown to improve immune responce to other vaccines and is often times given multiple times a year without any harm.

Botulism is an annual shot after boosters have been done (three).

Strangles is an annual IN vaccine.

EVA is an annual shot.

That is most of them... there aren't too many other things you can vaccinate for other than Potomac, and I don't know anything about it.

So do I do more than two sets of shot a year? FOR SURE!!! But I do them only as often as they are needed to be effective, and don't overlap unless I have to.

I live in Fl. and we vaccinate twice a year per my vet. If there is an outbreak of Rhino (which there has been the last couple of years) I give a booster about 2 weeks before I leave for a show. I dont live in the everglades, I live in central Fl on the coast, but unless we have a frost or freeze over the winter we have bugs year round. My vet does not believe in over vaccinating. Kathy

I think it depends on what part of the country you live in and what is recommended for that region. Florida might be one that shots are necessary because of bug population year round.

Just check with your vet.

"Flu, Rhino, and most WN shots last TWO MONTHS. They need to be boostered many times a year for active traveling horses or horses at high risk. I use an annual flu (Recombitek) and annual WN (Previnile or Recombitek) vaccine to minimize # of vaccinations and cost. I still have to booster the rhino shots every two to three months for at-risk horses."

The Previnile WNV shot is a once a year shot. Prior to its inception it was every 90 days for WNV in this part of the country.

"Flu, Rhino, and most WN shots last TWO MONTHS. They need to be boostered many times a year for active traveling horses or horses at high risk. I use an annual flu (Recombitek) and annual WN (Previnile or Recombitek) vaccine to minimize # of vaccinations and cost. I still have to booster the rhino shots every two to three months for at-risk horses."
The Previnile WNV shot is a once a year shot. Prior to its inception it was every 90 days for WNV in this part of the country.
Yes, that's what I said
default_smile.png
Previnile is a great vaccine from what I've heard. Before that I used the Recombitek, which is also an once-yearly shot, but still needs one booster the first time. Previnile does not need any boosters. Fort Dodge's WN was poor (but still GREAT when it was the only option) and requires often boosters. Many people feel that FD's vaccine is a once-annual shot, but it is not.

Latest posts

Back