Do you think folks are spending less time here now?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTailsMinis

Reaction score
Just curious .....maybe its just me?

It seems the LB forum is slow these days (no insult intended and maybe I am not wording it exactly right) but I come on several times a day to see whats new and very few new posts (subjects/topics) are present.

When I first joined LB, it was really fast paced and hard to keep up with all the goings on with my 3 favorite forums (miniature horse, photos and back porch). It was extremely busy and extremely addictive. And always alittle bit of drama now and then to keep things interesting - and make us laugh - where have those people gone? Oops, maybe they were banned and maybe I'm a bad person for being entertained with some heated debate?

I also found back then that topics were quickly shoved to the 2nd page for all the new topics started (so you had at least 2 pages minimum on each forum to keep up with). Now it seems the same topics just sit there in the same positions.

Perhaps the winter blahs have people doing other things? but when you can't walk in 8" plus snow wouldn't you spend time on the computer in the warmth of your house? LOL And those people have time for other forum/chat sites because we talk there too.

LB will always be my favorite of course and will continue to visit multiple times a day (and all night through foaling) and will definitely keep my membership strong, but it seems to have gotten dull lately. Without upsetting anyone - - - do you find this to also be true?

Are people spending more time on the other popular forum/chat site instead? I live on that one too and notice tons of LB folks are also there.

I enjoy the wealth of knowledge from LB members experiences and adventures - always a good reference to come to for advice and other opinions on subjects and I'm sure the photo forum will be quite busy as foal announcements start happening - that's always fun.

Just wondered if anyone else noticed any changes over the last 6 months or it was just me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I am not on as much because college classes are backmin session. I guess it is just a busy time of year.

I have noticed the same thing. Same thought I had if it is snowy cold and just plain yucky outside I thought it may be hopin but not the case. I tried the other big name place but has since deactivated since I just have security and other issues with that place. So LB is my #1 and always will be. I LOVE all the info on here and LOVE pictures!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we need to come up with some good conversation issues? Put your thinkin cap on and I will too!
default_biggrin.png

definately, not as many topics on the back porch as there use to be. I don't go to the mini horse forum anymore as I haven't had minis in a couple years and I don't have anything to offer there. I think FB has become alot more popular so maybe that's the reason? Also some topics on here are taboo(as in politics) because people took the debates personal. I actually miss the debates, I never took them personal. I actually learned alot from them. The debates forced me to research things that I may not have known about, etc. I still come here at least once a day though and have a fond spot for everyone here.

I love LB and always will, however, I do think FaceBook "offers" some stiff internet time competition for any message board these days. I've noticed a big change in activity level here over the past year or so.

Sonya makes an excellent point. Maybe a lot of people like being able to talk about whatever strikes their fancy -- which you can do on FaceBook even if your fancy includes politics (just as mine might)
default_biggrin.png

I have different reasons for not sticking around. Many of the old time posters that I used to love reading dont really post anymore so thats strike one and the main strike. Its just not as intresting to me anymore.

I do spend most of my time on homework, house cleaning, job searching and another forum relating to something else going on in my life.

I've noticed that too. For me its show season so there's a big lack of time. Sometimes I'm browsing from on my phone too so I make note to come back and reply to a topic when I get on my computer again but then I forget. I do miss all the activity though! It was my excuse for not writing lesson plans ^^

I spend more time on facebook now, but I read here just about as much..just reply less unless its something I feel really strong about. I read a lot of the posts that are interesting. Also, I am just SO busy...

I actually spend more time on other equine sites/forums myself right now.

I personally prefer a more open controversial/interesting matter that allows for objective opinions good or bad without the threat of being banned/locked out from the subject matter/forum. With that I will add though that I'm opposed to any profanity or personal attack.

I've also noticed a serious decline in the patronage that previously visited the forum and contributed to the dialog over the last 8-9 years. However, I do frequent the forum daily to see whats new....

The other site you are referring to. FB maybe, well there are several mini people that have asked to be frieds with me, and I am about to defriend them because, instead of offering advice or just chatting these people are using the friendship as a sale opportunity. All they talk about is visit my site for this horse for sale or the little horse barn. It's getting old real quick. Or the other thing that bothers me is bragging. Your web site should be for that not FB, maybe one thing but some times there are way too many, it's getting on my nerves. I like this site because people try to help you or offer advice. It will remain #1. We could stir things up a bit with some other subject matter. Have to think on it. Some people are busy with work and marstare as so many people have foals due this time of year, and I know I am busy training yearling and putting stallions in and out. No breeding this year until the economy picks up. I am not giving anything away, it's best to wait to breed until the economy picks back up. so that means more stalls to clean, as stallions can't be with the mares.

I think FB has definitely had an impact, but I also think if FB doesnt fix their security issues and viruses they will end up like myspace. Remember when myspace was all the rage? And then the viruses took over? I can tell you my son got a fb virus on my laptop and it was horrible. Cost me 50.00 to get rid of it and the guy said mine was one of many he had to fix that month.

I have quite a few friends that have shut their pages down due to security issues. I never knew how easy it was to steal someones FB page until it happened to my friend. When she showed me how I was appalled! Crazy stuff.

I also think its a good place to market if you dont go overboard as the above post shows. Too much is too much. If you are constantly bragging people just get tired of it. I have always said if you really have a great horse you dont have to constantly scream it from the rooftops. LOL

I have a lot of fun on FB especially keeping in touch with my family, but its very different from a forum. I also use FB in conjunction with my forum and that is a lot of fun. But, if you are needing help or info a forum is definitely a better place to go.

I am on here several times a day to read new posts/threads, but rarely post myself. I think that is what a lot of people are doing these days, which would cause the forum to "seem" slower than usual. I love LB and would never give it up, but yes, other sites seem to be just as popular to me and others.

Hmm, I too have noticed this recently. I too have not been on here as much as I once was (I used to be a junky)other than just to lurk and read but dont post much anymore. I also think that perhaps more people are spending more time on Facebook and other sites? I think that it may be easier for some but that's just IMO. But I agree, I think there should be some more topics on here to generate conversation and interest.

Dan.

Personally I don't pay very much attention to this forum anymore. Why? When I joined it was very fast paced and I was learning so much.

Now though, it seems like it's always a repetition of the exact same topics and I am very bored by that.

For me, it is a situational thing. My husband had his open heart surgery in October and it's been downhill since then. I do agree with you, Marlene. Allure Ranch makes a good point too. If you have too many rules it just alienates people (imo). I miss the political stuff on the Back Porch.......that was my favorite.
default_wink.png

The point I tried to make last night but my brain was foggy...........is that I just simply don't have the kind of time I used to have.
default_rolleyes.gif

My thoughts -- the economy has been in a slump for a couple of years and the mini horse markets/shows/farms and all associated activities have declined. This would account for some of the "slow-down" in people and related posts/question, etc. It's the snowball effect.

Some of the "old posters" are, well, older!
default_laugh.png
You will find a number who have slowed down, sold out, etc. Plus, I know of a few who had a great deal of experience and knowledge to share but stopped posting when they were slammed for their input.

Guess it's like those of us who have stopped breeding for a while...until things change. I do miss the previous forum events -- also, the foals, shows, meetings, all the things that we loved about mini ownership beyond the wonderful little horse and may not now participate in those.

I think this forum has gotten very stale. I am on here everyday but the pages don't change much, the same topics day after day. I realize new people have lots of questions but after several years of the same topics coming up multiple times a year it gets boring. I also think it has become over moderated. Let people get into good debates, it is interesting. The more you moderate, the more people will go elsewhere.

I have also noticed fewer participating. But, fewer folks are involved in many social areas now. Clubs are having a hard time functioning now--not just horse clubs, but most social and hobby clubs. Whether it is electronic stuff, or whether people are spread too thin with life activities, not sure.

As for the controversial topics, one should just not open one and follow it if it is too hot. But, I can't practice what I preach because I opened the topic of which horse color do you not want in your breeding program. Of course, the two colors which folks seemed to dislike most are bays and appaloosas! So why did I open it again and read more???
default_frusty.gif
Those are the two horse colors I have!
default_rolleyes.gif

I think I have read most of the replys.

I was just thinking as I was reading some of the replys, this forum is YOURS

You make it how you wish.. All that comment is slow, boring, etc.

well we are only too blame.

You can make a big change, just post.. don't sit back and complain do something. OK now I have said what I think..
default_wub.png

Interesting topic and interesting comments. I hadn't really thought about it but have noticed that things here are really slow now. I used to come on several times a day to see what was happening and what everybody was up to. Now I only come on once or twice a week and, as much as I hate to admit it, it's usually when I'm bored and looking for a place to browse. Since I don't breed or show, my interest in those issues is minimal although I do love seeing the new babies. I've gotten involved with a new craft/hobby and that is where I spend my time. I have to agree that there seems to be a lot of "oversight". After I posted something once and was admonished with a "you know better than that" I felt like a child who's hand had been slapped and started losing interest, not to mention being reluctant to post.

While we may not have agreed with(or been interested in) those topics that resulted in "debates",they were something I followed closely and was always anxious to see what the next person had to say.

I still think it's a great place to visit and get information/help, but it's lost it's daily appeal for me.

Back