Do you think folks are spending less time here now?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So on with the Sara Palin slams!
default_biggrin.png
I'm still a fan! GO Sarah!!! Sarah Palin and her energizing of the conservative movement is a part of the reason the 2010 elections went so RIGHT
default_aktion033.gif

As she said: "People know something has gone terribly wrong with our government and it has gotten so far off track. But people also know that there is nothing wrong in America that a good old-fashioned election can't fix."

Last edited by a moderator:
Behind the scenes...............

People don't post for all to see who or what they're complaining about. They email ML and complain. She gets "it" from both sides of all things. She tries HARD to walk down the middle and make everyone happy! If she allows something, someone complains, if she closes down something people complained about, others complain.

It isn't easy, but she tries! And we're all LUCKY to have ML and LB!

People tend to look at things only from their own perspective. (it's natural) But if there's anything here that you don't care for, please know there's a reason for it. And the decision was made after a LOT of thought.

ML doesn't just UP and do something, she does it because enough people complained or is something she feels is best for everyone here.

DON'T RETREAT, JUST RELOAD

Sara Palin

IMO, we have a great mix of different personailites that make for a lot of interest!!!!

I just post to what interests me and leave the other's because I have no interest. Not interested in Politics, Religion or such. Have no interest in any thing aggressive, life is too short to deal with that.

Things about mini horses, or any horse, garden's, other pets and how people are doing are good posts to me.
default_wink.png
And I think I spend about the same amount of time here as I used too.

The only thing I disliked about the poltical threads on the back porch was that if you had a differing opinion in any of those threads or had a concern to share that the original poster did not approve of.... well, that was not welcome. That kind of stifled discussion/debate.

All opinions should be respected and shared - not just those who post the most and the LOUDEST....
default_laugh.png
Forums are meant to be a sharing of ideas, thoughts and concerns - and yet that concept seemed to be a bit hard to embrace at times... and then some wanted to get personal and at times, downright hostile and rude. It did not matter if you had personal experience and factual insight to share about something - if it was not what some wanted to hear it could get very ugly - and often did.
default_no.gif
And then, regrettably, we all would get caught up in the drama and just make things worse.

That was what shut down the political threads... not the topics themselves.
default_unsure.png

We all need to remember that ALL opinions should be treated with respect and welcomed - no matter how heated a discussion may get or whether we agree with that opinion or not.

The main reason that I slowed down posting here is because I was warned about posting horses for sale-- and I hadn't. It was just one of those "how many of what do you have" threads, and I mentioned that I was keeping some of the younger horses and some would be sold, but I never said which ones, never mentioned names or any specifics. It definitely wasn't a sales ad or any kind of attempt to sell on the forum. To have been here for so many years, basically since the very beginning, and to be officially warned, as in "you get three warns and you are banned", well, that freaked me out. I'd never had any kind of warnings in the past, ever. And I didn't and don't want to be banned, so I figured I'd only post when I felt a strong need to, and I would have to read my posts over carefully to make sure that I hadn't said those four letter words "sale" and "sell".
default_sad.png

Even writing this post makes me nervous. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells....

All opinions should be respected and shared - not just those who post the most and the LOUDEST....
default_laugh.png
Forums are meant to be a sharing of ideas, thoughts and concerns - and yet that concept seemed to be a bit hard to embrace at times... and then some wanted to get personal and at times, downright hostile and rude. It did not matter if you had personal experience and factual insight to share about something - if it was not what some wanted to hear it could get very ugly - and often did.
default_no.gif
And then, regrettably, we all would get caught up in the drama and just make things worse.

That was what shut down the political threads... not the topics themselves.
default_unsure.png

We all need to remember that ALL opinions should be treated with respect and welcomed - no matter how heated a discussion may get or whether we agree with that opinion or not.

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
VERY, VERY true words here in this post!!! Let's all keep this in mind and be RESPECTFUL of each other, because if not, we may just end up with political threads being banned once again!
default_wink.png

Another reason not yet mentioned as to why threads are often locked or deleted is because the original poster asks us to.

I'm not sure who wasn't careful before. It's been awhile and I forget... but I remember it got pretty heated because there are simply a lot of people who cannot accept well backed up opinions if they're not the same opinions they choose to hold. That brings it right back to exactly what I like most about FaceBook. Say whatever you want, share whatever news you want, and the "worse" that can happen is someone might defriend you. It's great to be able to say and read what you like without worrying about your thoughts being deleted or (worse) edited.

One thing I specifically do remember others being outraged about, but it's still how I feel, is that when it comes to US politics, the only opinions that matter to ME personally are those of other US Citizens. Do I think non-US Citizens shouldn't chime in on threads that are specifically about US Politics? No. However, no one is obligated to respond to or read posts that are of no interest to them no matter how repeatedly someone tries to draw them into a discussion.

I wouldn't ask someone who's only lived in New York if living in Florida would be a good idea. I wouldn't ask my attorney for accounting advice. I wouldn't ask someone who has only owned goats how to train a miniature horse. To me, it is only logical when it comes to some specific topics to value the opinions of those who "live the life" over those who observe from a distance.

And, Lori, I think I understand how you feel. I can't remember being accused of trying to sell horses on the message board, but I was told to stop doing something once yet I hadn't done what I was told to stop doing. It's been MANY years ago (way before the political stuff) but you know what -- I still remember it. It honestly hurt my feelings, which is why I still remember it. Many of the people on LB aren't just people on the internet to me, so being told to stop something I hadn't done (and was later told by the person who told me to stop that she really hadn't seen it herself) "stung". So, I think I can really relate to what you're expressing above.

PS is the hit count / popularity rising yet on this thread?
default_biggrin.png

As I recall, Jill, you also didn't want to talk to US citizens who are no longer living in the US....because they apparently don't know anything about US politics or programs since they now live elsewhere with different politics and different programs?

It's one thing asking a NY resident about living in FL, but quite another thing to ask a former FL resident who now lives in NY? The former FL-now-NY resident can give a good comparison of the two places. Just sayin' because overall it really makes no difference to me who anyone does or doesn't talk to!
default_laugh.png

While I don't remember saying that, what you outline is really pretty much how I feel in that it's the opinions of US Citizens who live in the USA that interest me when it comes to US politics. However, that doesn't mean I think others "don't know anything". It does mean that I know what opinions are of interest to me regarding US Politics.

Jill said:
I love LB and always will, however, I do think FaceBook "offers" some stiff internet time competition for any message board these days.
It definitely does. I know I find it very easy to post status updates from the shows, maybe even a few pix, and then by the time I get home I've already been congratulated by my friends and it suddenly seems like a lot of work to do a write-up for the forum when "most people" (I know that's not the case) have already heard. It seems like old news already by the time I'm home!
default_biggrin.png

I realized the other day that I've had Turbo for almost a year and a half now and I don't think I've posted any picture threads except the introductory one (which was six months late too) and have only mentioned him in responding to other people's posts.
default_wacko.png
When I got Kody I was on the forum every single day reading and posted about every show, every major training accomplishment, every fun outing. I guess it's true that once you have your "second child" you don't have time anymore!
default_laugh.png
Still, if I didn't have FB I would have been on here because this is where I made my first miniature horse friends and I would have wanted to share. Now I talk to many of them on the phone and the others I see on FB.

Magic said:
The main reason that I slowed down posting here is because I was warned about posting horses for sale-- and I hadn't. It was just one of those "how many of what do you have" threads, and I mentioned that I was keeping some of the younger horses and some would be sold, but I never said which ones, never mentioned names or any specifics. It definitely wasn't a sales ad or any kind of attempt to sell on the forum. To have been here for so many years, basically since the very beginning, and to be officially warned, as in "you get three warns and you are banned", well, that freaked me out. I'd never had any kind of warnings in the past, ever. And I didn't and don't want to be banned, so I figured I'd only post when I felt a strong need to, and I would have to read my posts over carefully to make sure that I hadn't said those four letter words "sale" and "sell".
default_sad.png
Even writing this post makes me nervous. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells....
AppyLover2 said:
I have to agree that there seems to be a lot of "oversight". After I posted something once and was admonished with a "you know better than that" I felt like a child who's hand had been slapped and started losing interest, not to mention being reluctant to post.
Exactly. In a way being suspended for awhile was a blessing- it broke my addiction to the forum. And it was an addiction! It took about 30 days before I stopped physically hurting with the urge to post!
default_biggrin.png
Now I'm on here all the time because I'm bored at work when the phone doesn't ring but I barely ever visit when I'm home and won't if I get a different job unless something really spectacular happens with my horses.

Mary Lou - LB said:
Should we allow people to fight openly with words and let this happen? ... Should we allow businesses be slammed here? What if it was your child or business?
First of all, let me agree with everyone else in saying THANK YOU MARY LOU FOR HOSTING THIS FORUM!! You work very, very hard for us and I do love LB. But yes, I do think we should be allowed to "fight openly with words." It is not the job of a forum host to try and make people play nice and decide what is "mean." We're adults, not kindergardners! If someone wants to say something negative about my hypothetical business, they have the right to as long as it is stated factually and respectfully. I also have the right to state my side in the same terms. And the moderator has every right to shut down the conversation after that if it starts to devolve into an catfight.
default_wink.png
As for my child, well, I'd hope I'd taught them about correctly presenting themselves on web forums and would be using such an experience as a teachable moment.

But in the end...it isn't my forum.
default_wub.png
It's Mary Lou's, she's trying very hard to make it work for a huge number of people, and I don't envy her the job. I want to be here so I try to play by the rules! I have thankfully never had to consider the lawsuit angle and I'll admit that's pretty scary.
default_unsure.png

And I will say that when it comes to the political discussions...CENSOR AWAY!!
default_new_rofl.gif
That is the one topic I was so relieved to see vanish off the forum. Now that it's back...frankly, I'll be avoiding the Back Porch like the plague.

Leia

I'm really not much for the politics, but I do like to read up on things and sometimes I miss some things if I don't read what other people have to say. I try not to on forums though as it just reminds me how completely blind people become with politics. It is always my side against your side and not entirely about the issues at hand. There is already a topic on here about Lincoln and it says 'most famous republican'....He was an amazing president in many aspects and I could really care less what party he was with. It shouldn't matter.

Anyway, thank you ML for all that you do. I know you are probably bombarded with complaints when certain topics come up and have to do a lot of damage control that we all seem to forget about sometimes.

I for one have tried other forums and this one is by far the best. The knowledge, maturity, and willingness to help here is by far unmatched. Plus, I don't like drama-it is a complete waste of time. For all of those reasons, this forum will always be my only go to.

Jill said:
While I don't remember saying that, what you outline is really pretty much how I feel in that it's the opinions of US Citizens who live in the USA that interest me when it comes to US politics. However, that doesn't mean I think others "don't know anything". It does mean that I know what opinions are of interest to me.
You've got every right to feel that way. I think what rubbed some of us wrong was that you then implied that because their opinion was not of interest to you, personally, they should not comment on those threads. What those coherent, logical, mature adults had to say from a wider world perspective was very interesting to others! If you start a conversation on an open forum anyone is invited to reply. You don't have to care about what they say but implying they don't have a right to say it is something else.

Gah, I'm already getting sucked in! :arg!
default_poke.gif
default_shutup.gif
Run away, run away!

*hustles out the door and vanishes into the driving forum*

Leia

The main reason that I slowed down posting here is because I was warned about posting horses for sale-- and I hadn't. It was just one of those "how many of what do you have" threads, and I mentioned that I was keeping some of the younger horses and some would be sold, but I never said which ones, never mentioned names or any specifics. It definitely wasn't a sales ad or any kind of attempt to sell on the forum. To have been here for so many years, basically since the very beginning, and to be officially warned, as in "you get three warns and you are banned", well, that freaked me out.
Me too, I had posted a reply that mentioned that I was now driving a mare that I had had for sale but decided to keep...and got "THE warning"...ticked me off, been a member for a zillion years, have read tons of other posts with actual references to horses for sale...yet get my fingers virtually slapped for NOT having one for sale. LOLOL! Poor mod must of been having a bad day.

You've got every right to feel that way. I think what rubbed some of us wrong was that you then implied that because their opinion was not of interest to you, personally, they should not comment on those threads...
See, that's just the thing. No, I didn't imply because I'm personally not interested in "outside" opinions on the subject of US Politics that all people from other nations who want to express their opinions shouldn't post them. What I meant and still mean is that those people shouldn't act like, or insist that, I myself am obligated to get into online discussions with them on the subject because I myself have very little interest about their input on that specific topic. While others may find outside opinions of US Politics interesting, I personally don't. That's really all there is to it. Anyone can post anything they want and those who choose to read and/or respond are welcome to do so as far as I've ever been concerned.

default_sad.png

That happened to me months ago (maybe a year?)--and I had not mentioned anyone was for sale!! I felt picked on. Things were more fun when photo posts got more replies. If I post photos here--even once a year, I might get 6 replies. When I post on another forum (not MHR) I get 6 replies in 3 minutes. So, why would I take the time to upload to photobucket? The views are high, but so few reply. I come here about twice a month now simply because there's not much new to read, but one reason I don't add many replies is because I have to wait a minute between each one and that makes me NUTS. Time is limited.
default_wacko.png

PS I don't have a FB page...or whatever it's called.
default_rolleyes.gif

Now I'm on here all the time because I'm bored at work when the phone doesn't ring but I barely ever visit when I'm home and won't if I get a different job unless something really spectacular happens with my horses.
I hope then that you don't get a different job
default_wink.png

I for one would miss the input from you on the driving forum a great deal
default_yes.gif

I'm loving all the participation in this thread - fun fun fun and great hearing from everyone - like old times
default_smile.png

Everyone has good & valid points - interesting to see everyones perspectives on so many different topics within this thread - enjoying reading all the inputs - thank you

default_aktion033.gif

I think what rubbed some of us wrong was that you then implied that because their opinion was not of interest to you, personally, they should not comment on those threads. What those coherent, logical, mature adults had to say from a wider world perspective was very interesting to others! If you start a conversation on an open forum anyone is invited to reply.
Very true.

Anyone can post anything they want and those who choose to read and/or respond are welcome to do so as far as I've ever been concerned.
Jill, to be fair, you repeatedly made it very clear that you were not keen on anyone who did not meet your "criteria" posting on any threads you may have started or taken part in. One had to be a US citizen living here to qualify to have an opinion and not a US citizen living elsewhere - not even someone who has lived here legally and paid taxes etc. for over ten years like me. Or even someone interested in US politics - or any politics. Or anyone with actual experience of the subject at hand who was not a US citizen.

The very nature of a forum is that anyone who is interested in the topic that is started can post. They do not have to pass a test to be able to do so or meet some kind of conditions that determine if their opinions/concerns are acceptable - beyond being a member of that forum and posting in a way that respects the opinions of others.

Okay - jumping in on this fun thread! On other message boards I am on (NHR) I have seen the same thing happening. So many of us have connected on FB, that it feels like a duplication of posting onto the other board, too. Now, that said, I don't have a lot of mini horse contacts on FB because I am not a large farm, I don't breed and don't plan to breed, and we are just now getting back into showing. So, anything mini horse related I get here.

I know a lot of people don't know me - if you look at my "posts count" it would seem I'm not on here much. BUT - I lurked here for YEARS before I officially joined. Even if you don't know me, I feel like I know everyone here personally. I have two websites I visit every day - FB and here. I read almost every topic, but I just don't reply much because sometimes it does seem like a waste of time just to add a "Great job!" or "Very nice" to a topic that has already had those sentiments repeated 27 times prior.

Also, since I don't breed and haven't been in the show ring in years, I don't answer a lot of questions, but leave that to people with more experience, unless I feel like I have something valuable to add. That said, I love reading everything and soaking up all the information - especially on the driving forum as we have plans to get our boys driving this year!

I have learned SO much from LB, and while it has slowed down, it is still the best place to go for information. I never posted on any "controversial" topics. I take things too personally - I know this about myself, so I just stay out of it and enjoy reading them! But just like any train wrecks - they are a huge draw and you just can' t help watching!

Barbara

Latest posts

Back