Do you have any "idiosyncracies?"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
I never considered myself as being anything but totally normal, haha! But my husband has pointed out to me a few things that I do that he says are just "nuts!"

The first thing... whenever I get a glass out of the cupboard to get a drink of water, I have to fill the glass with water and dump it out and then refill it before I drink it. I have always done this, and when I tried to figure out why I did it I think it's because I always wonder if that water is just sitting in a pipe and maybe isn't quite "fresh." I know that the instant I turn on the water faucet there is water, so it's not coming from the well, which is 30 feet from the house. Ergo... it's sitting "somewhere" and it's not as fresh as I seem to think it should be.

The other thing I do is wash out zip loc bags, unless they've had greasy food in them. But if they've had fruit, or bread, or cookies, I always wash them out and reuse them. This drives my husband nuts.

Forty years ago when we were first married we were very poor, and we stayed very poor for the first 15 years or so, and I think I just got in the habit of not wasting anything. My husband always points out that we can afford new stupid zip loc bags, and to stop washing them out and drying them on the windowsill, but I just can't bring myself to throw out a good bag!

And another thing that's weird, and I've been this way since I was a child.... I absolutely cannot get into bed without first peeing. I don't mean I go to the toilet, then brush my teeth and get on my pj's. I mean everything has to be done first, and I have to go right from the toilet to the bed!
default_wacko.png
when I was a young girl my younger brother had a bed wetting problem until he was about 7, and because of that my mom always made me go sit on the pot and wouldn't let me go to bed until she heard me pee. So these days I'm the same. If I can't pee, I can't get into bed.

Maybe I need to see a shrink, eh?
default_new_shocked.gif

Anyone else out there a little weird?

I love these sorts of threads. Ive got to think about a few of mine

FYI I do the same thing with Zip Locks..if its cookies or bread I dont even bother to wash. I just shake out the crumbs and reuse. Some are pretty heavy duty these days and I would expect many people get more than one use out of them
default_thumbup.gif

LOL!! I also do the 'water in the glass' thing, but think it is because I automatically rinse out anything before use, plus I also need to run the water through the pipe to 'get passed' any that has been sitting in the pipe for several hours.

When putting on or taking off shoes it is always the right foot first, but with any sort of trousers/jeans it is the right leg first for putting on, but the left leg first for taking off (does that make sense?)!

Will try to think of a few more as I know I have several - great fun topic by the way!
default_yes.gif

Anna

Weebiscuit...I do all those things, but then, I'm pretty much a walking idiosyncrasy...

I am incapable of throwing away ziploc bags (even food packages that have ziplocs), bread bags, butter, salsa and other sturdy, reusable containers, or ANYTHING that might conceivably be useful anytime in the future.

I have to sleep with the radio on, tuned into BBC news. One of these days I'll wake up with a British accent. NPR's Morning Edition comes on at 3am and repeats a couple of times before I wake up, so I'm soaking up the news in my sleep. I've literally had news items invade my dreams.

I read multiple books at a time...I used to have my nightstand book, my bathroom book, my desk book, and my in-the-car stoplight book. Nowadays they're all on my Kindle, so that little begger has to go everywhere with me.

These are just the beginning...I'd hate to scare everyone off...

I have to pour boiling water into my mug if I'm making a cup of tea or coffee. Even if the jug has just boiled and I've gone to the fridge to get the milk, I have to boil it again and have the water bubbling as I pour it into my mug. My husband reckons I've got an asbestos lined throat as I can drink a hot drink so quickly. I don't like drinking luke warm drinks. A friend of mine will go back and drink from a cup of tea or coffee that was made 20+ minutes before... yuck

I also find I often check my gear stick in the car - dunno why... just a quick touch and I'm ok for a few more kilometres

O.K. I thought of a few

I never take the top newspaper: either at the stand or machine...I always take one from the middle

I dont open up things all the way. Mayo, ice cream, peanut butter any thing that has a lid plus a piece of paper or cardboard on the top. I will not totally remove the paper, I just sort of peel a little it back, scoop out what I need and seal it all back up.

I hate butter knives..will always use steak knife to spread anything

In restaurants the red and yellow squeeze bottles or any for that matter I always unscrew the top and make sure inside the lid is clean ( childhood gross out that I still cant get out of my head )
default_smileypuke.gif

I have toooooooooo many idiosyncrasies!!!

At night, if the thought of peeing even crosses my mind, I have to go pee. I feel like I can't stand it if I don't go pee and it will be like a drop. Talk about mind over matter.

Sometimes when I'm watching TV, if I don't catch something (unimportant) that was said, I'll think "if you don't click it back and listen again, _________ (bad thing) will happen. I know it won't, but I always click it back.

I will only drink milk from a glass or ceramic mug. Never from plastic.

My hair has to be up when I sleep, can't stand it to touch my neck.

It feels like it will bring back luck if I forget to say my prayers before I go to bed each night.

I talk for most of our pets, and a few of them have a really bad problem with saying too many curse words.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's a drinkable liquid, Vodka is always an optional addition. However, sometimes the results are not as I would have hoped.

I am emotionally attached to some of our fish.

My first morning coffee (roll out of bed and head to the kitchen) recipe is 1-2oz very hot tap water and 1 scoop instant coffee which I drink in one gulp like medicine

If I have to go more than 5 or 6 hours without checking The Drudge Report, I get nervous.

Some of my favorite foods are Ketchup Macaroni (elbow macaroni, margarine, splenda and ketchup), mandarin oranges w/ a little bit of ranch dressing, and peanut butter, banana and miracle whip sandwiches.

I never can pass up the chance, while at home, to stick the Dole sticker off our bananas onto my forehead and leave it there until I've forgotten it's on.

default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL this is a funny thread

Well first I have to drink distilled water the only kind I can drink and I if I am not using a straw I can only drink out of a plastic cup never ever glass EVER!!!

I panic totally panic if I have less then 2 1 gallon bottles of water. I suddenly become very thirsty and sure I will not survive if I do not go out to Walmart and get at least 3 more bottles right then that very minute and have gone to the store for water at 2 am even when I had 2 bottles left waiting to go in the fridge.

I talk for most of our pets, and a few of them have a really bad problem with saying too many curse words.
As far as I'm concerned, if it's a drinkable liquid, Vodka is always an optional addition. However, sometimes the results are not as I would have hoped.
lol Jill, My husband and I do the exact same thing...my dogs have a very bad potty mouth, especially when they are talking to me!

I agree, if it's liquid, vodka makes it better, if not vokda then tequilla.

I am alittle ocd, so I have many idiosyncracies about everything we own...I think it is because when growing up we didn't have much so when we buy something, especially a big ticket item, I take care of it like I will never be able to buy another. Not sure that's a bad thing though. I've gotten much better over the years about not obsessing so much.

Hi Gilly and welcome to the forum.

Okay, I have a few that drive my family crazy and it revolves around my purse, car keys, and cell phone. When we are in the car I have my kids check more than once to make sure that my purse in the car and then I make them check to see that the cell phone is in there. Then when we get to our destination and I lock the car........I have to hit the clicker thing at least twice to make sure the doors are locked. Then several times, I have to check my purse to make sure the car keys haven't jumped out. Oh dear, now I'm sounding crazy.
default_laugh.png

I have to sweep the kitchen floor before I make dinner.....don't know why it bothers me so much
default_wacko.png

Humm... lets see.

I don't like people walking with their shoes on in the house. You take them off at the door.

Loud music and barking dogs are painful to me, seriously painful, like jabbing an ice pick in your ears... one reason I live soooo far out in the country. (going to be an issue finding a place in VA, they don't have private forest land like Oregon does, my place is backed up on 3 sides here)

No one is allowed to go any where near my Artist table... and if anyone dared to put anything on my Artist table... they will wish they lived on another planet.

Always read before I go to bed.

Ah yes,,, animals are always fed and cared for before the people get fed.

Well, that is about it. Sure I will remember something else later..or when ever I can find that sticky note I wrote the list or info on.. LOL

default_biggrin.png
Oh Jill we are vodka sisters... just goes to show that while political views and glass or plastic cups can seperate... Vodka can always pull everyone back together ROFL
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill -- my favorite drink mixer is Crystal Light lemonade -- yay!! Diet booze!!! (Well, sorta...)

Shari, just be sure to have slippers available when people visit. My sister-in-law has a shoes off policy, but as I am a diabetic with a proclivity toward cellulitis, I can never walk around in socks -- a pin or odd splinter could result in amputation for me. SIL does not provide slippers, so I have to bring mine if I visit her. She thinks I'm silly, but I've grown rather attached to my feet and want to keep them!

Oh this is so funny, thanks for the laughs.

But yes I have some too.

Toilet paper and paper towels have to be put on, so that I can have the bottom of the sheets roll out from the bottom. ( Hope you know what I mean )

At the grocery store have to check dates and most of the time have to take from the back or bottom for the longest date listed.

After I watch the news last thing at night! cordless phone has to be put back on

holder and T.V. clicker has to put in right place on my computer desk.

Have to have a light on in the kitchen for the night, just in case I need to see

coming down the stairs. Hubby says just but it in on when I go down, nope!! need it on all night.

Susanne, Crystal Light + Vodka is my favorite!!! Especially fruit punch, morning sunrise (orange), and cranberry. That + "Platnium 7x" is really, really good
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin
default_biggrin.png

Oh my goodness... this thread is for me... I try not to do things deemed "obsessive-compulsive" but my friends and family just say I'm "quirky" or "particular"...

I can't remove protective screen covers. Whether on a digital camera screen or the radio in my car, it DOES NOT COME OFF and my husband loves to tease me about taking them off. I sold my truck, which I had for seven years, and it still had the plastic film on the radio.

I can't touch raw eggs. When I bake or cook, the SECOND the egg touches my skin I have to go wash with soap and water. Even if I have more eggs to crack. I threaten my husband that he can NOT eat raw cookie dough because it freaks me out... if he eats the dough he cannot eat the cookies...

I have to tap the countertop when I swallow my vitamins (or pills). My husband asks if it really makes them go down better... I think they do?

Expiration dates make people in my household frustrated... I throw away food even by the "sell by" or "best by" dates which I am told doesn't mean the food expires until a few days later... but a date is a date to me.

When driving in a parking structure, I have to drive with the driver's side seat NOT under the support beams. In case of an earthquake, I don't want to be crushed by them. Then, my husband tells me the support beams are the STRONG part of the ceiling and I should WANT to be under them. So now I'm stressed out when driving in parking structures!

I'm sure there are LOTS more.... :D

Andrea

Ok, I too have to pee before going to bed, plus whenever leaving the house to go some where.

I must tour the house before leaveing twice to make sure nothing is left on, except for the TV witch I leave on for the dogs.

I also must wash my feet before bed even if I just got out of the shower, and brush my teeth.

Can't sleep unless I say my prayers.

Crazy old lady!

Back