Do You Have a Favorite Horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really fun to read through!!!

Erica does something I do, too, which is I tell all the horses (and all the dogs) that they are my favorite. My mom told me she saw some pet expert on TV once who said you should do that and they understand.

And, really, given the right time, the right event, each individual truly is my favorite.

Erica does something I do, too, which is I tell all the horses (and all the dogs) that they are my favorite. My mom told me she saw some pet expert on TV once who said you should do that and they understand.
Well yes, that I do...but I whisper special luvins to My Shooter and Buffie...the true favs...
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

I don't think they understand the word...no...but they certainly do understand tonality.
default_yes.gif
:

I used to think I had one favorite, but lately when I think about selling one to make room for a new one, I don't want to part with any of the horses I have now!
default_wub.png
: I've discovered like others said, they are all my favorites for different reasons!

However that said if I ever had to disperse all my horses and could only keep two, I would keep:

Chips my pure leopard stallion and have him gelded

Chips.rt.7-8-06.jpg

And his son "Cash" who was born this year, he is such a little love! Can't say enough good things about him, and he would probably be gelded as well.

Cash.8-5-06.jpg

<sigh> I have to admit I have a favorite.........

But, like Jill, I also have "specials" too......and I tell them so!

My fav has a story, but don't need to go into it now.

MA

Like others say, I can't really say one horse is my favorite...there are some horses though that I just click with..I have to say I have so much fun with my gelding, Willow Creeks Ultimate Dream aka Freddie. He's only 3 years old, but he sure is talented. He's an awesome country pleasure horse, he loves to jump, and he does well in halter getting an AMHA World top ten. Next year he's going to be doing roadster. And plus he has the best personality and he loves to show.
default_yes.gif
:

100_4128_175.jpg

But I also tell them all that they are my favorite..and at the time they really are..I have a bunch of favorites.
default_wink.png
:

its so hard we love them all but a few are so special

here is my husbands really special pal they go for walks together and climb hills together

my husband doesn't like the pic because he didn't smile but i took this this weekend when they climbed up a hill back by our pond

our stallion "Triple ks Boogie Bow Tie"

9230622006.jpg

Lori

I love this topic but I tried and tried and couldn't pick a favourite, then I saw Kim's post, if I could only keep two of the six I have I would pick:

Munchie (De Bo-Mont Macho) because he was the first and I love his colour, silver bay and his attitude, he also drives and does obstacle, he always nickers when he sees me but then puts his ears back when I tell him I am going to kiss him :bgrin

Jazz (Cross Country All That Jazz) what can I say about Jazz, he is amazing, he does halter, obstacle, jumping and is green broke to drive and is a sweetheart of a horse, he whinnies too when he sees me, loves hugs, kisses and likes to share my cola :bgrin

Of course this is a secret right? I tell all my animals they are my favourite so it wouldn't do if you told them any different okay :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :488:

Yvonne

p.s. Jill I think your Bacardi is fabulous, you ever get tired of him just send him to Canada
default_yes.gif
:

I love all my horses, they each have their special attributes and place in my heart but the one I connect with in the deepest way possible is my 19 year old QH Copper. She is a part of my very soul and there will never be another horse like her in my heart. I will mourn her like no other after she is gone.

The day I brought her home I honestly thought I'd lose her before I had the chance to get her well. She was so weak from starvation and lame, nothing more than a skeleton covered in long shaggy red hair. This was her last April...
copper1stday.jpg

A dear friend did this picture of her as she is now. Somehow she managed to capture the very essence of her elegance and strength. I know I see her through rose colored glasses but to me she is the most beautiful horse in the world and always will be...

Copper.jpg

Wow Shirley!! You have done wonders for your mare! Love that head shoot is just beautiful!

I hate to pick favorites like most do but my Treasure was my heart. Life without her just isn't the same. I miss her sweet face, her loving nickers and her loving ways with me and her boy, Aidan. Every nite we put the remaining 2 to bed and he comes out of the barn and says, "my pony up in blue sky Grammy?".

I can't pick just one! These girls are such sweeties, so easygoing and special to me.

Lauralees Calliope Blisse was born here, and out of one of my alltime favorite mares, Candy.

caliope2.jpg

Lauralees Troubles Skyes The Limit was also born here, sired by my senior stallion Trouble, and out of a fantastic mare, Blossom. Skye was just a few days old in this picture....she now has a filly of her own!

caninurse.jpg

Luv Em Minis Rulers Faith was one of those love at first sight purchases as a weanling.

faith3.jpg

Lauralees Troubles Promise Me Blues is a 2 year old filly that had severe septicemia at birth. She's bratty sometimes but I still love her and am glad she's here!

promise.jpg

All of those girls are my best buddies, content to stand close by and be scritched as long as I can dish it out.

My favorite boys:

Sport had a brilliant show career and is now retired to the fat and fuzzy life. He's a skeeterbug sometimes and full of snort, but we have a special bond and he's my favorite gelding.

sport.jpg

Trouble is a total handful for a stallion, absolutely lives up to his name....but he's my baby too! He's getting on in years, and a cranky old fart.

trouble.jpg

I would have to say that my favorite horse of all time was my very first miniature horse Smokie. I got him when he was two weeks old as my 14th suprise birthday present. He visited his first elementary school when he was three months old and visited his first nursing home when he was four months old. He was my baby. We also attended b-day parties and different activities with my church. He quickly became known as the "church mascot". To make a long story short at ten months old, just two days before Christmas (2005) he died with his little head in my arms. :no: He coliced, majorly, we dont' know exactly why.
default_sad.png
It was just one of those freak things. I held him in my arms down to his very last breath. My mom kept telling me that she would take care of him but I promised Smokie that I wouldn't leave him. I can never forget the words that my mom spoke to me on Smokie's last morning. I was out in the barn holding Smokie on my lap. She looked me in the eyes and said "Anna, Smokie's going to die honey, there isn't anything more we can do".

I already knew before she told me that that he was going to die but I just kept pushing the thought out of my mind, telling myself that he was going to be ok. That he'd live. He was my baby. He would always be the first one to greet me in the mornings, he came in the house and followed me everywhere. I slept with him in the hay while he was sick. I can never get the image out of my head, his little eyes crying to me asking me to make it better. I only wished I could have saved him, I tried. I could just see it in his eyes "help mommy, make it better". I will never forget him, he died hearing me telling him that I loved him and would never forget him. It was truly the hardest thing I ever went through (being only fourteen). I can't express how much I loved that little horse. He touched so many lives, especially mine.
default_wub.png
: And like I promised him, I will never forget him, nor let him be forgotten by others. And even though he is gone, he will forever remain in my heart. My dear, sweet, Smokie. To read more about Smokie's story and see more pics. go to www.thebradleyranch.com and go to "Anna's Minis" then go to "Smokie's Album". Sorry this is so long. Anyways, as you can see, Smokie is my favorite horse of all time. Below are some pics. of him during his short, but fulfilling life.

Smokie and I, the day we brought him home:

3_2_2005351-1.jpg

Smokie's first nursing home trip as a four month old:

[
FamilypicssenttoBabe061.jpg

Smokie at the fair with a little girl:

Howsweet.jpg

Smokie at the fair visiting with some little cowboys:

Smokieandlilcowboys-1.jpg

Smokie at a b-day party:

Smokieatabirthdayparty.jpg

Smokie, the very last picture taken of him, just a couple weeks before he died
default_wub.png
: :

Smokie6.jpg

Go to my website to see more pics. www.thebradleyranch.com God bless!!!!

OK...I really tried to play along and did try to decide on a favorite but I honestly couldn't. There are some really great stories here that I've enjoyed reading but I don't have anything comparable that would have bonded me more to one horse than another. They really are all my favorites - but for different reasons.

I am in the habit of doing the same thing with my minis that I do with the kids. I am always telling my human kids individually that they are my "favorite child" and giving them different special reasons why. This is always a during a private moment when the other kids are not around to hear it and I act like it is a big secret that no one else can know (ESPECIALLY their brothers/sister). I get a huge kick out of the smug little smirky smiles and twinkle in the eyes (and hugs) that I usually get in return - unless of course they are crabby or cranky - then I get the eye rolls and the sighs. I know they figured out a long time ago that they are all told they are my "favorite" but they still like hearing it and the reasons why.

I do the same thing with the horses constantly. I always have treats in my pocket and I will sneak a mini a treat and pet them and scratch on their neck and whisper to them that they are my "favorite" and then tell them all sorts of reasons why - true reasons - that are different for each horse. I swear I get the same smug satisfied and contented look from the horses that I get from the kids. I do have one though that I am thinking of right now - almost like he is reading my mind as I type this (that stinker) - Phantom for those of you that know him) that is super expressive and emotional and he will raise his head up from grazing and look at me - even from a distance - when I am giving another horse attention and give me a look that totally says to me " you go right ahead and tell him/her what you want, we both know I am really truly the favorite and the SUPERSTAR (or as I call him - the SUPASTAAH) around here but I don't want the others to feel bad. He is in my head now trying to influence me to admit to everyone he's the favorite (I'm not kidding either) but I'm trying to ignore him. I had to come back and edit this part to add......I looked at my post and my eyes went over to my avatar and I could swear Phantom winked at me. He is the palomino pinto my son is holding in the middle of the picture that is peeking over the National Champion sign. Anyway....moving right along........

Back to the human kids.......my husband and I tease them all the time and will ask stuff like "who is your favorite parent.......mom or dad?" but we've never been able to get any of them to pick one over the other. We only get variations of "I like you both the same" or "you both are my favorite" even when we try bribes. They know how to play the game.
default_wink.png
:

I asked my 4 year old which one of us he would come in and save if we were both trapped in a burning building and could only get to one of us and he said neither.....he would call the fire department because then lots of firemen could come and put out the fire and save us both plus the building. pretty smart kid.

We have fun with it and as a bonus they are learning a little bit about diplomacy and appreciating and enjoying differences / unique attributes in others whether animal or human.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I dont like to pick favorites but hands down everybody that knows me, knows my gelding Zodiak or Zod-man would be it. That horse and I just have a bond that is unbreakable for many reasons he is and will always be my boy.

ok i thought about it such a hard question but the horse i couldn't part with is our only gelding

"Cozy Corners Just Gone Bananas" (Draft/Quarter horse type mini)

He is just perfect to me he is 29.5" he does trail class, and drives great too

He hates to jump so we skip that class

But he has been in 2 class plays with his previous owner and he is so dependable honest driving gelding he also rides but we don't have any kids small enough to ride him he has also been shown in riding classes.

we have also taken him in 2 parades

Here is me and "Banana"

HPIM0128.jpg

Well my most favourite horse would have to be my 37" B gelding.. hes soo cute.. but was perty rude when i started on him.. now hes almost perfect (still a little dominating but hardly ever to me) i love the way he chooses people to listen to.. some people could try to work with him and he'll ignore the fact the they're even there!! hes weird like that tho
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: well here he is!

Littlefoots Alfalfa:

IMG_0770.jpg

Alfalfa182.jpg

and him and i

IMG_0761.jpg

look at him isnt he just so lovable?!?!?

IMG_0760.jpg

His most loved horse :lol: is Littlefoots Sweetgrass leased by Devon Glodziak"mini luver hart wee man" owned by Sandy Caja "lilfoot"

2 years ago:

Love.jpg

spring:

prettyenough.jpg

and last of all him just being a goof!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
:
default_wub.png
: :lol: :bgrin
default_smile.png

sillyalfalfalon.jpg

sorry if the pics were too big.. and SORRY for all the pics.. i do love him alot
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all my guys but love my Starstruck the most (don't tell the others, lol)

He was my first mini. Mom bought him at the slaughter yard - took 3 hours to catch him (actually he hopped on the trailer after she gave up chasing him :lol: ). She brought him home and I claimed him
default_yes.gif
:

We bonded quickly. He had lots of medical issues that had to be fixed but is healthy now with little visible damage
default_yes.gif
: . I trained him to jump so he could go with me and my quarter horse (they are very jealous of each other - sibling rivalry
default_wink.png
: ). Then trained him to drive so I could follow mom and her Joey to the fish pond.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Well we actually raced. He follows me around, we share candy and popcorn, he gives kisses, tries to come in the house, and a major show off and camera ham
default_wub.png
:

Some of my fav pics:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

100_1403bc.jpg

Isn't that the sweetest face
default_rolleyes.gif
:

scan0007.jpg

2006 AMHR National Youth Jumper -4th

100_2616b.jpg

Who me?

scan.jpg

Driving on!
default_wub.png
:

100_2905b.jpg

Are you getting this mom?

He can be a little sassy
default_wink.png
:

sorry , I have a lot of favorite pics
default_yes.gif
:

Oh, I hardshipped him and he has multiple national top 5 and 10 placings, HOF jumper, and lots of other HOF points -in halter, Single pleasure driving, roadster, liberty(2 pts away from HOF), hunter, versatility and obstacle!

He was my first mini. Mom bought him at the slaughter yard - took 3 hours to catch him (actually he hopped on the trailer after she gave up chasing him ). She brought him home and I claimed him
default_yes.gif
:
:eek: how could that gorgeous thing be sent to a slaughter yard!!
default_wacko.png
:

i love him hes a cutie

Latest posts

Back