Do any of you keep big(in other words full size) horses with your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking small

Reaction score
I am ending this thread. I was just inquiring as to whether i was correct with my thoughts and wanted some feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
No here too-it's all ok until it's not any more. I know there are many who do it and haven't had problems, but even a small play kick can do serious damage so I have never chanced it.

No here too-it's all ok until it's not any more. I know there are many who do it and haven't had problems, but even a small play kick can do serious damage so I have never chanced it.
Yes, a good statement... i didn't really like the idea but as i said i wanted to inquire.

That was it here. A playful kick that landed in the wrong spot
default_no.gif

I turn my high dollar show mare (full sized) out with our mini mares for turn-out. She loves her mini girlfriends and I do not have to worry about them hurting her or her hurting them, for the most part. There is always a risk when you turn any horses, large and small or same size together. I especially think it would be very hard to try and feed them appropriately as they have such a huge difference in daily amounts of feed fed.

I also highly recommend keeping them separate. I was going to pick up a mini mare from a friend of mine and the people that she boarded her horses with decided to turn their big horse in with her minis. Well long story short the morning I was going to get the mare, the big horse kicked her in the head crushing her skull and also broke her back leg, it killed the mare. Not worth it.

That was it here. A playful kick that landed in the wrong spot
default_no.gif

Oh dear, yes that was a concern of mine.

I turn my high dollar show mare (full sized) out with our mini mares for turn-out. She loves her mini girlfriends and I do not have to worry about them hurting her or her hurting them, for the most part. There is always a risk when you turn any horses, large and small or same size together. I especially think it would be very hard to try and feed them appropriately as they have such a huge difference in daily amounts of feed fed.
Yes, i don't think the dynamics of it would work but i felt i should ask..

I also highly recommend keeping them separate. I was going to pick up a mini mare from a friend of mine and the people that she boarded her horses with decided to turn their big horse in with her minis. Well long story short the morning I was going to get the mare, the big horse kicked her in the head crushing her skull and also broke her back leg, it killed the mare. Not worth it.

So sad.

One thing you could consider tho is keeping the mini across the fence from the full size horses. When I have a horse who can't live with anyone else for some reason (in my case a stallion who is far too dominant to share his space) I always make sure they at least have a common fence line with another horse. That keeps them safe without feeling isolated. Might work for your girl if you can set up an area just for her, maybe in the middle of the saddle horses pasture so she can feel part of the herd with out being in danger. Just a thought.

One thing you could consider tho is keeping the mini across the fence from the full size horses. When I have a horse who can't live with anyone else for some reason (in my case a stallion who is far too dominant to share his space) I always make sure they at least have a common fence line with another horse. That keeps them safe without feeling isolated. Might work for your girl if you can set up an area just for her, maybe in the middle of the saddle horses pasture so she can feel part of the herd with out being in danger. Just a thought.

No. I do have a full size horse and had biggies before minis. I would not keep them together. Just like i wouldn't ride or drive without a seat belt. Lots of people do. Does that mean iit's a good idea?

We bought our first mini as a companion for our big horse but KEEP THEM IN SEPARATE ENCLOSURES using round pen panels. They can be members of the same "herd" this way and still be safe. Our mini herd has expanded and the big horse is now in a different separate pasture, but he can still see and interact through the fence with some of the minis and loves them!

No. I do have a full size horse and had biggies before minis. I would not keep them together. Just like i wouldn't ride or drive without a seat belt. Lots of people do. Does that mean iit's a good idea?
Ok i just meant i know people do. i never said i thought it was a good idea, personally i find that a rather hurtful response. I think i'll have this thread closed.
no.gif

Minis and bigs together is essentially how I ended up with a mini appy gelding. He and his buddy were together since weaning, owner gave them away, new owners got tired of them being separated from big horses, threw all together for people's convience, and one mini ended up dead; and the other is now in my corral, so he won't be lonely (he was given to me, since I had minis, he'd have same size companion). [He now lives in the lap of luxury and has a companion his size and they aren't turned out with full-size ever.]

I hope you don't close the topic.

I do know people who think it's fine to keep biggies with minis. I see them often when on our travels thru the countryside.

However I hope your topic will keep those who are wondering about it, from trying it.

People who have not had a tragedy will say, "oh my big horse is just such a sweetie and so gentle" well, so was my fullsize appie mare. She playfully kicked up her heels and my miniature horse was dead.

I think you were very wise to ask the forum members and I hope we have been helpful
default_aktion033.gif

I dont have minis anymore, sold the last one this summer. That said I had them running together for almost 5 years with out issue. Really depends on the horses. The sizes ranged from 28" on up to 15'3.

I do not mean the response I gave to be hurtful (and don't see how it reasonably would be). Just my honest opinion and not one expresseed without concern for little horses.

please don't close this thread as it is very helpful for other people, I have my minis in with my stock horse who is older and very docile it depends on the mini and the big horse and also the size paddock they are in,

JMHO

I probably shouldn't have my first post here be such a controversial issue
default_wink.png
But in the interest of adding another point of view...

I do. My big horses are small at 13.3 and 14.2, and our minis are all very tall Bs, and the herd works well with the big horses I have. The biggest gelding is also the biggest baby, and moves off hay whenever one of the minis gives him a dirty look or a flick of an ear. And my 13.3 mare rules all with a dirty look, and with that she leaves everyone alone and they leave her alone. With different personalities I wouldn't try it. For me and my horses it works.

Off to safer waters now...
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back