DNA Colour Mistakes.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzie

Reaction score
I have recently heard of a DNA colour test, coming back as something it could not even possibly be. It pays for all of us, to understand DNA colour and how it is determined.

I know for a fact, that the stallion's DNA, has just recently been incorrectly determined by one of the well known companies.

When you know and understand what each colour tag really means, and know what they can and cannot produce, you really should make sure that it is correct - regardless of what the company sends you as a result.

This finding was a bit surprising to me, but mistakes can be made. Just to explain. The stallion in question, is most definitely Ee, and has produced red (chestnut) offspring, yet he came back retested by a new owner, as EE. There could of course, be different explanations. The said stallion might not have been the sire of the red foals. (This was absolutely impossible. He was with the mares all the time, and no other stallion of any breed, within miles. Besides, his offspring just by their looks, are most definitely his. )

The stallion's new owner, might have not labelled the hair correctly when admitting it to the testing lab.

The testing lab, might have mixed up two batches of hair.

Anyway, just a heads up, to encourage everyone to carefully look over each DNA result they get and not automatically think it's correct.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a newish lab offering very cheap testing that was very unreliable. I know a lot here used them and it was not good.

But for sure nothing is fool proof.

This was one which we all know and many of us use. There again, we have used them for years without a problem. Who knows what happened. I suppose everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

Lizzie

Any chance the dam to the "red" foal is silver (or carries silver), and the foal is silver bay rather than red based. Many silver bay foals have been mistaken for sorrel, especially to those new to what silver looks like.

It happened to me recently with a buckskin mare I had just purchased. They said she was not cream at all and was Ee. Though her mom is a grulla so she could have been dun, but didnt have any dun characteristics. I sent in hair sample to another well known lab and they came back with cream and EE. So I had to send in another sample to the first place and they came back with the same results as the second place did. They did credit me for the two results that were wrong and I didnt have to pay for the retest.

Kinda makes ya wonder sometimes if some of your test results are correct or not. But future foals will prove that. Guess even the big testing places make mistakes.

Marsha

Any chance the dam to the "red" foal is silver (or carries silver), and the foal is silver bay rather than red based. Many silver bay foals have been mistaken for sorrel, especially to those new to what silver looks like.
No question chandab. It was an absolute mistake on the part of the lab. They did admit it, when the stallion was retested. We pretty much DNA test for everything known within the breed/s we have. Offspring of course, can confirm or deny what is suggested by the testing labs. In Gypsies, most test for everything. So far, we have never found a frame horse. Not really surprising, since it is unknown in old UK breeds.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back