Dissappearing Tail...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foster Woods Miniatures

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So it appears that my gelding is shedding... his tail.

Everyday I've went out to the barn, i find a mess of tangled hair in his bedding. its a LOT. his tail is getting really thin. I've tried braiding, wraping with vet wrap, I've even wrapped the handle on his bucket (I found some stuck in there too). None of my other horses are having this problem, and I dont see where he would be rubbing it anywhere!

Maybe you can help me!

Thanks

I don't have any answers, but I've had this happen too. I have a couple who seem to shed tail hair excessively with hair coats, seems to happen in spring and summer though when they are shedding body hair. I have a now 3 yr old gelding who lost a pretty significant part of his tail last year - otherwise healthy, good hair coat. He has a pretty thick tail normally and it has nearly grown back but he had a thin "tail" in the middle of his tail for awhile lol, several inches longer and not attractive. The only thing I've done since last fall is keep him on Platinum Performance all the time.

Jan

+1 on Platinum Performance from the dog world. We have a couple of geriatric dogs, one with a congenital health issue, and Platinum is part of the reason you would never be able to guess it. Our plan is to use the equine version.

This is interesting! I am boarding a horse right now with a gorgeous, thick mane. His tail is long, but the bottom half is thin, top is thick. Very odd looking. He also has seperation in his hooves. I thought goats had nibbled his tail, but now I'm wondering if it is a nutrition thing, connected to the hoof issue. I've had him 6 weeks, and he is on the supplement and feed regimen of my own horse. I'm hoping his tail will improve.

We've had tail loss happen due to a variety of situations. Along with your nutritionional supplements I would suggest a product I believe called MTG. I usually buy it Tractor Supply. It always worked great for new tail and mane regrowth.You rub into the affected area.Always had wonderful results with this product.

I don't really understand how MTG is supposed to work but I have used it. While it stinks to high heaven, it contains a large amount of oil (good for brittle hair) and, I supspect, the smell is the product that reduces the itching since that is how a lot of tails are lost. It could have been wishful thinking but it seemed to work on my old gelding that (in 8 years hasn't grown his tail below his hocks). It seemed to thicken and lengthen a bit to me and then I stopped using it as I didn't want to take him to shows with that stink.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing that comes to mind is vitamins and minerals. Is he getting enough?

Deficiencies of some water soluble vitamins and minerals can cause excessive hair loss.

I have my horses on a sweet block that has various vitamins and minerals. One vitamin in particular is Biotin (B-7) which is important for many metabolism functions which includes hair production.

Latest posts

Back