Did you see this coming?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really bummed when I read that. We don't have one here, but I hate the thought of any bookstore closing. I LOVE just browsing bookstores. I'm still not over losing Borders, that was my favorite store ever.

I don't know how it will affect the book world. Borders have been closing for a while. I personally don't mind. We don't live anywhere near malls so I've learned to use Amazon to browse and my kindle to have free samples sent. And I love being able to read reviews on Amazon by other readers. I do think it's the internet that's changed the existence of all retail book stores. I still do love the smaller local book stores and my special favorite when I can find one are musty old used book stores. Those are wonderful to me.

Don't have any chain bookstores around here, but I loved B&N when I was in CO; and love to stop anytime I'm in a town with one.

It actually doesn't surprise me. Our "new" local Borders outlet closed about 18mos ago, with I think less than 2yrs of being there. Amazon and electronic books will make physical books less and less purchased is my hunch.
default_sad.png

That's what I'm worried about. If big book chains are closing down, will publishers continue to publish books to sell for smaller businesses? I don't want them to push physical books into extinction, like they did to VHS when DVDs started coming out.

I have a B & N about 25 miles away. Sad to say, I don't go in that direction very often. I have started checking out amazon to see what books are out there. Then there is also ebay. I hope this trend doesn't mean that librarys will start closing. I really do like holding a book but I did start checking out the ereaders again to save on space and dusting.

Oh no! How did I miss this news? I am saddened to think that physical books might be on the way out in the future. I do often buy books from Amazon, but I still love to go to Barnes & Noble (yes, we do have a local one) and hold the books in my hands and read covers, etc. I don't always purchase, guess that's part of the problem!

I feel bad because I like to go into the one about 25 miles from us, and walk down the isles reading the book covers. When I find one I'm interested in, I copy the name/author on my phone, come home, and add it to my Amazon wishlist.

When we were doing the "77 Shadow St" group read, B&N was selling it for $9.99 (not including tax). I bought it from Amazon for $6.50 (including shipping). If only they would lower their prices to give the internet companies a run for their business. I would much rather not have to wait for one to be shipped to me, but with saving $4.00+ on each book, I can buy two books for the price of one.

Latest posts

Back