Did anyone listened to the talk about AKC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Last night my husband and watched and listened to the talk about inbreeding

Did not see the beginning. Did anyone else watch this?

One lady alone, trying to get the AKC to change their standards on certain dogs?

One of the breeds is the spaniel dog breeders being they have a terrible brain problem with the breed and breeders knowing this, still breeding.

I was shocked and amazed, we now have a different look out on some registered dogs.

changes for 2009 are going to be made, but looks like they are worried about people showing their dogs so do not want to make to many waves...
default_new_shocked.gif

What sort of changes?

As for a single person requesting changes that's interesting as its typically the parent breed club that has the weight to get the AKC to alter stuff.

What sort of changes?
As for a single person requesting changes that's interesting as its typically the parent breed club that has the weight to get the AKC to alter stuff.
It is the parent club that controls changes to the breed standard and not individuals nor the AKC.

I think the program you are referring to was actually in Australia

Only the parent club can change a standard,( and it has to be by a vote from the membership) and then only with approval from the AKC.

I dont think we will see any drastic changes in breed standards here in the US. What we may see in the very near future is a ban on cropping and docking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that is why I wondered if anyone else watched this.

She went to her MP etc. and people where surprised and she is not backing down.

Well, as I said did not watch it all, but also mentioned the pekinesse that won championship had some operation because of his throat and should not be breeding...found that interesting..

was on channel 29 last evening here.

The show was from England and from what I am reading on some of my dog list very biased.

It is pure animal rights propaganda. One sided ( theirs of course) One person said she had agreed to be interviewed only to have them change thier mind about her once they realised she would not parrot what THEY wanted her to say.

The AR folks are very dangerous, not only to dog owners, exhibitors, breeders but to ALL animal owners, exibitors, breeders.

Well, that is why I wondered if anyone else watched this.She went to her MP etc. and people where surprised and she is not backing down.

Well, as I said did not watch it all, but also mentioned the pekinesse that won championship had some operation because of his throat and should not be breeding...found that interesting..

was on channel 29 last evening here.

I've seen it before and chose not to watch it again last night. Every breed of dog has some genetic flaws that can crop up (as do humans) but if you would like to be sure to avoid getting a puppy who's life will be shortened by some breeding based issue I would suggest supporting the breeders who spend the money testing their breeding stock for the KNOWN issues before they create that litter. That is no guarantee but it will surely help.

Last night my husband and watched and listened to the talk about inbreeding Did not see the beginning. Did anyone else watch this?

One lady alone, trying to get the AKC to change their standards on certain dogs?

One of the breeds is the spaniel dog breeders being they have a terrible brain problem with the breed and breeders knowing this, still breeding.

I was shocked and amazed, we now have a different look out on some registered dogs.

changes for 2009 are going to be made, but looks like they are worried about people showing their dogs so do not want to make to many waves...
default_new_shocked.gif
Arista propoganda. That's exactly the effect they want to make on the public.

Shelley

All breeds of dogs have certain genetic flaws. It is up to the buyer to research the breed and find out what problems these dogs tend to have...most reputable breeders will not breed dogs that have these flaws and will go to great lenghts to test their stock prior to breeding. These tests are expensive and time consuming but REPUTABLE BREEDERS DO THIS TO BETTER THE BREED THEY LOVE!! Often this cost is passed on to the buyer...it doesnt guarantee a perfectly sound dog but it sure helps with piece of mind!! If any one has their heart set on a pure bred dog...Buy from a breeder that has a history of showing his or her dogs......IMO those are the ones that are going the extra mile to do right by their breed!!

Dont get me started on the AKC....they IMO have lots of flaws w/their registry....it is a business to them!!

I have to add I have an American GSD w/a very angled top line...very extreme OFA Excellent and my little girl who has the same top line and maybe even less extreme OFA POOR...both parents were OFA Good....just goes to show you ....you never know...but I would still never purchase a GSD whose parents were not checked. Heidi

Latest posts

Back