Diarrhea in Donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjackjack

Reaction score
I have another question, maybe I just should not have gotten donkeys. I worry about these two all the time. My jennet has diarrhea. What could cause this. I just noticed it tonight. She doesn't seem to be acting any differently. Should I call the vet? Do I wait and it will pass?

Have you changed their hay?

are they grazing on 'GREEN" grass?

My Bunny is VERY sensitive to alfalfa .... it is in the Mix I sometimes buy. She is the only one that gets the squirts
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Have you wormed them recently??

Have you changed their hay?

are they grazing on 'GREEN" grass?

My Bunny is VERY sensitive to alfalfa .... it is in the Mix I sometimes buy. She is the only one that gets the squirts
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Have you wormed them recently??

I wormed them yesterday. They are eating green grass. They have been eating the grass since saturday. The vet was here and I showed him the area that they would be moving to and he told me not to worry about the grass in the area because it was not the spring grass. He said that the only time to worry about them eating the grass was in the spring because the spring grass is rich. He told me not to mow it and let me eat. But I did worm them yesterday. She is acting fine and don't act sick. As a matter of fact, we had rain here all day today and because they were in most of the day, I gave them each a peppermint wafer for a treat and she ate it just fine. That is when I notice that she had diarrhea.

It could be the wormer.

they are young and their bodies are going through all of their "First's"

My Bunny is very sensitive to worming...especially the "5" day wormer
default_rolleyes.gif
:

What did you give them?? I believe COMBO wormers are NOT good.

[SIZE=18pt]* [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Hay...can someone explain the 5 day Worming program ??[/SIZE]

I know it is [SIZE=12pt]not [/SIZE]for the little ones but it is necessary as they they older.

I am such a dumba** ... Bless Nikki... she taught me about the 5 day :aktion033: :bgrin
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

The wormer was called "Safe-guard" It is put out by intervet. It is a paste
Safeguard is good ... it is what I use
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]When I rotate .....[/SIZE] OK

Now can someone educate about rotation ???

* I just don't know how to properly say it???

default_rolleyes.gif
: Hay... It wasn't that long ago I learned myself ...
default_wink.png
:

This is to let you all know who responded to my thread that the diarrhea is gone. It must have been the wormer. These little guys are just a worry, but they are worth it. Thanks to all of you.

I am so glad your donkeys are feeling so much better.Worming can be tuff on there little tummies
default_wub.png
: I always do the 5 day panacure on all new horses and donkeys (adults only!) ROTATIONAL WORMING....it involves giving the donkeys a differant wormer from a differant class of wormers about every 8 weeks. You dont really just want to switch a product within the same class of wormers because its not really rotating, :eek: and parasites seem to build up a resistance to certain wormers, which would involve the entire class of meds in that group of wormers. Following so far..Teri?? So here is how I worm my group:

JANUARY~Use a product with Fenbendazole, such as Safe-Guard for general parasite control and removal of all stages of encysted small strongyles.

MARCH~ Use a product product, with ivermectin (with or without praziquantel) for general parasite control, and removal of bots and tapeworms.

MAY~ Use a product, with pyrantel pamoate for general parasite control.

JULY~ Use a product with Fenbendazole, such as Safe-Guard for general parasite control

SEPT~ Use a product with Ivermectin (with or without praziquantel), for general parasite control and removal of bots and tapeworms.

NOVEMBER~ Use a product with pyrantel pamoate for general parasite control.

Dont forget donkeys do get lung worms too. I think everyone has there own worming rotational program to follow, but this is what I do and its has worked great for me. Hope this help you. Teri, didnt I send you a link awhile ago for a deworming chart..it was a freebie? I'll look if I still have it. Ce

Just another idea....

I noticed that my jenny has cow-pie type poopy right when she starts being in heat. It lasts about a day, then they're firm again. It could be that mine is just weird, but it could be something to keep in mind.
default_smile.png

Jayne

Just another idea....

I noticed that my jenny has cow-pie type poopy right when she starts being in heat. It lasts about a day, then they're firm again. It could be that mine is just weird, but it could be something to keep in mind.
default_smile.png

Jayne

Thank you. Hopefully that is was not it. She was hopefully bred in July. But I will keep a close eye on her. Your is not weird, they just all have their own little things about them.

Following so far..Teri?? Teri, didnt I send you a link awhile ago for a deworming chart..it was a freebie? I'll look if I still have it. Ce
Thanks Ce ... I think I am going to start following your schedule

Yes
default_yes.gif
: I still have that email/link somewhere
default_rolleyes.gif
: but list it if you find it ....I'll look too

It'll be helpful for others too
default_yes.gif
:

Back