diarea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I cant find previous post. By we noticed one of our mares has diarea. Any sugestions

Most common reason for Diarrhea in NJ is sand. Sand irritates the bowel and the horse gets runny manure. I would try an ounce of metamucial daily for a week, I bet it clears up.

For regular old diarrhea,You could try Pepto bismol, or even yogurt. Those things frequently help too.

I had a stallion that always had diarrhea until I switched him from a sweet feed to pellets. He couldn't take the molasses in the sweet feed.

I also had a colt with bad diarrhea and it was the beginning symptom of an ulcer starting.

Treatment all depends on the cause I guess.

Good luck, Lea,

Robin

That is exactly what it was. She ate the bottom of the feed (by accident)and it was sandy and now has the you know whats. We really dont have a lot of sand so I bet that is what it was. Do you give liquid? Flavored???

Last edited by a moderator:
i've been having this problem off and on with my new gelding. i did the poop-in-a-bottle test and sure enough, there was a small amount of sand in the bottom of the jar. he has been getting metamucil every day for one week but i don't think it's been long enough to be effective since he's only been here one month. i think i will "up" it to 2 weeks and then cut back to a week after i see better results.

i use the "regular flavor", walmart brand ("equate"). it's very powdery but mixed in with a tiny bit of sweet feed, they get it all and my big gelding licks the bottom of his bucket so it must taste pretty yummy.

I use Pepto Bismal. About 20 cc. for every 50 to 60 pounds of body weight, given with a syringe. Once they get a taste of it they usually take it well, as I buy the cherry flavored.

And whenever I have a case of diarrhea, I ALWAYS give them Pedia-lyte as well, as it provides needed electrolytes. I buy the juice kind, apple-flavored, and I squirt a bit in their mouth a few times so they can get used to the taste. Once they get used to it they rather enjoy it, so I put a whole bottle of it in their water bucket. If they have severe diarrhea, I will use a syringe to get a half-bottle into them quickly, but you have to be careful with a syringe with such a watery liquid, so you don't get it down the windpipe or choke them.

I use Pepto Bismal MAXIMUM strength, the walmart brand its cheaper. 35cc twice a day for cow patties, usually clears it up in 2-3 days.

Latest posts

Back