deworming question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spots n splashes

Reaction score
For those that use daily wormer, how often in a year do you deworm with paste and which paste to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every six months. In the fall, I do a Panacur Powerpack, so the horses come off of their daily wormer for 5 days and get the Powerpack and then go back on the daily. The spring wormer is Ivermectin/praziquantel just once.

Every six months. In the fall, I do a Panacur Powerpack, so the horses come off of their daily wormer for 5 days and get the Powerpack and then go back on the daily. The spring wormer is Ivermectin/praziquantel just once.
This is going to sound stupid but what is powerpack? I just started using daily wormer on the show horses. The rest of the herd gets wormed every 7 weeks with different paste every worming.

Our minis are on Preventicare (thank goodness!) and that requires daily Strongid plus a paste dewormer every six months by a vet. We always used Ivermectin. (Now that Pfizer has purchased the maker of Quest, they require Quest for the paste wormer and my vet has to certify that they were wormed with that but please do NOT use Quest!!!).

Our minis are on Preventicare (thank goodness!) and that requires daily Strongid plus a paste dewormer every six months by a vet. We always used Ivermectin. (Now that Pfizer has purchased the maker of Quest, they require Quest for the paste wormer and my vet has to certify that they were wormed with that but please do NOT use Quest!!!).
I know about Preventicare. My Quarter horses were insured through them and I had to do the daily Strongid wormer. I don't have them insured now because I decided to stay with minis only and have them for sale. I don't use Quest on any of the horses. That's the first thing we learned when we got into minis and never used it once.

What a PowerPac does is get rid of encysted strongyles, something that no other wormer, aside from Quest, does. If a horse has encysted strongyles, the horse may appear run-down and not quite right without seeming actually sick, and he may be more likely to pick up other kinds of infections. It is a double dose of Panacur given daily for 5 days. I've used it with the big guys and now with the minis, after discussing it with my vet.

I usually have horses age two and under on the daily dewormer. In that case, I still deworm with paste every eight weeks (rotating ingredients).

I just find the daily dewormer keeps pot bellies at bay. I've never had a problem with actual parasites.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back