Devastating, Lost a Foal to a Gastric Ulcer ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLS

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why and how a completely healthy one month old foal would have ulcers??. We have been breeding and raising foals for 17 years; I had lots of sick babies over the years, but never one like this. Our little Poco was fine on Saturday afternoon, a very spunky little colt, by 8:30 pm. he was down and seemed to have a mild colic. We gave him some pepto and a mild shot of Anafen, have done this several times before. We had just put the mares with foals in a new pasture about 3 hours earlier and I was SURE he must have ate too much or maybe a weed that was not good. With all the rain this month, the grass has been so plentiful. So I was sure he had a gas colic from over eating. How much grass could a small month old baby eat anyway?

I watched him through the night and he seemed to be improving, then about 4:30 am. he got worse, I called the vet and he arrived about an hour later. Said he was sure it was ulcers and gave him a shot and some meds for ulcers, with instructions for more meds .........so I thought he would be fine. By 9:00 am he is getting worse, and Vet #2 now arrives, not sure what he has. Tried to tube him with no success, and gave him more meds for gas colic. By 3:00 poor colt is really suffering, now he is dragging his back end around and trying to nurse but the pain makes him just drop to the ground. The most devastating sight. Now you can hear fluid in his belly when he tries to roll. Call the vet back and he says he will do some research, vet calls again says it could be a ruptured bladder.? Vet admits he is at a loss as to what is wrong with this colt. Finally, I suggest he make a third trip and we do an ultrasound of the abdomen. The poor baby is in such pain it is just heart breaking. Vet now thinks it is probably a perforated gastric ulcer and he is too young and weak for surgery; so we opt to put the little guy to sleep. WE will never know for sure what happened to our spunky little Poco, but at least now is free from pain. And I hope NEVER to see this again. I still think the fresh pasture had something to do with his illness. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this.?

Babies can crash so quickly...I'm sorry for your loss. Did they do a necropsy? Might tell you something. I can tell you I've had a foal with ulcers, at least he responded favorably to ulcer meds within a couple of days so we kept him on a 30 day course. He'd had no particular stress in his life that I could see but just wasn't 100% ever, never got past foal heat diarrhea until we put him on Gastroguard. I hope you are able to find some answers.

Jan

So very sorry for the loss of your sweet colt! Poor little guy.
default_no.gif

I am so sorry to hear this news. While I don't have any explanation for the ulcers, I can say sometimes the luck of the draw is not fair.

We all know how quickly a foal can deteriorate with even the most common treatable issues.

I am so sorry for your loss.

That's so hard.....The worse part is seeing our fur friends in pain and not being able to help.

I'm afraid I can't suggest anything either. It just seems rather odd that he'd react so suddenly to ulcers......but, as was said before -- the little ones do tend to go downward very quickly.

So sorry for the loss and for the not knowing why.....

There is also intussuseption (telescoping intestine)--that is rather common in young foals and can cause intense pain. Just one possibility. A necropsy would have been good, just so you would know what the exact problem was.

If it was ulcers I can't offer any insight--ulcers aren't something we've had much trouble with in all our years of horse ownership.

I'm so sorry for you loss, and for the suffering your poor baby had with that kind of pain.

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds like to could have been something beside ulcers too, is it too late to do necropsy? Sure would be good to know if others are out in the new pasture too.

Such a sad event. Our Sympathy to all of you.

I was surprised that the vet would think ulcers but maybe that's what a bad weed ingested might cause?

It must have been horrific to watch the downhill fall
no.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting this sad reminder of how quickly (and disastrously) a sick foal can crash.

I am so Sorry
sad.gif
Never had a foal with Ulcers. It is heartbreaking to see your baby go like that.

Latest posts

Back