Depressing thought but what are your plans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have told my husband NOT to hold on to the horses out of memory for me. I have seen this happen and it was not in the best interest of the horse. He would not and could not take care of them, and told him to just cut his losses and I was asking my friends (Sisters) that also raise minis...to help him get them in new homes ASAP. If they wanted any of them to become a part of thier family I would be honored for them to keep them. (I am sure Mary will be keeping my black stallion LOL, he will be loved!) These are friends I trust completely, and know they will put a good home as number one pirority.

Of course when I asked them if they would do this...they thought I was depressed or maybe sick. Nope just can sleep better at night knowing if I don't wake up, my horses will be in good hands.

I would think my husband (spouse could sign the papers)...but someone will have to tell him step by step.

The minis are in both our names (I was in a bad car accident) kinda puts things in perspective when stuff like that happens. He loves the minis but it would be to much for him and I have it wrote down what their value is or the least to take on them and how to do transfers and such. The dogs would be alright with him and I have my African Grey Parrot "OPIE" that talks a blue streak that can give him instructions too (And in my voice no less)
default_rolleyes.gif

My horses are Me OR Jessie. The only thing is I hope someone will support her with them and not leave her on her own.

been there/done that. amha required me to provide a certificated copy of the will.

amhr just needed a statement. but they needed a nudge to remember a couple times.

I still need to make a will. But that said, my babes knows what to do and I have a few awesome horsey friends that also will take them/look after them/know how to find them good homes. Not worried at all.

I'm ready. I have signed transfers and detailed information in a sealed brown envelope addressed to my law firm.

Guys, everyone here is speaking about what will be the eventual ownership of the horses -- that is important!

BUT, what about THAT DAY, THAT WEEK...immediate needs. Think about that, too. Do you have any guide to what is fed, how, why, when, where to get it? Do you have any info as to who can/does go out together, when, etc? Or even Who is WHO? This is needed info, even if you are simply NOT AVAILABLE.......
default_new_shocked.gif
.........for whatever reason.

Think about making this info available so that "someone" could step in and feed, WATER, etc. You know, an outline of the "farm" and how to run it. An auto accident could sure bring this about!! Even put in your wallet, near your ID, another card -- I own animals!!!!!!!!!!! they need care, call XYZ.

A picture of the animal, it's name, bred status, stall/pasture area, feed requirements, etc, could all be made up, copy in the barn, copy in house, etc. Vet name & #, feed dealer, feed type, etc (if it's in a can container there will be no label), picture of measure device, etc., etc., etc.

Yes, we need to keep them alive until the will is read.
default_rolleyes.gif

Bess, You nailed it - that is what my hubby is most concerned with - that is why I have told him to make 1 phone call, and our friends will rally and swoop in to handle all those details - I trust them completely - there is a group of us that are all very close and I am sure that they would divide up the horses appropriately based on individual needs and space available and take care of them as if they were my own and allow the dust to settle in order for the other decisions to be made as far as dispersal, etc.

It is vitally important to have a person/people who truly know how to take care of miniatures be "on call" in case of an emergency - just having a family member or neighbor step in to help is great, but as we all know, minis are a bit different and have their own set of needs.

Stac

We were out w/ friends and they asked if we were on our papers together and I said no I was the only one, my husband new it and said yea I couldn't even get rid of them after she dies if she did. I was going to make yard pets out of them anyway, but still. I didn't think much of it till I read this post today and so I called AMHR and will get his name on the papers after Nationals, then I have to do AMHA too. Thanks for a good post. TJ

This has been some interesting reading for me....here it's just me and my daughter who really have a passion for the minis though my husband is the money behind them...l decided to ask right out the other night and wanted an honest answer from them and what it came down to was my husband if l should die before him didn't want to be saddled with any minis or this lifestyle on the farm he'd prefer to move on to whatever is waiting and my daughter gotta love her for who she is says NO l love the big ones more and don't want to be saddled with any minis much as she loves them and what we do right now and wouldn't give them up for anything but the future is the future and no one can say for sure it includes what l wanted in her plans..now l need to rethink what is what when l'm not around..

Sometimes I think I am morbid because I think of this frequently, but then I remember I am a "planner," and this is just another thing I need to plan for. My husband and I have already discussed what HE would do in the event something happens to me--although he likes the horses, he has only been involved with them sparingly, and I know he does not want to have anything to do with them if I am not around. He has been instructed to sell them if he can and to just place them if he can't. I have signed transfers in all my horses' files (each has a separate file that contains health records, Coggins, breeding records, registration papers, etc.). Should something happen to both of us, I have an "In Case of Emergency or Death" list also on the side of my fridge that contains names of people to contact, including phone numbers, addresses and email addresses of those that need to know immediately, as well as a section for what to do with the horses and cats--basically, I have designated a few people to contact for dispensing of the animals as quickly as possible so they do not suffer neglect.

I have ID tags on all my stalls that indicate the horse's name, DOB, photo, weight, sex and how much it gets fed. In addition, I have a "feed instruction" sheet in my feed room that is updated every month, based on my current situation, that gives EXPLICIT step-by-step instructions on how to feed the horses and cats. noting any issues at the time. I also keep this instruction sheet on my fridge in the house and email this sheet to my pet-sitter when I go away on vacation.

I always keep at least a week's worth of feed/hay on hand, but I usually have a month's supply unless it is time to replenish. I also have a secret stash of cash available to purchase more feed for several weeks until my horses can be placed should something happen to my husband and I.

Everything in my barn is labeled--from my feed tubs to cabinets (indicating what is inside each) so anyone can find supplies if needed.

Now that I think of it, it is time to update our wills....something I have been putting off. At least we have wills, but they were done when we got married 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then....

not trying to hijack the thread... but I never wanted the horses in both our names.... in case we divorced. I really don't know if that would help me at all, but I do all the work and I paid for each one of them, and I consider them all MINE.....Does anyone know how that would work?

I had a will drawn up and a friend and a sister were to get my minis( 6 to one and 6 to the other), each to recieve a small amount of money to maintain them until they either keep them or decide on new homes. However my friend now is having major financial hardship and I no longer speak with my sister, so that needs to be changed.

Robin

I actually just got done with this. After a few sudden deaths of close people, we thought we'd better take care of things. I talked to both the reg. You spouse has the right to sign your horses over (or executor of the estate). So no problem with signatures on papers. They just have to send in the necessary paperwork showing they are executor of the estate. If you have a close friend, you can just have them fill out a paper that you mail back into the reg. Its a card that has all the signatures approved to sign horses over in your name if there is a problem. I also listed a really close friend to find my horses homes if something did happen to both me and my hubby. I stated in my will that my friend got the horses and all related tack and equipment needed to care for them. So my horses would be sold with their harnesses, carts, etc. My in-laws know nothing about horses (nor do my family). So I had to get specific on what goes where. I wanted them to be taken care of and sent to show homes with their papers.

What brought this up was the fact that someone died and they did not leave a will. I know a lot of people don't even think about wills until they are much older. With AMHA, if you don't have a will or something stating that someone is the executor....the papers can't be transferred. They require a death certificate + a will/legal document.

I liked the idea of having a transfer paper all ready signed and kept with the horses papers....just in case.

What brought this up was the fact that someone died and they did not leave a will. I know a lot of people don't even think about wills until they are much older. With AMHA, if you don't have a will or something stating that someone is the executor....the papers can't be transferred. They require a death certificate + a will/legal document. I liked the idea of having a transfer paper all ready signed and kept with the horses papers....just in case.

I would think that this transfer would ONLY be good if the date used were before the death.......and I only mention this as some may not think about it, enter current date and so on. Anyone using this method should discuss with legal counsel.

I put all in place years ago. My husband is executor so he can sign all paperwork and if we go together our children will take care of things. I also made a list for my husband of what I paid for each horse because he wouldn't have one clue if something were to happen to me. I sure wouldn't want him just "giving" them away. I also have an envelope with precise directions as to where all the paperwork is and how to go about transferring etc.............

I also have cards stapled to each stall with the horses name and what their personal feed schedule is. I do think that is very important in case something happens and someone else has to feed. Although my family is around the horses daily they do not feed so they would not have a clue who got what unless it was written out clearly. I also have a sheet with a drawing of who goes in what pasture and how I latch the gates because it is really important that everyone is put in the correct place .

With just having lost a friend at the tender age of 44 it sure brings this subject to light once again.

I'm a bit concerned that a number of people who feel they have this all under control appear to have verbal agreements with friends and/or family.

As has been pointed out (I think by AlB), in some states a verbal agreement will not be honored over proper execution of the deceased's estate. Your efforts may mean squat.

PLEASE take the time to discuss this with a lawyer and take the proper legal steps to be certain your horses are dealt with as you wish. You DON'T want the people you trust to take care of your babies to be told "hands off -- these are part of the estate and must be sold."

The law treats them as property, even though we know they are living, loving beings.

I haven't dared go near this topic because, it scares me so. I know that the kids or Hart would not be able to tell some of these horses apart. But another thing that worries me is bred mares. Should not the stud reports be filled out as soon as those mares are put with a stallion? I am guilty of doing it the 14th of January. If I croaked say in October and they were not done, those babies would not be able to be reg. right? And then there is the service certificates. ??????????

Latest posts

Back