Dental Work

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you get dental work completed on your horse, ie Floating

• Spring

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • summer

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • fall

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • winter

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • twice a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than twice a year

• Never

• checked every year but only as needed

• only when there is a problem

• Total voters
I can't really answer via vote, i get dental work done when i get a new horse, ive so far only got one and my loan horse was done before he came, so im good until next september.

I had the best luck when I happened upon my equine dentist. I don't know if its the norm in our area, but the two vet's I've worked worth of the last 4.5 years have both said they leave that work up to equine dentists. I had trouble finding one at first. When I initially contacted him, he wasn't sure he was capable of doing minis although he had purchased a couple of mini floats. He made me no promises but agreed to come out to see my herd. He was great! So easy and gentle with the horses. He takes his times and lets the horses get relaxed and comfortable with him despite what he's doing in their mouths! He's very thorough and spends as much as an hour per horse making sure he's really taken care of any potential issue. Obviously, he doesn't need that kind of time with every horse, every time, but he's willing to spend it the time if he needs to.

I usually have him come about every 12-13 months. This year it was closer to 18 months but he said they were all in good shape and we could keep to that schedule unless I noticed an issues/problems.

Thats VERY rare, most vets will get a rasp out, stick it in the gob, say "nah the teeth are fine" when it doesnt work because the horse bites the rasp.

After my TB had his teeth "done" i got an Equine dentist out and she was shocked at his teeth. I felt so bad, but i had had a vet out every year until i learned they are rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't found any vets that know a lick about dental work in my area. Those of you who have a vet with more than the rudimentary couple hours training they get in vet school are lucky. In fact, today I called my regular vet to see if he could work on a mare that I believe has a broken/infected tooth because of swelling, etc., and he said no...but at least he's honest enough to say he doesn't know enough about it. So I guess I'll have to either haul her 5 or 6 hours to a dentist...or fly someone in. I've usually had my horses checked every single year. We flew a dentist in who would then do a big circuit in this area. But lately the others don't want to 'pony up' and have their horses checked. GRRR!

The categories offered really don't fit. If a horse is having weight issues or eating abnormally no matter what age 6 mths to 30 yrs they get teeth checked even if they were just floated a few months before. All driving horses get done before starting training. All colts get checked and have wolf teeth removed when gelded....young horses get checked when its time to shed caps and any horse that has had a problem gets checked annually....

Just had to add too, any horse that shows a nasal discharge or eye irritation that is not connected to other disease symptoms gets checked right away, have seen some unusual eye and sinus issues corrected by dental work.

We have Carl out here every spring and I have ALL mine checked regardless of age. Some might need a float, some need nothing and he doesnt charge to check and not have to do anything. I must say that I think dental care with horses is one of the most overlooked and neglected things and have seen some in HORRIBLE shape whose owners didnt think they needed anything because the bite was correct and the horse had good weight!

We have Carl out here every spring and I have ALL mine checked regardless of age. Some might need a float, some need nothing and he doesnt charge to check and not have to do anything. I must say that I think dental care with horses is one of the most overlooked and neglected things and have seen some in HORRIBLE shape whose owners didnt think they needed anything because the bite was correct and the horse had good weight!
I agree that dental work is most important! It's one of those invisible things that can have far-reaching consequences. I answered the poll "spring", because that is my regular schedule. But it is one of the first things I get done on a newly acquired horse. And I use an equine dentist. Vet's, no matter how good they are, just don't seem to have the correct equipment, or mindset, for teeth (in my experience).

When one finds out his horse has ulcers in the mouth from sharp points, or points stabbing into the sinus, or unshed caps that cause misalignment--he quickly becomes convinced how important dental work is.

I didn't do the poll as I only have one horse. I have his teeth done every fall by my vet, who has specialized training in dentistry and is very competent. Reading these responses makes me appreciate (again!) how fortunate I am to have him as a vet!

We had a certain Equine Dentist here one year - NEVER AGAIN.
default_thumbdown.gif

After working on a few horses, he simply glanced at a couple of others, barely lifted their front lip and declared they were "fine". He could not be bothered to look in their mouths. Those older mares were NOT "fine"- they needed work every year! I had to to get a vet who specializes in teeth to come out later to do the horses the renowned Equine Dentist said were fine. They had their usual sharp edges that needed work - just as I told the Great Equine Dentist (GED) they would. But his highness knew better.

GED (who I only tried because of the glowing recommendations) also thought it was hilarious when I said the vet we usually used had files and charts on all the horses' teeth and bites. He got after a nervous mare that I suggested be left alone so she could be sedated and done by the vet - but he did not listen (he knew better, you see - he was the GED after all) and tried to manhandle her - she was frantic and trying to get away from GED and his "helper". I had to yell at them to stop and leave her the heck alone. They were not pleased with me after that...

I am no prude by any means - but the snickering and double entendres and jokes got to be a bit much. GED and his female "helper" were more focussed on each other than they were on the horses. I knew all those horses very well - but they disregarded any input I offered. GED was bragging about all the other farms he had to visit to work on horses - no doubt they would marvel at his awesomeness the way he expected me to...

DId I say NEVER AGAIN?!! So much for all the hype and praise GED gets - I experienced something completely different - and the way that terrified Shetland mare tried to get away as they struggled with her - oblivious to her distress and my anger - still haunts me.

Horses here get checked every spring and done as needed - more often if they are having issues. By the thoughtful and caring vet - not the GED.

Pay attention to your horses with teeny, delicate heads. Make sure they get checked yearly. There's nothing wrong with having a beautiful, teeny head, but they are disposed to more issues with crowding. If there is crowding there are going to be sharp points inevitably. Joe and Jamie, my two beautiful little tiny heads. Both of them needed done so badly they needed mild sedation. Don't let a perfect bite of incisors fool you, it's in the molars! Yearly for tinies especially.

I have actually never come across a Equine Dentist in Canada. Now that's not to say we don't have them, I just have never heard of one where I lived. My vet is great! she has all the tools to do a power float and even shows me the points that need work before and after so I can see for myself. My horses have always done well with her. I have had her for about 7 years now. For my barn, I have every new horse checked in the first 3 weeks, while in quarantine for all health issues. Then they get checked every spring during the spring exam and shots. If their teeth need to be done they are done then otherwise there is a list that gets made, the fall recheck and float. Most only get done once every other year to once every 3 years as needed but they are checked twice a year just in case.

Latest posts

Back