Deep Woods Off

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibquackers20

Reaction score
Last rain storm left us with all the neighbours mosquitos , and I have tried so many different things - all pretty much has to be reapplied over and over - But I was wondering since I use Deep Woods Off on myself and it lasts for some time would it be ok to spray on my minis body and use a wipe cloth around their faces, my poor guys are going crazy with the flies and mosquitos - even my mosquito zapper can not keep up to them all and I have to empty the catch a lot in one day. and Yes I have had my vet out to give the west nile shot over a month ago.

We are having trouble with the mosquitos here too. I don't think Off is good for them since they groom themselves and each other I would think they would ingest it. My vet is loving a spot on treatment called equi-spot I think. I haven't tried it yet cause my mares are pregnant. What we have been doing that helps quite a bit is building smudges. The smoke seems to keep the mosquitos away for a while even after the smudges go out. They usually burn for 5 to 6 hours. A good way to get rid of that wet hay and manure. I look forward to seeing other peoples' ideas.

Sure, we've used Deep Woods Off on ours, many times. Truthfully, though, the best value in mosquito spray is Muskol--it sprays in a mist compared to the larger droplets sprayed by Off, and so will spray more horses per can than Off will. We have some that when they hear me shaking the can they come running, pushing against me wanting me to spray them!

We've been spraying horses for years with Muskol & Deep Woods Off, and haven't poisoned any yet!

Avon Skin So Soft works great for fly/mosquito spray for horses. We also use it as a flea repellant for our dogs. Smells much prettier than most regular fly/flea/mosquito sprays. Have to order through Avon though. Hope this helps.

Second Skin So Soft. We use it every day on our horses the barn smells like in a Beauty Salon.

A

Nothing beats a good smudge for mosquito's. ln the evenings we usually have one going most of the summer l love the smell of a smudge with pine branches added and if the wind blows just right the stallions also benefit and hug the edges closest to the smoke. Evenings the mares used to walk single file face to tail in big circles to try to get relief. The ones we show have no problem getting sprayed with muskol and l agree after a few times they wait to get sprayed so l would think it works on them the same as me...l used to go through mega bottles of horse spray and found it a large waste of money for something that only worked maybe 10 minutes...oh ya our mosquito's are big as small birds around here. :bgrin

Never heard of Muskol - where would that be available at?

I found I was really allergic to the skin so soft product, so trying to put

it on the kids didn't work well. Would like to find something that works

better than the equine fly/mosquito products.......

A smudge is a fire used primarily for its smoke (hence using wet hay/manure as wet material will generate more smoke). The smoke will help keep evil things like mosquitoes away.

I personally would not use it on a horse. Is it okay? I don't know but my guess is it would probably be "okay", but there are tons (tons!) of products designed specifically for horses that repell flies and mosquitos. I'd opt to use those and ounce for ounce, I am for sure they cost less!

Another tip is if you go to a feed store, take a look at the fly spray concentrates that are not marketed specifically for horses. Read the labels for directions on how to dilute it for which type of animal to be sure it is made for horses, too. If you can get it with a picture of a COW on in, vs. a picture of a HORSE (again, make sure it's also okay for horses), you will save a lot of money. When they market it to us horse nuts exclusively, it costs more even if the ingredients are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking from experience Jill--my Konk for horses, which costs $8.95 per can, and which does repel mosquitoes, will spray less than half my herd. If I wanted to use it on everyone it would take me over 2 cans per application, probably more like 2 1/2 cans. It would be effective for 3 hours, tops. I've tried it, and in 3 hours the horses were covered in mosquitoes again.

Muskol--the 200g can which I can purchase in Wal-Mart for $5.97--I can spray everyone with 1 1/2 cans at most, and the horses get relief for just about the 8 hours that it says on the can. I spray in the evening as soon as the mosquitoes come out in full force, and it keeps the horses comfortable all night.

There is simply nothing as effective for mosquitoes as DEET, and the made for horses sprays (nor made for cattle sprays for that matter) are as economical as Muskol.

Word of warning on buying any bug spray labelled for cattle, even some of the products which are also labelled for horses--some of these products contain petroleum products and must be applied very sparingly. Using them too heavy or too often can cause skin burns on horses.

Wipe is one of more effective made for horses preparations. I don't know about down in the US, but here it's also the most expensive product--and I've still not found it to be as effective for mosquitoes as Muskol.

smudges...we have close neighbors so most times cannot build smudges, they tend to prefer mosquitoes to smoke! We do have some horses that absolutely love a good smudge--they'll go & stand right over the smudge, in the smoke. A few like to go & tear apart the smudge, and end up with singed fetlocks & tails--we try to build smudges in areas where the horses aren't, but that's not always possible. Many people put round bale feeders around the fire to keep horses out of it. Sadly I know someone who had a big horse yearling get through the feeder into the fire--she got half way through (presumeably she had her head through & another horse got after her & she lunged forward) and was stuck. When the owner found her she was very badly burned, still alive but in shock, and he had to destroy her. Truly an awful thing for that poor filly. So please, anyone building smudges, be very very careful and don't assume that using a round bale feeder makes it safe for the horses!

Here's my 2 cents. Our company manufactures parts for packaging machines and in that capacity we were approached by the people that make Muskol, it seemed the product was dissolving the rubber that they were using. We were given a bottle of the main ingredient "Deet" who's formula is a guarded secret. In this bottle we immersed several non- metalic materials, all swelled up to more than three times their size and remained that way, they all eventually broke apart. Even the manufacturer recommends against continued use for fear of health risks. Myself I would rather spend the extra money and use something that is proven safe for horses.

Here's my 2 cents. Our company manufactures parts for packaging machines and in that capacity we were approached by the people that make Muskol, it seemed the product was dissolving the rubber that they were using. We were given a bottle of the main ingredient "Deet" who's formula is a guarded secret. In this bottle we immersed several non- metalic materials, all swelled up to more than three times their size and remained that way, they all eventually broke apart. Even the manufacturer recommends against continued use for fear of health risks. Myself I would rather spend the extra money and use something that is proven safe for horses.
My feelings as well
default_yes.gif
:

If I were using Muskol, or Off, on a continuous, daily basis year round I might be concerned. As it is, I don't think we've ever had a summer where we had a major mosquito problem for more than 6 weeks of the summer--and that was only once, back in 1991. We had swarms of mosquitoes for a 10 days or so, then a few days break before the new hatch came out, then another 10 days of being eaten alive, then another few days respite, then one more round of skeeters, and that was it. Last year I think there were 3 weeks where it was bad for awhile, then nothing at all when things dried up.

Personally, I like something that is effective, which is why I continue to use DEET products--really I haven't found anything else that works as well for as long--

And so far I haven't had any horses swell up & break apart
default_wacko.png
: seriously. I don't immerse them in the stuff.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Yes, I would caution anyone against bathing their horses in the liquid version!

Latest posts

Back