Decided to geld my fave guy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
Happened a few weeks back and so excited to be able to show and drive him as a gelding this summer and see how he does.. he did great as a stallion but l always hear a good stallion makes for a great gelding..so l guess we'll see l still have a few regrets but to late now. We did keep 2 of his past foals a beautiful tovero filly and a better then he was colt for the future...my fairy the gelding who now can reside with the rest of the herd and live the good life running and bucking with a bunch of new pals not just mares in heat..lol Catmandu

catman.jpg

2012 cat gelded.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm right there with you Relic and its true, a good stallion makes a wonderful gelding. I gelded my guy last fall with out actually covering even one mare with him so no foals (would have loved to see what he threw but...) and he still has all the traits, both physical and behavioural that made me love him in the first place but none of the ones that made him a challenge (like being distracted by the girls)

Have fun in the ring with him, he should really kick some butt, he's very handsome
default_smile.png

Congrats! I'm sure he will do awesome as a gelding!!!

Have fun with him, I think he'll do well for you. It's never the wrong choice to geld a stallion
default_smile.png

You'll have soo much more fun with him without the stallion-stressors!

A friend of mine swears that geldings that were cut late (after having bred a mare or two) make the BEST geldings because they retain their sence of confidence and presence. They have that extra little spark without the hassle of hormones. Having owned one now myself....I completely agree with her ;-)

He is gorgeous! I think you made a wonderful decision for him.

I bred my mare and then gelded Masq. It was a heart-wrenching decision, but we decided there are enough horses in the world, and I couldn't do the things with him I wanted to if he remained Mr. Fancy Prance. I love this horse more than any other I have ever owned, he has that special personality. And it is true! He still has that spark without distractions and confidence. Also he is a much happier horse who doesn't have to be seperated. We have fun together all the time!

There's only one thing you can't do with him -- and all the things you CAN do now greatly outnumber that one. Mingus was gelded eight years ago, and he still has more spark than most stallions -- minus the testerone poisoning!

He's Gorgeous! one of my favorite colors. Congratulations on the right decision for you.

What a beautiful animal! Good for you, I am sure you will clean up showing him as a gelding. I love my geldings and I am not kidding when I say they get smarter when you remove those pesky little things.......

Latest posts

Back