Debating to buy another horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini123

Reaction score
I have a very small mini horse farm. I was looking to add another mare to my herd. But I am on the fence. She would be my 7th mini. She is a great horse, great lines and in foal She is a bit older but coudnt afford her if she was younger. The down side is money of coarse. The horse I want is costly and all my foals this yr wont even cover her cost, not to mention shipping!! Soooo how do you decide??

If all your foals this year won't cover the cost of one mare...what are the chances her foals will sell for enough to make it worth the money spent on her?

If you are able to buy her just because you WANT her...I say yes, go ahead...but if you are buying her to breed, and expect to sell her foals for what they should be worth...is there a chance, in your area, they would be worth more than your others? Is the quality of your stallion as good or better than her's? If not, then I wouldn't.

You would be better off putting the money towards a better stallion, which would better compliment the mares you have...therefore increasing the value of ALL of your foals, rather than just one.

Last yr I bought an exceptional stallion. He will covered his first mare this yr. So I am hoping to get some really nice foals. I ave been buying better and getting excellent quality. The reason they didnt sell for a lot is I was more interested in them going to a show home. I could have gotten more but I am not in it for that. I want to produce quality and get the foals in great homes where they will be shown and trained.

If all your foals this year won't cover the cost of one mare...what are the chances her foals will sell for enough to make it worth the money spent on her?

If you are able to buy her just because you WANT her...I say yes, go ahead...but if you are buying her to breed, and expect to sell her foals for what they should be worth...is there a chance, in your area, they would be worth more than your others? Is the quality of your stallion as good or better than her's? If not, then I wouldn't.

You would be better off putting the money towards a better stallion, which would better compliment the mares you have...therefore increasing the value of ALL of your foals, rather than just one.

I can safely say that you will not make money with horses, whether it be show jumpers racers or mini's. If you are lucky you might cover your costs but all it takes is a horse in the clinic and """puff"""" goes your profit. (horses get sick with even the most expert of horseman)

If you can afford this mare and you want her go for it, if you are buying her as an investment I would say be careful.

Some of you know about my favourite mare Britt that hubby paid a small fortune for ( I kept on until he gave in. bad girl, hehee)

Well after her colic and her 3 lost foals she could never pay me back, I am very lucky and it isn't a problem but you need to work out if that would be o.k too. We hope that all will go well but I personally think that we should be prepared just in case as these mini's can be difficult.

What ever you decide I wish you all the best.

Renee

Oh I know I want make a dime! And that scares me too about them getting sick and so on. I have funds set aside. I just want to keep imporving my program but its hard if you dont get new mares.

It sounds to me that you want to breed for the betterment of the breed itself (and yes, I'm calling miniatures a "breed" even though technically they are not; someday they may become so). That is my passion as well, so buying a new mare or a new stallion is not really a financial investment but an investment in bettering my herd. So, my opinion is, if you can afford the horse, and can afford the time and money and energy it requires to take of the horse, and it's what you really want, then the question to "should I buy another horse?" is always "YES"
default_smile.png

If you are looking to build a small herd for your enjoyment then go ahead, if you are looking to make money well, I am sure you know you are in the wrong bussiness,
default_smile.png

Do it because you have a passion about it, not in hopes of making money. The horse bussiness is deffinately one of those scenarios where the good guy that does everything right and doesn't cut corners tends to finish last, but none the less, I believe in doing things right and being able to hold my head high in the end.

In my case, even holding myself to these standards, I have had people unable to grasp that I am willing to walk away from breeding just because I can not ensure where my foals will end up 1 year, 2 years, 3 years down the road.....

As much as I could handle putting my mares at risk and all the expenses, perils of ownership, breeding and foaling, I can't handle facing that one of my foals that may be todays treasure for someone, will end up being treated like tommorows trash.

So once again, only you can answer this....There are many unexpected bumps in the road that can occur,if something comes up and you feel as if you will want to change directions, will you be able to keep them, part with them, care for all of them the way the deserve to be cared for if you should decide not breed, will you try to offer this mare a forever home being that she is already a bit older or will you be trying to make your money on her foals and resell her when she has fulfilled her purpose (once again, even one or two nice foals may not offset te cost of vaccinations, feed hay, wormer, bedding, vet care, dental care, ferrier care for the time frame you keep the mare) , think of what your long term goals are for her.

Good Luck whatever you choose, if the decision is one of being a more of a passion rather than a bussiness, then go for it. There is nothing wrong with it being a bussiness, but in my eyes, that passion must exist in order to keep the horses best interest in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
And a "dime" is probably all you'll make -- like the rest of us!
default_laugh.png

Putting aside the dimes, if you think she'll be an asset to your breeding herd of mares -- with your stallion -- then get her! Improving our herds for the betterment of the "breed" is what we are all seeking to do, and you can only do that by taking a chance once in a while. Let's face it, that's why so many of us have so many "potato chips" in our pastures.

Good luck. I hope she's all you want!

LMAO, You have such a wonderful way with words Diane, I must admit, I just looked out of the window and saw quiet a few potato chips
biggrin.gif
and they are just soooooooooooo scrummy. ) am off to give them all some kisses.
saludando.gif

Hey Dianne you actually made a dime
default_new_shocked.gif

I am the worse when it comes to deciding to buy or not! I really am. I ask myself if 20 yrs go by would it be sthing I would have regretted? If it is I buy the horse if its not I pass. But I always take into consideration my finances and run it by hubby!! Last time I wanted to keep a kitten, he said "no just get another horse!" I tool that and ran
default_aktion033.gif

Good luck!!!

If you are looking at buying a quality mare to better your breeding program and better the breed and you can afford it, then go for it! The horse market stinks everywhere right now and there are some good deals to be had. Foal sales especially stink though and you have to be breeding because you love the minis and have a passion for them.

It sounds like you feel she can really add something to what you have going on. That's part of how I decide this kind of a question!!!
default_aktion033.gif

That is great to be able to help a specila child like that. I love when I get pics and see the horses helping a child. Even if it is sthing as simple as getting the child out show to build confidence.

Latest posts

Back