Deaf Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavallini Farms

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old 33" AMHA gelding, he is a splash pinto and, as most are, he is deaf.

He's been a dream to train, using gestures and such - rather than my voice.

The time has come to start driving, and while I suspect he will be just as fantastic in cart as he is in hand, I'd like opinions on using only an open bridle.

My concern is that he hears nothing, so I think seeing horses and such coming up behind him might be more beneficial than a traditional blinder bridle that would keep him from knowing someone is "sneaking up". I'd hate to spook him and have someone get hurt.

I'd sure love some opinions, advice, etc. Has anyone dealt with driving a deaf horse?

Zig2.jpg

If you aren't going to show him in driving, why not? We purchased a gelding one time that had only ever been driven in an open bridle.

You have nothing to lose from trying...if he doesn't seem recep[tive to it, you can go back to ground driving and introduce the blinkers later.

I think every horse should be trained based on it's own "horsenality". In my experience, some do better open, some in blinders. You know your own horse best. I would suggest trying both ways, and deciding which works best in your particular situation. I currently am driving both of my boys in open bridles, although they both have been trained with blinders also. Neither one has a "spooky" personality, and they just seem more comfortable in an open bridle and seeing what is going on around them. We do have a deaf cat (white with almond eyes, so also hereditary) and I was amazed at how well he integrated into our somewhat chaotic household. He doesn't know he's "handicapped"!!

I think every horse should be trained based on it's own "horsenality". In my experience, some do better open, some in blinders. You know your own horse best. I would suggest trying both ways, and deciding which works best in your particular situation. I currently am driving both of my boys in open bridles, although they both have been trained with blinders also. Neither one has a "spooky" personality, and they just seem more comfortable in an open bridle and seeing what is going on around them. We do have a deaf cat (white with almond eyes, so also hereditary) and I was amazed at how well he integrated into our somewhat chaotic household. He doesn't know he's "handicapped"!!

Great replies, thank you. He's not spooky, I think he'll do great in an open bridle, I just don't know the drawbacks of it. Looks like something he and I can explore.

He's a nice, quiet guy, and has been really easy to train for ground work, circles, side pass, backing, pedastal, etc.

And I have always said that about him - he has no idea he's different!
wink.gif

I think is would be a bonus, in many ways...you don't have to worry about him spooking at a noise, which causes more spooks than seeing things does.
default_smile.png
I know of several regular hearing horses, and ponies, some at international levels of driving, which have to wear ear plugs to keep them focused.

Thats true! I know when I was ground driving him up the road, my neighbors huge dog would run to the fence and bark bark bark - Zig had no idea and just kept plugging along. That was great.

I didn't know some horses had ear plugs - interesting.

I didn't know some horses had ear plugs - interesting.
Yes, they aren't uncommon with standardbred racing, and I have seen the big fuzzy sheepskin ones for pleasure drivers. They were even recommended to a freind of mine's pony for CDEs, by an international driver/coach. Till then, I didn't know they were legal for combined driving...
default_new_shocked.gif
...maybe they aren't.
default_unsure.png

I have used ear plugs on riding ponies to keep them calm in noisy situations, I just use some sheet cotton, works wonders! I have a mounted games pony that wears them every time we compete. They are fairly common in the hunter world as well.

Like others have said, it has been my experience that it is the noises that scare them more than the sights. My green girl is fine with the big, noisy, multiple hitch carriages that we have encountered as long as she can see them, but she does not like when she hears them rattling around behind her when she can't keep and eye on them.

Maybe his being deaf will be beneficial! Best of luck, he is beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back