Dasher, my rescue pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Firstly, appologies for not being around here as often as I used to be. I've got myself a motorcycle now and hubby and I have been travelling on our bikes.

My herd has now grown to 3. Bailey, Willow, and now Dasher.

Dasher belonged to someone I knew. They had basically grown tired of him and were looking at finding him a new home. They didn't want any money for him, he was to be a giveaway.

They knew that I had contact's on forums etc, so they asked if I would see if I knew of anyone that would want him. I agreed to take on the task of finding him a new home. I knew that by giving him away they would open it up to all kinds of people.

I needed to take photos of Dasher so headed over to their house with my camera. What I saw when I walked into his yard shocked me. I hadn't seen Dasher for about 2 years. I didn't even recognise him. Skinny, hip bones protruding out, ribs visable and a thick winter coat in the middle of summer. I guess all that hair was to act as an insulator as he didn't have any body fat.

His yard smelled of raw sewarge. Their septic tank had been leaking into his yard so he was standing in raw sewerage slush. The smell was beyond words.

Poor Dasher looked depressed. I've seen that look before. No sparkle in his eyes, no shine to his coat.

I took these photos. These photos don't really show how thin he is.
default_no.gif

IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

Keep reading below, over my pic limit

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back in the car and told my husband that I could not leave him there. I simply could not walk away from the poor little soul. He didn't deserve to live like that. I convinced my husband to let me bring Dasher home the following morning. The owners were happy for me to take him.

I took these pics at my house the day I bought him home.

039.jpg

040.jpg

He was kept away from Bailey and Willow and given some wormer, a good grooming and slowly introduced him to some good food.

Then came the big intro with Bailey and Willow. All went very well.

IMG00111-20101214-1625-1.jpg

IMG00137-20101214-1640.jpg

IMG00138-20101214-1718.jpg

It seems that Willow and Dasher have a 'thing going on' between them.
default_wub.png

Bailey is a little put out having to share his 'Mum' with another horse, but I hope he understands.

it's been almost 4 weeks since Dasher has been with us. He is getting some weight on his little body and is slowly starting to get some spark in his eyes.

Here is a photo showing his progress..

DASHERPROGRESS.jpg

He has locking stifle/patella and what I have been reading it could be due to his poor condition and lack of muscle tone. I am working on getting all of that fixed too. I hope he picks up soon. I know he isn't the skinniest resuce case around, but I couldn't walk away.

Do they take long to get their spark back after suffering for so long? He is such a quiet little guy, very withdrawn although he is improving.

Do they take long to get their spark back after suffering for so long? He is such a quiet little guy, very withdrawn although he is improving.
I'm sure they are all individuals, some take longer than others to get their spark back.

I have a gelding with medical issues, and he had them before I got him; I think I finally got it under control after owning him for 18 months or so. He's starting to get a spark and attitude. [i didn't realize how little "spark" he had before, and now that he's evidently feeling so much better, he's got spark.]

I think that lack of spark might have something to do with lack of human attention and being so ignored by humans so long. He probably can't get over that he not only has you, he has new horsey buddies too. Give him time. I would add some ulcer meds to your list.

He's going to be fine and actually he is really going to be very nice looking. Glad your husband was so understanding.
default_wub.png

I have owned a TB ex-racehorse. (he may rest in peace) Every time he went out of training he got a locking patella too. If he was in training again this problem disappeared. So this won't be a big problem I think.

Leonie, Dasher is one lucky guy to have met you!!! I can't imagine how awful it was for him to live in those kind of conditions. He is blooming under your care
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

default_aktion033.gif
That's great that he found you! I have to tell you that my filly that I bought in April was underweight (hip-bones protruding, spine very palpable. etc.); wormy with a dry, long coat; and (what I only now realise) lethargic and depressed; what I thought was an ultra-calm, sweet horse was, actually, a sick one. She really started looking good after about 3 months of careful deworming/de-lousing, lots of timothy/grass/alfalfa hay, and Gro'n Win (along with soaked timothy cubes for a period). She, now, has the most luxurious, soft coat I've ever felt and that spark is there. She "became herself", I noticed, in around September or October. What I thought was just a very calm horse was a horse that was getting over some "stuff". Now she jumps about 4 feet in the air on all fours, rears, bucks and plays with Lex. And she's actually sassy now
default_rolleyes.gif
She is, literally, a different horse. She also had some stifle "catching" (never really locked) which seems to now be completely gone
default_yes.gif

That poor boy!!! I'm so glad you were able to take him out of such miserable conditions and lack of care.
default_aktion033.gif

I can't answer your question about time it'll take for him to fully recover, but I just wanted to say I'm honored to know such a caring heart!
default_wub.png

So glad you were able to get him away from there. Even if he doesn't stay with you forever, you will be in a position to find him a better home, and give him a good life in the meantime.

I have had one horse that was a rescue. I would say it takes many months for one to recover. Dasher didn't get like that overnight. Besides the health issues, he will have no idea how to behave with you. With your new hobby it may be hard to find time
default_smile.png
but long walks will help to build his muscle tone and teach him to be a good companion.

I learned so much about nutrition, training, body language, hooves, treating injuries--from my rescue.

default_yes.gif
Good for you! I went through same thing about 3mths ago. Actually beauty looked just like you pony (thin) He is now got the weight back and is so happy and the spark was out of his eyes also and its back now. Congrats on you new addition
default_aktion033.gif

I bought a weanling this year in sep. that had lost a lot of wait after being taken of of mom. She was stuburn just didn't want to do anything and just calm as she could be. Now she has her sassyness back and runs, bucks, prances. She has not got all the weight she need back, but she feels soooooo much better.

It always boggles my mind when I see a thin mini, since I know how little it takes, in feed, wormer, etc. (compared to a large horse) to have a mini that's a healthy, happy weight. I don't get it
default_no.gif

I bought back a Shetland pony that looked JUST JUST like that, maybe even just a little bit thinner in the hips and belly right before Thanksgiving. I've been giving her LOTS of timothy/alfalfa pellets/beet pulp, and some vitamins/Strategy/corn oil since then. I've gone through half a gallon of the corn oil alone in a month's time.

She is now almost at her "normal" weight... still about 40 pounds to go maybe to put on... but she has no muscle tone so still looks kind of strange to me (my horses, I try to keep very fit and in show shape, but that takes a lot of time and work).

But the SPARK is back for sure! She runs and plays the entire time she is turned out now (was pretty depressed when she got here)... my farriers came for her six-week trim yesterday and noticed the huge change in her attitude from depressed to joyful.

With some time and groceries, your little guy will turn around, I'm confident of that! I think in a month you will see a HUGE difference.

Good luck,

Andrea

What a happy ending to the story......Good for you!

I love the "meeting and greeting" photos you took.
default_wub.png

I bought back a Shetland pony that looked JUST JUST like that, maybe even just a little bit thinner in the hips and belly right before Thanksgiving. I've been giving her LOTS of timothy/alfalfa pellets/beet pulp, and some vitamins/Strategy/corn oil since then. I've gone through half a gallon of the corn oil alone in a month's time.

She is now almost at her "normal" weight... still about 40 pounds to go maybe to put on... but she has no muscle tone so still looks kind of strange to me (my horses, I try to keep very fit and in show shape, but that takes a lot of time and work).

But the SPARK is back for sure! She runs and plays the entire time she is turned out now (was pretty depressed when she got here)... my farriers came for her six-week trim yesterday and noticed the huge change in her attitude from depressed to joyful.

With some time and groceries, your little guy will turn around, I'm confident of that! I think in a month you will see a HUGE difference.

Good luck,

Andrea
That's one thing I noticed is the lack of muscle tone. His neck was so thin and scrawny. I'm really glad to hear that other people have noticed a differnce in their own rescued horses and that they do find that spark again.

Dasher now calls out when he see's me. He is now finishing off all his feed in his bucket, where as earlier he would just pick through it and leave it for Bailey and Willow to finish off. It's good to see him actually want to eat and enjoy his food.

I found out that he actually comes from 'registered' parents even though Dasher himself was never registered. I might ask some more questions.

Over here in Australia, he would be considered a 'miniature pony' not a 'miniature horse'.

Miniature ponies are the stocky, heavy set ones with the thick manes and tails - like a miniature Shetland pony from the UK. I knew Dasher when he looked like that, he was a stocky little heavy set dude. It will be nice to see him like that again. He has that typical Shetland (Isle) pony face - he is/was a good looking pony.
default_yes.gif

It will be 4 weeks this Sunday since he came into our care and I can already see a difference in his weight and character. Poor Dasher, he was just hungry and depressed.

He is looking so much happier since he is with you! So glad you were able to give him a wonderful home
default_wub.png

Yes agree with matt 73....it just doesn't take much to feed these little ones. A 4 yr old mare I bought a year ago that seemed like such a calm little thing has gotten a personality and an attitude, shiny coat, and talks alot......I think she just never had a socializing, nutrition and attention.....she had lice and was pretty thin under all the hair that looked like it had never shed......

How can folks let them get so underweight when 50 pounds of feed last soooo long and doesn't cost but what one may spend on a lunch out?????

Yes agree with matt 73....it just doesn't take much to feed these little ones. A 4 yr old mare I bought a year ago that seemed like such a calm little thing has gotten a personality and an attitude, shiny coat, and talks alot......I think she just never had a socializing, nutrition and attention.....she had lice and was pretty thin under all the hair that looked like it had never shed......

How can folks let them get so underweight when 50 pounds of feed last soooo long and doesn't cost but what one may spend on a lunch out?????
No kidding! They have 3 OBESE dogs so they know how to feed animals, just don't know how to feed them well.

And here I am trying to keep the weight off Bailey and for some part, Willow too.

Good for you! Such a little cutie, he is probably very happy to be in your hands

Latest posts

Back