Cryptorchids vs Late Bloomer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I have a yearling colt (April 2013) who I am not interested in breeding, who has not yet dropped. At what point is a colt just a late bloomer or a cryptorchid?

I have another yearling who was gelded at weaning time from a different breeder, so I feel like I shouldn't be comparing the two since they're two different calibers of breeding. The colt in question is pet quality (locking stifles as well. Yay!) And the other is show quality.

I have a gelding who did not drop his first little man till he was 5 years old. Just gelded him last fall. He was a crypt, however the lost boy was under the skin in his thigh!

Yup, only at my house.

A cryptorchid has one testicle retained up in the abdomen. If the testicle was reachable without major surgery the horse was not a crypyt strictly speaking. Tremor at a year, it is very annoying but too early to say you have a problem. Can you really not find it, even when you root up in there? If you can feel even just the very tip you are OK to go ahead and castrate. How about ultrasound? All that being said, if you can just wait a bit longer it will arrive, I am sure- or you could mildly sedate and it will probably show up then.....

I agree with Jane. A yearling is too young to worry about, and yes - sedation often works to help relax a "shy jewel".

Do you work this horse regularly? Most of my horses drop them after a good sweaty workout. May be worth a try. If you or your vet cant find it just by looking or feeling then I would consider an ultrasound.

Latest posts

Back