Crusty stuff under the fetlock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my boys has crusty stuff under the fetlock. I've washed his feet twice now with fungal shampoo and a scrub brush. Also rubbed in an athelete's foot topical. When the crust comes off it is raw skin. It is only under the fetlock. If it isn't fungus, what could it be? Is my fungal shampoo not the right one?

Here in Kansas around the Flint Hills we get a mite that is in the grass that bite the minis as well as the dogs. We spray them with the fly stuff and the dogs have Flea stuff we use. Not sure if you are in Ok. have they been standing alot in mud with all the rain?

Here in Kansas around the Flint Hills we get a mite that is in the grass that bite the minis as well as the dogs. We spray them with the fly stuff and the dogs have Flea stuff we use. Not sure if you are in Ok. have they been standing alot in mud with all the rain?

Sounds like it could be scratches.

"Scratches is a dermatitis, or inflammation of the skin, and the most common cause seems to be the fungus Sporotrichum schenki. Some horses seem to be more susceptible than others, just as some seem more vulnerable to other fungal infections such as ringworm and girth itch. The fungus lives in organic matter and enters through breaks in the skin when the horse walks through contaminated pastures or muddy, swampy areas.

The dermatitis that results is basically an inflammation of the deeper layers of the skin, sometimes involving the blood and lymph vessels. The most common site of inflammation is the pastern and fetlock area, often in the heel and back of the pastern where the foot bends. The involved skin becomes warmer, reddish and thickened. Then the skin surface becomes scabby and cracked, and if the condition is not treated it usually becomes badly cracked and oozing and spreads to include larger areas. Infection may also spread to the inner tissues and is sometimes complicated by bacterial infection as well. The thickened skin may come off, leaving bare spots covered with rough skin, or raw areas.

Traditional treatments for scratches were astringents like methylene blue, iodine mixed with glycerine, or ointments made with zinc oxide, nitrofurazone and steroids. But a better treatment, recommended by several veterinarians, is a mix of nitrofurazone, DMSO and thiabendazole (a cattle wormer that is also a good fungicide)."

I use a solution of vaginal creme, iodine, and diaper ointment. It works wonders and it takes care of it imediately

Carla and Spike who says *I need scratches I need scratches on my neck, my belly..*

Thanks for the replies. We are pretty dry here in SW OK; no recent rain. No swamps here or muddy areas, except the pond. I do see a few pond mud clods on their feet, so maybe that is where he's getting it. I will try those treatments. And I think I will try fencing them away from the pond for a few days.

I've never heard of "scratches".

sounds like scratches. I do nitrofurazone mixed with desitin. Takes it right off and heals up nicely. Desitin keeps the melting point higher so the furazone stays put longer. If not too bad a case the desitin works just fine by itself.

We had scratches so bad here a number of years ago that my old Arabian was lame. We had dinked around with it most of the summer, treating everyday with what the vet prescribed. Then we purchased our Pinto Arab with four white feet (scratches seems to like pink skin), and of course he got it right before winter. Knowing that we couldn't spend all winter hosing his legs, I resorted to Absorbine Liniment after I picked the scabs off. I'm pretty sure it "stung", because I got the "Mommy, blow on it!" look from the horse, but it cleared up just like that with no other treatments necessary!

I've been using that liniment. One horse cleared up but the other is worse. But I didn't use it every day. Until I can get to a supply place, I will try it daily. I don't know if it stings, but I really think he enjoyed my scrubbing his feet with a stiff brush. That crust must itch.

THey are confined to a pond-less pasture for now, in case that is the cause.

Is the furazone that yellow gel stuff?

Huh. Our horses' scratches were never itchy, and they really didn't care for us peeling the scabs away. In fact, one of my mom's horses had to be tranquilized to get the scabs off, but it had progressed fast. It seems like once they have had scratches, the develop an immunity, because none of them have gotten it since. That was about 15 yrs. ago.

Yes, it is that yellow gel stuff. Ours comes in a brown plastic jar with a screw off lid.

My last scratches mixture from the vet (2009 version) has Nitrofurazone, desitin, dexamethasone, gentamicin and methyl prednisolone in it. I rarely get scratches here. In the old days the mixture only contained the nitrofurazone and desitin. I swear by the desitin, it keeps whatever you use in place. I treated a couple of times, the scabs all came off and no more scratches. It never did itch them. Don't get them anymore since I put pea gravel in my loafing area.

Seems to me you are doing the right thing using antifungal products. It does sound like scratches. My Arabian got them on the pink-skinned areas on his pastern and fetlock areas. Now that you have treated the areas for fungus you could probably spray the raw skin with tea tree oil to promote healing. Hope this helps. I knew a lady who used a lot of DMSO on her horses, it is important to know that DMSO is a solvent, that can absorb into the skin, AND it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Please be careful if you decide to use it.

It certainly sounds like scratches to me. I've never had it with minis, but when I had big horses, they would get it sometimes. It was awful.

I'm not a fan of DMSO, but I do like using Desitin as a fixative and protectant for an antifungal that you use.

The best kind of Desitin is the original formula with fish oil in it. It doesn't smell good. The newer kind doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't last as long on the skin nor does it heal as fast. Go with the smelly kind.

Latest posts

Back