Critique please...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimie28

Reaction score
For my new years resolution, I WANT TO SHOW!

I can't make up my mind to keep my first colt & show him. Help me figure out his good points and his bad. From that, I can decide...

Click on first picture for video taken of him a couple of months ago. He is now very fuzzy and would need to clip him for better pictures.

Here a few pictures of him growing up. He is now 5 months old. I need better pictures for critique, but maybe you can get an idea with these and the video...

Remington9-8-07.jpg

Talkingtodad.jpg

Remyneckedited.jpg

Remilside10-22-07.jpg

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I couldn't get the video to work. What level are you wanting to show to? Do you just want to have fun or is your goal to win at a high level? I'm sure that would make a difference. He looks pretty nice in those pictures.

Hi Kimie, Hes cute as can be...I say show if thats what you want to do...who cares... go have fun with your little guy. I dont show ( Im too thin skinned....I already Know my ponies are the Best LOL ) But I live in Estero right down from you and if you ever feel the urge to drive give me a holla.....I have 3 driving boys that need some more fun driving time...Id love to have you come and take one out with me...this is the best time of the year here to drive and we have lots of fun trails....plus my ponies are tired of me talking to them the whole drive....I would love some company!! I'll pack us a lunch!!

Heidi

The pictures are not totally ideal but I see more on him that I like vs. don't like. Especially as a gelding, I think he could make a very fun show horse
default_yes.gif
I like his hip and looks like he has a decent length of neck and pleasant head. He looks balanced as well, even at his young age.

[SIZE=12pt]Hey Kim-[/SIZE]

I think you could have some fun with him as a show gelding - you need to get your feet wet as we talked about last night. I say get moving - show season is getting ready to crank up here - just over a month till State Fair.

I need to come visit soon for sure!!

Barbie

If you want to show, I say go for it! That is the best way to find out how he would do. Plus, as others said, there are lots of different ways to show - local and fun shows, or aspiring for a World or National Championship. Somewhere in that range you can likely find your niche. And once he is old enough to do performance classes, he might be able to compete at any of those levels, depending on his aptitude and training. If you think of it as a learning experience, you can't help but "win". Good luck! He is cute.

Thank you everybody for your comments and invites! I just may have to go "driving" one day with LittleRibbie.

I am curious to know, why does everybody quickly make the comment "as a gelding"?

This is just my experience showing one stallion - the one in my avatar. He has done well in halter at local (non-rated) and Pinto shows, but has been dead last in every AMHA halter class he ever entered. There are more photos of him on our website and also on the Photo/video forum right now (he is the one having his head shot edited) so you can judge him for yourself. Now, maybe he wouldn't have done any better as a gelding, but I do know our mare (Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic) seems to do OK in any level of competition that we have taken her to. My conclusion is that the AMHA stallion competition is just a lot harder. (Or maybe I am really barn blind).

I say show him if you want and if YOU want to keep him a colt for this then do. I showed for 14 years before I got y first blue ribbon. I say go for it and have fun.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

My advice for any one wanting to show, is grab you a horse you like and can work with well and go for it! Once you get in to the showing thing you can find your space of where you want to be and what you want to do. It is a learn as you go thing, at least it has been with us and we are always learning something new and we have been showing more on than off for 8 years and have had minis for 10. If you do not do well in a show or two, do not get upset, back up look at what you are doing and try to improve on it, see what you can change. Some people do performance and excel while others are better in halter. Just always remember to have fun and treat your horse right.

Thank you everybody for your comments and invites! I just may have to go "driving" one day with LittleRibbie.

I am curious to know, why does everybody quickly make the comment "as a gelding"?
I agree. Many are quick to judge a young colt when in my personal opinion it is VERY difficult to see how they will turn out. I have seen amazing looking foals that by the time they are mature and of breeding age aren't anything spectacular. I also think that clipping, conditioning, etc adds alot to the look of the horse. Of course you have to start with a well conformed animal and your guy seems to be doing very nicely in that department. I wouldn't be so quick to geld until he is at least 3 years of age in your case and then you can make a decision but it is YOUR decision to make, nobody elses. Now some should of course be gelded without question. Take him out next summer, clipped and show ready and who knows
default_yes.gif
. If you have never shown before than I suggest you start with the smaller shows, the local shows to get your confidence and his up. It will also be a good indicator if you want to go up to another level. I think he is sweet looking and does have potential but you won't know until you have him in the show ring and get feedback from the judges. Good luck and most of all, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should show him! Even if he stays for sale more people will see him that way and you can have fun in the meantime! Get moving!! LOL

People don't mean anything bad when they say "as a gelding". I think it's just that in reality 90+% of colts that are born should end up as geldings. I do think that you can tell at a very early age if a horse is truly of a quality that should remain as a stallion. Things like conditioning and clipping do not change the genetics of the horse. They are what we do to deal with a horse's shortcomings for the sake of the show ring. The basic, correct conformation has to be there from a very young age. It think it is far more common for a horse to go from stallion to gelding quality than the other way around.

Your is very cute and I definitely think you should show him.

I did not mean anything negative by saying I think he'd make a nice show gelding. If he were mine, that would be my plan for him. The fact is, some of the horses I personally think are among my nicest are also horses I chose to have gelded. So, for me to say he'd make a nice show gelding is not meant to be a put down.

Specifically, to me in the pictures, he looks over at the knee and has a pleasant but not gorgeous head. Once gelded, you can't change him back to a stallion. You've got nothing to loose by showing him as a stallion at registry shows and seeing how he does and how you feel about it then. But, I can promise you, I've never regretted gelding even really nice stallions. Just makes them more fun in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say take him out there and get your feet wet. Keep him a stallion if you want and see how he stacks up to the competition.

One thing about showing is the learning curve. I showed Arabs as a young person, I did pretty good. I never went farther than the local level but I could hold my own. When I got into minis, it was a whole new ball game. I jumped in both feet and took my share of gates. Feeding, condioning, body clipping, all of that takes time to learn.

Go to the shows, watch and learn. Pick someone that you are impressed with in the ring and get to know them. Frequent their stalls, watch them in the ring and warm up area. Heck, offer to help, you would be amazed how much you can learn if you offer to grunt for people.

Dont get discouraged if your first show is not full of blue ribbbons or even ribbons for that matter. Go with the attitude of learning and having fun. Maybe attend a couple without a horse so you are not distracted by having to get your horse ready and cared for. You are fortunate to live in an area that has a long show season. You may even have a show barn that is close to you that you could hang out at and offer help. Most wont turn it down! LOL

From someone that shows mares and a stallion, I am looking forward to gelding my stallion, although I'm sure he isn't
default_biggrin.png
. I will then have the same temperment from him every day. The stallions can be high strung, and mares are moody. Two of my friends LOVE the stallion attitude, but is not for me. I have also thought the stallion competion was pretty tough, so I might have better luck with him as a gelding. Plus, I don't plan to breed, so why not geld?? This is just an option you might want to consider, there is no right or wrong. Get out there and show him as a stallion, have fun!!! You can always geld later if that is what you want.

I didn't mean to sound like I took it negatively by the "gelding" comments. I was just curious as why so many of the comments mentioned it. At first I did think, well maybe he doesn't have what it takes but then when targetsmom explained it her way with her guy, it does make since and I shouldn't take it as a negative thing. You people have been there and done that and I respect that. I know there is alot of really nice horses out there so getting those blue ribbons would be alot of work with the right horse. I do need to just get out there, get started and JUST HAVE FUN!

I have been to several shows now over that last couple of years and I have made some wonderful friends. One being Barbie on the forum here who has offer to take me on and help me get started. You just do not find people like that everyday so I am very grateful to her so THANKS BARBIE!!!
default_biggrin.png

I also wanted to mention this colt appears to have gotten that "pesky gray gene" from his sire. I can easily imagine him all white and silver. I think it would definately improve his looks making him sharp and crisp looking.

Latest posts

Back