Critical help needed...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punky

Reaction score
I need help answering questions about some of my minis dying with

no signs of anything being wrong, went out to fed last night and

Everyone was fine, got up this morning and found one of my mares

had died, she was 12. This is the fourth horse we have lost in the last

2 months. Two of which we know what happened to them, but came

home friday night and found one of my yearlyings gone, then this morning

found one of my brood mares gone. In october is when i lost my

first two, just after my dad past away. The one mare was a accident,

got kicked my another horse. Then another one had colic on new

hay the vet was called but they couldn`t save her. So any help would

be appricated. I`m out of reasons, I`v looked all thru my field and

couldn`t find nothing in there either., All my horses are current on

shots, wormers, etc. These aren`t just horses they are my kids pets

and are loved on all the time, so Please no flaming I`ve had

enough heart ache to last me a life time with the minis dying, my dad

passing away also. And I did have vet out also, going to have water

tested also. So any suggestions would be appricated by any one

Thanks,

Tina

I don't have any ideas but you certainly have my thoughts and prayers.

Oh my goodness... how tragic! I am so sorry for you.

Unfortunately without being there to look around it's impossible to guess at anything over a public forum. I hope your vet investigates thoroughly to find the root of the problem!

Good luck,

Andrea
default_sad.png

No ideas here either. Prayers coming your way in hopes you find a cause before any other problems occur.

Angie

Could there be something in your new hay? Do you have Decon or any other rodent controll about your barn? Are your horses accessable to the public i.e. people comming up to your fence and feeding them? I have that problem. People will bring stuff to feed my horses and to pet them. I just tell them they can pet the horses just please don't feed them anything. They are nice and say ok but then there are the people I don't see.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, There is a main road that goes the top

of their field, I have seen people throw things over the hill. But they can`t get

into my horses its like a hill there and the horses fence doesn`t go clear to the

road. But thanks for the suggestion, I keep a close watch on that side because

of them throwing things out. Tryin to keep it cleaned up. There is no decon out

either, I had a post on them and nothing showed up in it the vet said. All organs

are fine nothing looked wrong with them.

Thanks,

Tina

I am so very sorry for all your tragedies lately. Thoughts go out to you.

I have no clue what might have happened. Sure would consult the vet or vets about what all to look for in your pastures or barn.

Can they do blood tests to test toxicology?

Again, so sorry....

Tiny, my heart goes out to you.I am so sorry for all your losses. Hugs.I hope its through , and I am praying for you.

Tina, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your dad. And that you've also lost 4 of your fur kids. That is so devatating! I'm SO sorry! I wish I could say or do something to make it better.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Don't know about a pattern, but we lost one and it turned out to be a heart attack. They can also have aneurysms ( not sure about spelling ). Had a client horse just die overnight once and it turned out to be ulcers.

I'd have to go for the necropsy.

Sorry about your mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am I don't have any advice either, but I do want to let you know how terribly sorry I am for the loss of your Dad as well as your 4 horses. This must be totally devaststing and frustrating for you and your family.
default_sad.png
(((HUGS)))

I'm soo sorry for your losses, how tragic especially with the loss of your father too. Sending you big hugs!

The only thing I can think of it Yew bushes, they are an evergreen type bush or small tree, and it only takes a very small amount and kills them in a short time. The clippings can kill them, even a very small "taste."

Sending good thoughts too, I hope you can find what is going on to prevent it from happening again.

You said one horse died after you changed hay in October. Are there any berries intermittently through your hay? Maybe check a few bales?.

Your vet is likely the best person to give you some ideas.

It is quite a coincidence to have 4 pass so close together.

Accidents certainly happen and colic is something we hear of more than we like, however the other two unknowns must be troubling.

Good luck finding the causes and let us know.

Really sorry for your troubles.

Thanks for all your replies and thoughts,

As for the hay, we went back to our other

hay guy, so i don`t think its our hay.

Thanks,

Tina

Dear Tina

I am so sorry for your loss. I truly hope you find peace in your heart and the reason your minis died. I wish I could come up with an answer but I can't. Some of our forum friends my be able to offer some answers or ideas for you to check out I hope.

FLFlyingW

Oh my. this is just the saddest thing! Losing your father then the horses. I am so very sorry.

I haven't read the other's suggestions, but one thing that comes to mind is high nitrate levels...either in grass or hay or in water. My vet has described this to me..... Horse calmly eating hay, turns around walks a few steps and falls over dead. A necropsy done and horse tested for nitrate levels and bingo. Hay was then tested and found to be dangerously high. It isn't very expensive to test pasture for nitrate levels so I would think hay and water would be the same. Might be worth looking into. I would think your local extension service could advise you.

I do hope the bad times are over for you and your family.

Charlotte

How horrible to lose your dad and then your horses. I am so sorry but unfortunately, I don't have any brilliant ideas about what might be wrong with the horses. I sure hope the bad times are behind you though.

I am so sorry for your losses...
default_sad.png
I know sometimes we have losses that do not make sense....But When they happen more than once with no reason, it makes you wonder what is going on........If you had the necropsy done and it came back with no answers, then I am not sure what advise to give you. I just pray you find out what caused it, and can move on. I know our minis our like our family, but one thing I have always been told, when you have livestock you will have losses....some explained and some not. It is hard and we always try to do right, but even when you are doing EVERYTHING you possibly can, sometimes that is not even enough.

Again I am sorry for the loss of your dad, and the minis....may the New year be much brighter for you.
default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back