Crap we lost a foal :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littledonkeys.com

Reaction score
ok as far as I was told by Jason, he got home last night and Coco was in labor so he went to assist and the legs somehow were in teh wrong position and causing breathing trouble on teh foal, which was a white spotted jennet (what jason dearly wanted).

Coco was a 3.5 (I think) yr old Jennet and this was her 1st foal, Jason called the Vet and he came out. He said there was nothing he could do that any pulling would worsen the situation and he came to the conclusion that the foal had already suffocated after the Vet had felt around.

They then had to cut the foal out due to the positioning to save the Coco who is in critical condition right now.

The vet said if you are in the Donkey breeding business long enough, you will eventually see a foal with the legs in the wrong position.

This would have been the 1st foal under the the ADMS prefix of Hand Picked "Foal"

yea exactly what jason wanted too. The vet said it was a 1:1000 incident of the legs getting hung on the mothers pelvis bone. I have heard from some that it may have been due or could have been prevented if the Jennet had not been stalled for the prior two weeks. She could have run or rolled and helped the baby reposition????...dont know enough to say yea or nay

I am so sorry for your loss.I'm not sure if having the jennet in a stall had any bearing, but I have lost Mini foals&the mare due to legs being jammed against the pelvis and had to cut another foal out of the mare when the head was over the back.both these mares were out in the pasture except at night when they were under cameras.Sometimes it just isn't meant to be for these tiny ones.Hope your mom is ok-keep us posted.

well the vet said he didnt know if she would make it, but a positive sign was she was up and moving around today.

Chances are she will be pastured and not bred again.

[SIZE=12pt]So sorry about your little one...
default_sad.png
I really hope mom's okay. Please keep us posted. Poor girl...bless her little heart... Shannon
[/SIZE]

How awful
default_sad.png
I am so sorry. Poor Momma....I had a red bag birth this last winter and baby didn't survive
default_sad.png
Very sad
default_sad.png
...It is so hard for the Jenny's as well...they do grieve...give her a hug for me...she'll be in heat soon...be careful with her around Jacks if you don't want her to breed. So sorry...Teri

Yes more than likely she will be seperated from the jacks, and possibly sold, but between Jason, Heather, and their daughter Autumn, all th eanimals get plenty of attention haha

[SIZE=12pt]Hey littledonkeys.com, what can we call you? We know your partner is Jason, but I didn't ever catch your name...lol! [/SIZE]

Also, do you know how the momma donkey is doing? She has been on my mind a lot. I know she's grieving, bless her heart... Shannon

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL yes sorry

Jason Hand owns and runs Hand Picked Miniature Donkeys in Bristol, VA

My Name is Chris Chalkley, I built the website, run the website, and direct marketing for his business.

Coco seems to be making her recovery now, Jason has to give her shots several times a day to insure no infection in the hind quarters. She will not be bred again, and since jason is in it more for business than pleasure, although he loves doing this....he will sell her more than likely.

But he told me he will make sure and tell the new owner not to breed her and about her experience even though she will be priced like a Gelding

LOL yes sorry

My Name is Chris Chalkley, I built the website, run the website, and direct marketing for his business.

Coco seems to be making her recovery now, Jason has to give her shots several times a day to insure no infection in the hind quarters. She will not be bred again, and since jason is in it more for business than pleasure, although he loves doing this....he will sell her more than likely.

But he told me he will make sure and tell the new owner not to breed her and about her experience even though she will be priced like a Gelding

LOL yes sorry

LOL yes sorry

LOL yes sorry

LOL yes sorry

LOL yes sorry

LOL yes sorry

LOL yes sorry

LOL yes sorry

Latest posts

Back