Couple of quick questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
Have you ever been so tired that it's an effort to blink your eyes?
default_wacko.png
:

We're getting ready for the open show at the fair. I'm taking one, hopefully two, possibly three. Depends on how many folks I can con into helping me.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

OK, first... my 2-year-old Foundation Classic filly... how much conditioning do you all do with your 2-year olds? And what type? We've just been walking and walking and walking. I'm pretty sure I'm getting more of a work-out than she is. She's got energy to burn. Do you all lunge your 2-year olds? The only youngsters I've raised have been TBs, and lunging them at 2 is a no-no. I'm still limited as to what I can do with my right arm with the rib injury; I can't ground drive right now because of it. Dizzy doesn't look fat or flabby, but she doesn't look toned either. I also turn her out in the arena and free lunge her as she wants. I actually had to disassemble my jumps tonight because she discovered them and thought it was oh so groovy to jump over stuff. She's such a blast; I can't wait til this one is all grown up! She's still holding at a hair under 38". We'll see...

Next... what brand/type of electrolytes do you all use? Do you have to get it from a vet? I picked up this thick liquid stuff in little packets , I think it's a Farnam product? I couldn't find the stuff in the tubes. This product is a top-dress, which I like because it's so easy to use. It smells good too, and they ate it right up. I used it last weekend on my two mares at a playday because dang it's hot. I wasn't thinking (seems to be a trend this summer) and gave them each a full packet (not thinking the packets are likely dosed for big horses) the night before the show. They ended up peeing tons at the show the next day. I'm talking A LOT, like every hour on the hour, and of couse in the ring during judging. I was worried they were going to dehydrate, but they drank lots of water the whole day, so much that their manure got loose. When I got home that night I gave them each about a 1/4 of a packet; the stalls were still really wet the next morning but manure was normal. Is that normal when giving electrolytes, the excessive urinating and loose manure? I want to give them something for the trip to the fair, but not sure that stuff had the right effect.

I'm looking for a local rent-a-kid under 6 to take into lead-line with Ripple. If we don't find one, she'll probably stay home which would suit her fine. She's a lover, not a competitor.
default_wub.png
: Though she was really a good girl at the playday, except for having an intense dislike for a mini-mule that was tied next to her. Sassy and Dizzy will go in halter classes against the big mares. Should be fun. They don't have in-hand trail for horses over 2, so Sassy can't do that and Dizzy is just not ready.

Yikes, I have got to get to bed now...

I do work 2 yr olds and never had a problem. We usually do most work round penning but i do lunge at the shows.

My guess is that packet was for a big tank of water. I have those packets here and I think they are supposed to be diluted to 40 gallons of water. So yes your horses probably got too much which caused them to drink a lot and urinate a lot.

I use probiotics paste before putting them on the trailer and again when we get to the show. IF its horribly hot try diluting drinking water with gatorade.

When given the proper dose they dont get loose stools.

Good luck!!!

Hey there.....skip the electrolites and get some of our locally made (fruitland) organic ACV works much better is very tasty my horses love it (I enjoy it in water as well).................free lunging in you arena would be a great conditioning exercise for the 2 yr old and the older ones as well without hurting your ribs.........and I find lunging a mini/small pony on a big horse line to not be too much stress on the legs
default_wink.png
: so no worries...........good luck.....and we must get together before I move (we have a couple of weeks)
default_wink.png
:

Hey there.....skip the electrolites and get some of our locally made (fruitland) organic ACV works much better is very tasty my horses love it (I enjoy it in water as well).................free lunging in you arena would be a great conditioning exercise for the 2 yr old and the older ones as well without hurting your ribs.........and I find lunging a mini/small pony on a big horse line to not be too much stress on the legs
default_wink.png
: so no worries...........good luck.....and we must get together before I move (we have a couple of weeks)
default_wink.png
:
Yes ma'am; we MUST get together before you leave! I've been free-lunging the filly and the older ones as well. Had an incident with the clothesline (yes, I can actually injure myself doing laundry) and am pretty sore again. Dangit. 24 days until the show too.
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back