Country Acres Horse Sweet 10

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Went to the feed store the other day and saw "COUTNRY ACES HORSE SWEET 10" and decided I would buy it and try it out. As far as price goes, it is $8.90 whereas what I was previously purchasing in Spring was Strategy which is $13.75 - so it is better for my wallet. 

Nutrition is as follows:

• protein - 10%
  • fat - 2.5%
  • fiber - 15%
And it also contains calcium, phosphorous, copper, selenium, sinc, vitamin A & B-12
HAS ANYONE USED THIS BRAND BEFORE AND HOW DO YOU LIKE IT? 

So far even my pickiest eaters love it and it seems to be delicious to all the horses. It is very fresh, and I am pleased with it so far. 

I am currently feeding each of my Mini's 2 cups (1/2#) morning and night --> how long should it take for me to start seeing any kind of results, be it positive or negative?

I have used it before horses loved it and they did good on it .I dont use it anymore cause the feed store i got it from is no longer here moved away. its not a bad feed i would still be feeding it if i had a store who carried it.

What are the ingredients? Does it list actual things, like oats, barley, corn? Or, does it list grain by-products, forage products, etc?

I used this stuff a long time ago and never had a single issue at all with it. I actually am considering feeding this again but I am really not sure yet. I want to say that there was a recall on this product though in 2008. I have no idea on whether or not they still have the recall out or not.. I will have to call and ask

Glad to hear no negative results from this but the ingredients (as listed on the tag) goes as follows:

• wheat middlings
  • ground peanut hulls
  • cracked corn
  • coarse barley
  • corn gluten feed
  • cane molasses
  • wheat flour
  • calcium carbonate
  • salt
  • propionic acid (preservative)
  • viatmin supplement
  • vitamin -12
  • riboflavin supplement
  • ground corn
  • vitamin a supplement
  • zinc oxide
  • copper sulfate
  • calcium iodate
  • magnesium oxide
  • cobalt carbonate
  • ferrous carbonate
  • vitamin d13
  • manganous oxide
  • sodium selenite

While this feed wouldn't be my first choice (I have a mare with corn sensitivity), I would chose it, over another feed that listed "grain products" and "roughage products" as ingredients, rather than actual ingredients (like those listed in this product).

Glad to hear no negative results from this but the ingredients (as listed on the tag) goes as follows:

• wheat middlings
  • ground peanut hulls
  • cracked corn
  • coarse barley
  • corn gluten feed
  • cane molasses
  • wheat flour
  • calcium carbonate
  • salt
  • propionic acid (preservative)
  • viatmin supplement
  • vitamin -12
  • riboflavin supplement
  • ground corn
  • vitamin a supplement
  • zinc oxide
  • copper sulfate
  • calcium iodate
  • magnesium oxide
  • cobalt carbonate
  • ferrous carbonate
  • vitamin d13
  • manganous oxide
  • sodium selenite

I just cannot bring myself to feed anything to my horses with stuff like "ground peanut hulls" on the ingredient list. That's just junk, filler. It fills an animal up without providing any real nutritional benefit. Ground peanut hulls are a by-product of (for the most part) peanut butter production; they roast and hull the nuts and then they grind up the hulls and sell that to animal feed manufacturers. Usually, the higher on the ingredient list an ingredient is listed more of that ingredient is in the product and ground peanut hulls are listed as the second ingredient in this feed. If you want to fill their bellies up and you just feed them to "keep them coming" (as I call it) to the gate and/or you don't ask them to do much work, it is probably an "acceptable" feed, but if you are trying to feed a performance horse or a show horse or a horse that is lacking body condition or a young horse or an old horse, I would spring for something better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with anabellarose. I have used this feed before, but I always used it as a 'sweet feed' or just a grain. It was just for getting the supplement into the horse, not as a nutritional supplement to feed. I would not find it nutritionally comparable to Stratgey which is made with vitamins/minerals/good stuff, but it is more a sweet treat or extra calories. My horses always liked it and ate what I put in it (usually psyllium or bute), but when I wanted something nutritionally good for them I went with something like Strategy. L

I wouldn't touch this feed with a ten foot pole .

My brother was feeeding this to our riding horses and it made them extremely "hot" . And I never liked the amount of corn in this product . Yes, it's cheap , but cheap isn't always good.

After we went thru the first ton ,I begged him not to buy anymore and switched back to what we were feeding originally and we can ride our horses again.
default_biggrin.png

This is a product manufactured by Purina sold here locally. Its a low end junk food. I wouldn't feed it.

I talked to my MIL and she told me up in Ft Morgan that this stuff doesnt sell worth a crap up there. It makes them hot and its empty since its alot of fillers. She reccommended Purina Country Acres Sweet Mix 10. From what she told me it actually is a mineral pellet... Might be worth looking into..

Back