corn cob bedding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1keegan

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you have tried corn cob bedding and what you think of it?

Someone locally has started to sell it in bags; a few pennies more than the same sized bag of shavings. They claim it is much more absorbent than shavings and reduces odor.

We have a mama and her 6 week old colt who are in a stall at night, and my first thought was what if they eat it??

Perhaps some of you have tried it and could share your opinions?

thanks,

LG

Moundsview Farms has become the newest distributor of Corn Cob Bedding in your area and we are excited to be a part of this super product!

We want to give you the opportunity to try this bedding and would be happy to demonstrate our product so that you can see the advantages for yourself. This bedding is time saving, creates less waste and has terrific odor control. We have been using BEST COB BEDDING in our horse stable and have been amazed by its longevity, and how much time and money we have saved. Below you can see from left to right the dry pellet stage, moisture added stage and the expanded and ready to use product. It nearly triples in size! In the next few paragraphs you will find a complete description of the products and a downloadable version of our brochure is available at the conclusion of this page.

Found the above on the web................

Someone told me of a horse eating a bedding that expanded when wet and the horse had problems due to the stuff expanding inside after it ate it.

Not sure if it was choke or colic...whatever it was, it was bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My feed store started selling best cob bedding a few weeks back, i tried it in a few stalls and did not like it. Mostly because it did not give my barn that fresh pine scent (it has no scent at all) and it did not control the odor well. Its basically the same thing as pine pellets which you can buy too, but the pine pellets control the oder better and last a lot longer i believe. Costs about the same as the pine pellet bedding, but i way prefer the pine pellets over the cob bedding (it looks just like the pine pellets).

I used corn cob bedding thats sold for small animals, on small animals of course, and after that experience i'll never use it for horses, or even small animals again. It was dustier than shavings, my pets ate it, and it got moldy fast.

Latest posts

Back