Contacts...yay!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I've worn glasses exclusively for the past 8 yrs and originally I had planned to get Lasik done, but financially I can't afford it right now, so I finally broke down and got contacts!! I was a "pro" at my training session...lol...the person teaching me how to put them in and take them out had to ask a few times..."Are you sure you have never worn contacts before?" lol Took me 15 min. to put them in, take them out and put them back on again!
default_aktion033.gif
I LOVE them...and wondering what took me so long to get them!
default_laugh.png

I have a stigmatism in both eyes and I also decided to get "mono vision" lenses, which corrects one eye for far-sightedness and one eye for near-sightedness. So far so good....
default_aktion033.gif

Good for you! They have training sessions for people getting contacts? LOL

I have an eye doctor appointmen next tuesday, im getting glasses
default_rolleyes.gif

Good for you! They have training sessions for people getting contacts? LOL

I have an eye doctor appointmen next tuesday, im getting glasses
default_rolleyes.gif

LOL!! Yep, they do! I guess it's a liability thing, so you don't hurt your eyes, then sue the eye dr...lol
default_wacko.png
There is a correct way to put them in and take them out.
default_rolleyes.gif

Good luck with your glasses.
default_aktion033.gif

Years ago when I first tryed contacts I about had the eye doctor in a fit, everytime he got near my eyes I would close them, then after the contacts were in he played all heck getting them out. They were the old simi harded ones. The soft contacts are soooo much better. I had the lasik done a few years ago but I'm back to using glasses again. I have free enhansments but I just have not got around to having it done again.

Anyhow good for you with the contacts you will enjoy them.

Congrats! Good for you.
default_aktion033.gif

I'm having my lasik done on March 6th, I can't wait. I've been wearing glasses since I was 12 (38 now). I do wear contacts alot...not to work or around the house, but everywhere else. I have very dry eyes though and they bothered me constantly. I even wear the latest ones that are specifically for dry eyes (Oasis disposable). I had to end up getting plugs put in my bottom tear ducts and that did help alot. I can't wait to get rid of these glasses/contacts. I love to do outdoor stuff...hunt, fish, swim, ski...and contacts/glasses just get in my way...I am blind as a bat without them. I can't wait to get up in the morning and not have to reach for my glasses to see.

I'll be sure and let you know how I like it...they do have financing available from capital one specifically for lasik...it's not a credit card, it's only for the procedure and basically a personal loan, the payments remain the same until it's paid off. As long as you have a descent credit score, the interest isn't too terribly high either...just something to think about.

Hope you like your contacts.

Sonya....

I work for ophthalmologists, and I had lasik 9 years ago.

FYI...... If you have dry eyes now, Lasik will make your eyes even drier. PLEASE, PLEASE consult your doctor about this. Ask him/her if you should be on Restasis ( it makes you produce better tear quality).

Also, since you are close to 40, you might want to consider monovision correction (one eye for distance, one eye for near). If he corrects both eyes for distance, it will only be a couple of years before you will be needing to wear readers. Hence, making Lasik a lesser option. I was 33 when I had mine, wish now I would have opted for monovision.

Good luck on your surgery, I have loved being glasses and contacts lens free. I am now anxious to have the bifocal implants done, just not old enough yet!!! Finally, something I am too young for, that makes me feel
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for the info Kelly. The plugs will stay in my ducts so they don't anticipate any problems, plus I am on Doctor's Advantage Eye Relief. The fact that I smoke (in the process of trying to quit) and take alot of sudafed/benadryl doesn't help my dry eyes, so I'm trying to cut back on the anihistamines (sp?)..which I think I'll be able to even more when I quit smoking. I'm not on birth control pills anymore and that helped my eyes immensely. As of right now, I can wear my contacts all day (not at night) without any issues as long as I'm not in a bar or somewhere very smokey (I smoke outside). I only take the pills/have the plugs to be able to wear contacts comfortably. When I wear my glasses my eyes are often too watery (from the plugs). My Surgeons anticipates being able to totally remove the plugs after a couple months of my surgery.

I can not do monovision. I have to keep a medical certificate for work (Air Traffic Controller) which requires 20/20 in both eyes SEPERATELY, so I can not do the monovision. That is true I may eventually have to wear glasses for close-up (as most do after 40). But it will probably be needed only at work when I am working Radar. Believe me, I have thought/ researched this for many years, going to 3 different eye surgeons before finding the one I like as well as discussing it indept with the Flight Surgeon (who ok's my medical condition)...This is a very big deal for me since it can ultimately affect my career. If I am not correctble to 20/20 after the surgery (be it with glasses), then I will loose my medical and my job. I would not be eligble for medical retirement since it's an elective surgery. I am confident though, there are three people I work with (also Controllers) who'v had it done and they haven't had any issues, as well as many other people I know outside of work....I can't wait!

(sorry to hijack your thread Linda)
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The dry eye thing was really bad for me. It was months before I didnt feel like I had sand in my eyes.

I used eye drops all day. But was it worth it YES
default_yes.gif

Sonya....

Sounds like you have really done your homework on this... good for you. I hope you get perfect results. It is really awesome to be independent from glasses/contacts. If I needed to do Lasik again, I would be first in line. Let us know your results!!!!!! Good luck on your sx.

Back