Conformation Opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchhollow

Reaction score
Looking for some confo opinions on my mare (and go ahead and be honest, people often bring me dogs and ask what I think I first ask 'do you really want to know', yes I do want to know, that is the only way I will learn).

Pics aren't great as my daugher and I have no idea what we are doing. She just had a foal, and with the giant haybelly still looks prego.

What I see, rear angulation could be better (but I am used to looking at dogs), head a little plain, neck tie in could be better. The thing that stands out most to me is her legs look fine compared to her body, now couild be because her body is huge all the time?

She is just under 34, registered a, but will probably hardship into r as I think most of our shows around here are r.

Not really looking to do halter, more cart /preformance events, does anything stick out that would rule her out for those events?

007.JPG

014.JPG

009.JPG

Performance is more about their minds, their attitudes and how they can move so I see nothing whatsoever in her standing conformation that would "rule her out" of anything at all! She's a lovely girl. It's nice to see a horse with some body (not the belly, but how sturdy she is through her entire frame) and you should find that if you're inclined to drive her that will give her plenty of power and probably good long-term soundness. Her legs are indeed pretty fine but that makes her look much larger than she is and probably won't affect her soundness like it would with a much heavier big horse carrying a rider. There's just not enough weight there to overstress those legs.

Her hip is a little short to me from the point of the hip to the tailhead but her stifle is decently deep and she's got lovely thick muscling back there even when not conditioned. Her shoulder appears nice and her neck ties in fairly well with plenty of room for a breastcollar. She should be able to bridle up comfortably as long as you take your time and make sure she doesn't learn to use the muscles along the bottom of her neck. She's just thick enough that if she does she won't be able to bridle well. She won't be great at getting her hind end under her but I suspect she'll trek out cross-country very happily and reliably and from the pictures she looks to have a likable personality. I bet she'd love to have a job!

Leia

You say your mare has a hay belly. I have a mare that has what I call a "Broodmare Belly" (nothing gets rid of it). But, she is a very nice Country Pleasure mare. My mare even wins in the breed ring. So, if driving is what you want to do, she looks like she should be able to get the job done.

You are also in a state that has a couple of great miniature clubs and lots of great, friendly people that can probably help you out. Lots of shows too!

Thanks for the replies! She does seem to have a great mind and attitude. I am sure I will have questions as to how to not let her learn to use the wrong muscles when i get to bitting her!

Thanks for reminding about those clubs, someone mentioned them in my introduction post, but just googled them and will go through the websites. I am attending my first mini show tomorrow (Lincoln, NE), looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back