Conditioning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Horse Lover

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Another halter question!

Heard there are different ways to condition for halter. If you don't have a treadmill then you can make them trot behind you on a golf cart or other vehicle. Also I heard that certain feeds will help. Under lights for spring, sweats, all kinds of stuff!

As a new person what do you do?

I would suggest doing a forum search for "conditioning" as there has been many long topics already discussing the different points you brought up here (treadmills, methods of working horses, feeding, lights, supplements, sweats, etc.) that I doubt it could be answered again all here
default_smile.png

As for working the horses, I have never used a treadmill OR golf cart. I usually freelunge my youngsters, go for walks around town to "see the sights", lunge on a line for older horses, and preferably drive the older ones. The key is variation. It will go hand-in-hand with your feeding program and conditioning "from the outside" with sweats and grooming.

Andrea

The biggest mistake I see most newer people make is working them to hard too fast. Like people you have to ease into it. I do not believe in working horses every day but others do.

For sure its a total package between feed and conditioning. If your starting with a heavy horse its actually much easier then starting with a thin horse. But either way you have to go slow and build up.

The other mistake is feeding like a science project. I am a firm believer in Keep It Simple. Good feed, good hay. I dont think you have to spend hours mixing feeds to get a good result.

Keep in mind that show horses are much more prone to ulcers. So we try to feed more small meals through out the day. That way it keeps something in their stomach. Some new people make the mistake of thinking a thin horse is "show shape" This will really count against you in the ring.

The biggest mistake I see most newer people make is working them to hard too fast.
The biggest mistake I see on top of the one mentioned above is a very thin horse and calling it refined. Show horses have to eat and eat a lot to maintain muscle tone and weight while working. If your horse has a large belly and you can see the back bone, you are not doing something right.

*oops sorry Kay, did not read your next to last sentance I guess. Well I just backed you up
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back