Concrete barn floors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizze98765

Reaction score
Hello, we have always had a concrete barn floor and use rubber mats in the stalls. It's worked wonderfully, but we're on a quest to try and make our barn more efficient. In the winter time we have to drag matts around to make a walkway for the minis with snowy hooves so they dont slip. I was wondering if anyone has used the rubber pavers that I've seen advertised. I've never seen a barn with them used though. Also, we are having some issues getting our boys turned out regularly enough (another post!) but would like to still keep them but dont have the facilities for 24/7 turnout. Is there anything to do except for breaking up the concrete in the barn to make it suitable to double as an open barn/run-in? I don't know the price but I would imagine that it would cost a fortune. I've seen that the rubber pavers are even used at race tracks and are really thick so I didn't know if they would work as flooring as a small shelter area. Would you think there would be a huge difference between a run in barn with rubber floors as opposed to them standing on rubber mats in their stalls?

I've been in barns with the rubber pavers and they are wonderful! Wish I had them! I don't see any reason they wouldn't serve as good flooring for a turn out area.

Charlotte

Our barn has a concrete floor, and we use the front half of the aisle as a run in shed for one horse. Originally we had it open for our Morgan stallion to use; we have a ribbed rubber mat on the floor but when that big stallion would come flying into the barn then put on the brakes, the mat would slide. With the Minis, that hasn't been a problem--it stays put as a Mini isn't heavy enough to put that kind of force on it.

The only issue is the rubber mat gets very slippery in cold weather. We put down a thick layer of straw for bedding & that makes good footing. Shavings would work too. I'd say there's no need to break up the concrete in your barn!

Our barn has a concrete floor, and we use the front half of the aisle as a run in shed for one horse. Originally we had it open for our Morgan stallion to use; we have a ribbed rubber mat on the floor but when that big stallion would come flying into the barn then put on the brakes, the mat would slide. With the Minis, that hasn't been a problem--it stays put as a Mini isn't heavy enough to put that kind of force on it.

The only issue is the rubber mat gets very slippery in cold weather. We put down a thick layer of straw for bedding & that makes good footing. Shavings would work too. I'd say there's no need to break up the concrete in your barn!
Thanks a lot! I hadn't thought of straw or shavings on top of them. I was worried about them slipping going back and forth from the mats to the snow in the winter. Guess that would solve it. Does the straw usually work for the snow/ice too? I dont know how slippery mats get since ours are just in the stalls.

What about getting the rubber mats that have holes in them? (Are those rubber pavers? Sorry for being dumb on that.) Another option is getting rubber stall mats and turn them upside down so the rough side is exposed.

We did that by accident once, but discovered the footing was much better!

MA

What about getting the rubber mats that have holes in them? (Are those rubber pavers? Sorry for being dumb on that.) Another option is getting rubber stall mats and turn them upside down so the rough side is exposed.

We did that by accident once, but discovered the footing was much better!

MA
I hadn't thought of the mats with holes in them. The pavers are the thick ones that look like bricks but are rubber that interlock. I figured it would be more expensive, but still cheaper than a major construction project to figure something else out. I thought it would fix the possible problem of the mats shifting.

Does the straw usually work for the snow/ice too? I dont know how slippery mats get since ours are just in the stalls
Yes, the straw works for snow/ice too--we get plenty of both most winters and as long as there is a good layer of straw the horses don't slip & slide at all The mat we have in the barn aisle is quite a hard, solid one & it's very slippery in the cold. The softer stall mats I think have a little more give to them and aren't quite as slippery.

I love the look of the rubber pavers.I have a dirt floor and really dont like concrete but if I had a choice to do it all over again.. I would use asphalt. It has a bit of give (sounds odd but it does) and is a bit less slippery as well

I have concrete floors throughout the whole barn. All my stalls are matted with some very heavy mats, which is the only drawback to my mats--(there heavy to lift and clean!) We have never had any problems with them getting slippery in winter, or slidding around when the horses come flying in on them. but ours dont have a smooth surface, there more nubby. I have been in barns with the rubber pavers and I LOVE them. They not only look nice, but seem to have excellent footage. I would like to have them in my aisle SOMEDAY.
default_yes.gif
: Corinne

Our isle is concreat but not the stalls. We dont have any problems with the horses slipping on it. We just take it slow and if we have to we put a mat out infront of each door opening so when they come out they dont slip as they have to step up. Other wise they walk fine on it.

We have all concrete. I don't use mats in the stalls because the mats tend to trap urine under them, and it is much easier for cleaning to be able to simply open the gates and use the bobcat to clean. I bed deeply, and the ponies can come and go as they like. With 6 months of winter a year, this has never been a problem. I also use shavings. The entrance is paved with pebbly gravel, so good traction before they get to the interior which is smooth.

Latest posts

Back