Concerning Aurora.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If the mare is calm enough and you have a good and patient equine dentist; you may be able to get the floating done without anethesia. Just depends on the situation.

I've only come across one vet/equine dentist that choses to try to float without meds to see how they react; before drugging them if necessary. [he was very good and patient.]
Absolutely I agree it's better to avoid sedation but as you said it depends on the patient. In most all states it's illegal for a lay person, certified or not to practice equine dentistry, unless under the guidance of a DVM. Most vets don't want the liability so many of them continue to travel about and practice without it. I am fortunate to have several DVMs locally with upper level training in all phases of dentistry but I know some areas are devoid of many services I take for granted. I personally wouldn't subject mine to any more trauma than necessary for routine work and if a little sedation helps keep them from having a bad experience I'm all for it.

I have heard nothing but praises about many equine dentists who can float without sedation or power but for many horses that is not an option. The little mare is in such poor condition she probably won't put up much if any resistance. I don't know if that is a good thing or not but to each their own.

Have you considered an extruded feed once she goes back onto grain?

They are said to be easier to digest because they start breaking down as soon as they hit saliva

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I wish the best for all involved!

I had great luck with soaked alfalfa cubes and beet pulp for putting weight on Nefertiti's mom... Neffie dragged her down until weaning and Mom has bounced back and looks great now that Neffie is on her own.

Freedom's mom Hope also dropped weight during her pregnancy with her first colt in 2000 and the soaked alfalfa cubes helped to stabilize her to a healthy weight - our vet at the time recommended supplementing her with alfalfa as he was not happy with her weight.

Looking forward to good news from Lori, Bob and Aurora!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Any news???

Lori, were you able to get her today?

If this keeps up -- Aurora and Tonto will turn into the LB mascots!

MA

We had an ice storm last week and everything has been frozen since. Today is the first day that things have had a chance to kind of thaw out. Bob's trailer was frozen in the ice and he spent most of the day getting it out so decided to wait until morning to bring her here. I had tried calling him several times throughout the day and couldn't get him but he called me when he got home just before dinner time tonight and explained what happened to him. He was very apologetic and upset that he hadn't been able to get her to me today so I am sure he will show up tomorrow. We are all ready here with a freshly bedded in shavings stall (I ordinarily use straw so I had to clean it right out and put the shavings in) double buckets to offer electrolytes and fresh water, heat lamp and camera ready (I just want to be able to keep an eye on her and see how she is eating) diet plan at the ready - I spoke to a nutritionist this morning who is experienced with malnourished horses and is helping me with her diet plan. She has said she is available any time I have questions (lovely lady!)

I will keep everyone updated on her progress which I am sure will be slow but steady. Keep thinking good thoughts for Aurora! Thanks everyone for your suggestions, helpful advice and good wishes
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: Lori

Hey Lori, I always did love you and this is another reason why.........Thank you for stepping up like you are and taking this on. You are very brave to tackle these problems and generous.

And guys, please don't get on Bob anymore ok?

There is not one of us here that has not screwed up and will continue to screw up in the future one way or the other. He loves his horses enough to let Aurora go and if that doesn't say enough well..........it does. I'm sure he is feeling very down and hurt right now and just didn't realize the problem until it was pointed out to him. Now it has and it's being fixed so please, let's be ready to welcome him back with open arms when his new baby is born! :aktion033:

I had a starved horse that I put on alfalfa and he colicked and went in for surgery. Now she has been getting something to eat where my boy had not had anything, so I'm sure there is a difference.

A good friend of mine says to feed her oatmeal. Don't know for sure but sounds good.
default_wacko.png
:

Robin

I agree with Marty
default_yes.gif
:

I am new to the forum and to mini ownership in general, however I have met Bob at various shows last summer and he is truly a wonderful man with his horses. They mean the world to him and it seems like alot of people were really harsh to him regarding the state of Aurora. I know that emails in general can be taken the wrong way in terms of tone and expression when they are read by different people, but I feel that alot of people on this site are too quick to judge him.

I read this forum many times a day and find most of the information very helpful, but to be honest I am a little worried about posting anything for fear of some of the responds I would get.

I think that posting your mare on the forum Bob, was a great thing to do...however I hope you don't feel bad about yourself from what some of the people on this forum have said. I know you love thoses horses.

Colleen you are new to this and I hope you mean well but, sometimes "love" is not only not enough, it is misguided.

OK, Bob has done/is going to do the right thing by this little mare, and we are all having a sigh of relief that she will now be safe, so I think we should really let it go at that, don't you???

Hey Lori, I always did love you and this is another reason why.........Thank you for stepping up like you are and taking this on. You are very brave to tackle these problems and generous.

And guys, please don't get on Bob anymore ok?

There is not one of us here that has not screwed up and will continue to screw up in the future one way or the other. He loves his horses enough to let Aurora go and if that doesn't say enough well..........it does. I'm sure he is feeling very down and hurt right now and just didn't realize the problem until it was pointed out to him. Now it has and it's being fixed so please, let's be ready to welcome him back with open arms when his new baby is born! :aktion033:
:aktion033: :aktion033:

Well said, Marty.
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

Arms are open at any time to all members... that is why we are here... to help each other, especially when the road has lots of speed bumps.
default_yes.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

NO, Jane. Colleen and Marty are absolutely right. A little compassion and understanding of our fellow humans go a long way. Try it sometime. You'll like it.

Aurora arrived today!!! She is happily ensconced in her nice warm stall and munching away. Her teeth, while they do need floating, are not as bad as I had expected they might be - no slobbering, no quidding. She will still be seeing the dentist just to be sure she has everything going for her. The vet will be here Monday for a thorough checkup as well although her coat and skin are in fine condition and her eyes are bright and clear. She is in good morale and her gums are good. I am thinking this little girl just needs more food. Bob has been following the little hay and complete feed diet that so many recommend for Minis and just didn't understand the amounts of complete feed to be feeding. I have always been a lots of hay type of girl and I think Aurora is too. The nutritionist I spoke to recommended a complete pelleted feed that I already use for my show horses and Aurora is getting that now along with continuous handfuls of hay and seems to quite like it!
default_yes.gif
: I am not going to post a picture of her that I took today, suffice it to say that she is in worse condition than those pictures Bob posted yesterday that were of her a couple weeks ago. I will perhaps post them later along with updated pictures as she continues to improve.

I want to say thank you to everyone for their helpful suggestions and advice, concern and understanding. Between all of us I know we can get this mare back in condition and help Bob learn how to care for her properly. Most of all he needs your help and understanding not your condemnation - he truly loves this mare and only wants the best for her - you could see that in the way he hugged her goodbye and apologized to her.

Not sure what people were reading into what I said- BUT I said what I said, no more no less and I do NOT appreciate wagging fingers and rude replies, thank you very much.

Some of you should learn that judging others by your own standards can show a lot about you!!

Thankyou Lori, for all that you are doing for this mare, and all that you will do.

Yea, Lori! I am so glad that she is there!
default_smile.png
I'll be looking forward to seeing those 'after' pictures of a round healthy mare and a beautiful foal. Tell Bob to keep his chin up and that we are all here to help him. I'm betting with a little education, he'll be the best miniature horse owner ever! :aktion033:

Aurora arrived today!!! She is happily ensconced in her nice warm stall and munching away. Her teeth, while they do need floating, are not as bad as I had expected they might be - no slobbering, no quidding. She will still be seeing the dentist just to be sure she has everything going for her. The vet will be here Monday for a thorough checkup as well although her coat and skin are in fine condition and her eyes are bright and clear. She is in good morale and her gums are good. I am thinking this little girl just needs more food. Bob has been following the little hay and complete feed diet that so many recommend for Minis and just didn't understand the amounts of complete feed to be feeding. I have always been a lots of hay type of girl and I think Aurora is too. The nutritionist I spoke to recommended a complete pelleted feed that I already use for my show horses and Aurora is getting that now along with continuous handfuls of hay and seems to quite like it!
default_yes.gif
: I am not going to post a picture of her that I took today, suffice it to say that she is in worse condition than those pictures Bob posted yesterday that were of her a couple weeks ago. I will perhaps post them later along with updated pictures as she continues to improve.
I want to say thank you to everyone for their helpful suggestions and advice, concern and understanding. Between all of us I know we can get this mare back in condition and help Bob learn how to care for her properly. Most of all he needs your help and understanding not your condemnation - he truly loves this mare and only wants the best for her - you could see that in the way he hugged her goodbye and apologized to her.

:aktion033: :aktion033: I have been following this ever since he posted pictures, I am so happy steps are being made to help Aurora and to help Bob.

Lori.......It is wonderful what you are doing!!!!!!!! :aktion033:

Bob.......reading about you hugging her and apologizing to her brought tears to my eyes, I can tell that you care deeply for this mare, and with Lori's help I am sure you will get on the right track. SO many people give advise on feeding minis, and so many think they don't need much. You just have to learn what is right for your horse....what might be right for someone elses doesn't always work on our own. I pray she will have a healthy foal, and get some weight back on, and that you will learn from this. I am so proud of you for swallowing your pride and letting Lori help you, it takes a special person to admit when they need help. Good luck to you, and Lori in helping Aurora to get healthy again.
default_wub.png
:

Best wishes

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: Bob loves his horse SO much! Hes at all the MHCO events and I show with him tehe. Youd have to meet him to see for yourself tehe. And Tonto is a daddys boy hehe. Lori your angel! Cant wait to see you all at the MHCO meeting. Good Luck aurora ! Hope we can see you and your beautiful foal
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back