Colts don't want to come in from pasture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flflyingw

Reaction score
Happy Holidays

My problem just started this week and I need help. I have had my colts at home now over a year. They are 19 months old. They never gave me any problems before. At 5PM every night I call them in and put them up with their night grain and hay. They have soft woodchip and straw bedding on mats and super clean stalls. When I call they just seem to stare out at the east side of the fence line that is close to the road. I have five acres and the colts pasture is in the middle and we have about 50' of woods all around the edges. It gets as late as 9 or 10 PM sometimes before they even think about coming in. I never had them late for dinner before. One time I could see but so far it has happened all week and I am starting to worry.

What could be the reason? Anyone have ideas on how to correct this. It is a bigger problem for me as you all know I am in a wheelchair. It is to dangerous to leave them out at night as we have pit bull dogs in the area and I could not sleep at night if they were out after hearing what has happened to other members minis with dog attacks. PLEASE HELP.

FLFlyingW

they are getting older and more adventerous
smile.gif
I would start ringing a bell everytime you give them grain. from then on they will associate the bell with getting grain and will come running. Mine are now so used to their routine that i just yell "horses!" and they all come running in. I started by shaking a bucket with grain and yelling horses and now i just yell LOL. But a bell would work very well.

I also use a bell, works great and I love to see the herd all running up from the pasture....

That sound strange to me too.

We feed our horses at the same time in the evening, every day and they have an "inner clock'', they are all standing at the gates, waiting 30 min. before.

You have to see them, when you are later.....

I have no idea, why your horses won't come in. I hope someone here can help you.

And I absolutely understand your concern about these dogs. Mine a locked in tight at night, that nothing can get in or out.

Marion

We had that problem for awhile. There was a ferral cat that was getting into the loft in the barn, and she would scare them flying out when they came in. Another time, we had a skunk out back, and they didn't know what to do about the skunk out back and wanted to make sure it left before they went in the barn.

The time of day is also interesting too, because it's prime time for coyotes. Also, is it dark out there???? Maybe some additional lights would help??? (that's what I tried and it seems to have helped.... the coyotes didn't like lights out back.)

I know with our little ones, they are so used to being fed at the same time every day, if I don't feed on time, they come looking for me. What happens if you're late on a feeding???

God Bless,

Lynn W

This is called tough love but it works. Do not feed them outside and leave them till they come to the barn themselves. If you have already been out at the time you want them to come in and called them and they didn't come - Leave them out. Next night go out at the regular time and call them. If they come in feed them and love them up lots. It usually only takes one time and they learn fast that food and love is in the barn.

I had that same problem but only with Rocky(the squirrely one!

It is twilight when the coy dogs and deer and other wild critters are moving and they can smell them and could kind of see them and he would just look blow and sniff and run around. moved him to another paddock and he will come now but still very concerned and looks up there all the time. I am betting it is a wild animal of some sort.

Horses not coming in for food is ODD! If you feed at the same time everyday. I would look for a reason, most likely it is a wild animal in the barn that shouldn't be. Make sure you don't have stray cats, raccoons, posums, owls etc. Do you have a dog that stays in the barn with the horses?

Mine only do that in the spring when they don't want to leave the new grass.

I am wondering if they found something growing out there that they are eating that they like, a bush or something that is filling them up.

Try not to feed them so much in the morning maybe, so they will be hungry at night. And also start putting them in eariler too. It's already dark at 5:00 here. Maybe they are scared of something coming back to the barn in the dark? Put a lot of lights on.

My friend in Florida mentioned the same problem. It seems they appreciate the cooler weather after a hot/humid summer and want to stay outside munching on grass. By the way, they came from our farm here in NE Wisconsin, so one can imagine how good it feels to be outside.

They did not come in again tonight. KayKay&Stormy I will buy a bell as soon as possible because I like that idea for other times also. Marion they are locked up tighter than a drum at night!! when I get them in. Lynn W I have checked every inch of the barn and pasture & nothing. Milo I did not feed this morning nor did I give them their morning hay. BFogg we do have deer but I have not seen them for a few months. Whitney I feed at the same time every day for over a year. I only have inside dogs-16yr old yorkies. Marty it is dark now but you might have something I will try Saturday to get them in earlier. I have a large flood light the electric company put in before the colts arrived last year. DunPainted I hope you are right because we don't have that much cold temps and it has been cold and then this would be over with. Thanks so much for the help as you can see this has me really bothered-they have a very big part of my heart. FLFlyingW

i feel sure they are just being boys and wanting to stay out. They are getting tword stallion age and are more independant now.

i really feel the bell will do the trick. let us know how it goes!

Kay

Latest posts

Back