Colour Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmhstacy

Reaction score
I have two questions which i think i already know the answer to but would like to hear some other opionions on them.

firstly: Black foals, all blacks i have had born in the past are a smoky colour and go black with time. This season i am using a new stallion and i have foals that are born black all over with the inside of the ears a reddish brown.

secondly: Alot of chestnuts have light mane & tails, I have a stallion that is chestnut with his mane & tail white. Is there silver chestnuts?? His dam is a silver bay (sire chestnut).

(he is the sire of the black foals)

Yes...there are most definitely "Silver-Chestnuts". The silver gene will dilute the manes & tails to various lighter shades from flaxen to silvery white.

Most chestnuts with the lighter manes & tails are actually Silver-Chestnuts. Altho, many are registered incorrectly as Palominos. There are "some" chestnuts without silver who carry "flaxen" which lightens the manes & tails...but I have found the the majority of minis with lighter manes & tails DO carry silver.

As for the black foals....what color is the sire you are using now? Most black foals that inherit the gray gene are usually born very black, then lighten with age. (just the opposite of black foals without the gray gene)

The sire is the chestnut with the white mane & tail.

(both sire & dams are not grey)

Altough some here disagree
wink.gif
, silver does not show on a red horse, so yes if your chestnut horse has a silver parents it can carry and hide silver.

Ofcourse he could also just be a chesnut with flaxen mane and tail.

Yes almost all true black foals are born brownish/greyish, and what Dona said is true, a foal born jet-black is propably going grey, if he has grey parents offcourse.

I also have often seen yet black foals out of appaloosa´s.

Thanks for that

The sire is the chestnut mentioned above

and the dams are not grey.

1 is black and the other is brown

Latest posts

Back