Colour Question - another horse page 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I was leaning to a "sooty buckskin" --
default_giveup.gif
-- as he's showing the dark face mask, darker hairs mixed (concentrated) along the topline of the horse and less prevalent on the underparts.
Ditto

Now that I’m reading this I did have a dark brown buckskin once; however, she was obviously a buckskin as a foal and you could only see shades of yellow hair in her winter coat. But she looked much like that welsh pony pictured above in the summer. Here dam was a smokey cream so she no doubt had cream.

I will try to find some pictures.

I think I know where she came from and who her sire was, if I'm right; then she was likely a smokey brown, as I'm pretty sure her sire was seal brown. And, a lovely one at that.
I believe many know who her sire is
default_wink.png
. This was my most reliable broodmare before I dispersed my herd.

Here is a summer picture of my smokey black. And a winter head shot. They aren't the best but you can see how similar he is to your horse. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

He is homogyzeous black (EE) with a cream gene, hence US Davis says Smokey Black

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Jane-I think he is brown.

Look at the foal picture. Very much a bay/brown and the cream wouldn't just appear. With sooty buckskins I guess I have only seen and had them born a "regular" buckskin color and then after shedding exhibit the sooty. Never right away at birth, but I could be wrong as that's just personal experience. Jane-thoughts on that matter?

I'm with Jane-I think he is brown.

Look at the foal picture. Very much a bay/brown and the cream wouldn't just appear. With sooty buckskins I guess I have only seen and had them born a "regular" buckskin color and then after shedding exhibit the sooty. Never right away at birth, but I could be wrong as that's just personal experience. Jane-thoughts on that matter?
Yes! this was the case with my mare posted above as well. She was no doubt a buckskin at birth.

Blacks can fade that much. I have one. Are his eyes amber almost like you can see through them?

Blacks can fade that much. I have one. Are his eyes amber almost like you can see through them?
His eyes are a light brownish colour, i think they are like what you described. I googled images and his eyes looked like them.

The mare-buckskin
Do you mean the horse on page 2 (Dakota)? Because hes a gelding or did you mean on the other horses in this thread? sorry its bit confusing lol

Latest posts

Back