Colour Question - another horse page 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for replying, going off the majority i have a smoky black and a bay
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the second horse is brown not bay. If he was bay he wouldn't have the light coloring around his flanks and muzzle.

I have a quarter horse gelding who is brown (thought he was bay also till I did color genetics reading) He changes colors seasonally.

Can brown horses still have the black legs? (sorry i dont know very much about brown horses)

Yes both bays and browns have black points (legs, ears, manes, and tails)

The difference is on a brown horse the soft areas on their muzzles, flanks, under the tail, ect. are a lighter color than their body color. On a bay the soft points would match the body color.

On a brown horse, they do carry a form of agouti, which is the same gene that makes a black horse a bay. (ie black points)

I think this one is defiantly more tricky, I see some very obvious signs of counter shading so I’m going with sooty bay.

It might not hurt to test this one since he is a little more tricky.

I quickly got a few pictures this morning of Dakota which hopefully will help lol if not it doesnt really matter as he is only a pet
default_smile.png

20130118_072147 - Copy.jpg20130118_072223 - Copy.jpg20130118_072229 - Copy.jpg

So i counted the votes lol and at the moment its a tie between bay and brown.

His muzzle is similar to his dams (picture of dams muzzle)

IMG_2499 - Copy.JPG

Any chance for silver in the mix? I know silver and cream together can do weird things to the color.

While I didn't test for silver, we think this guy is silver browskin (brown plus cream and silver). [He did test Aa nCr (one copy agouti, one copy cream).]

Che` - July 22, 2010.jpg

He has more golden tones than your boy, but just thinking out loud.

Im pretty sure theres no silver in either dam or sire, his mane and tail just sunbleach im pretty sure. Your guy sure is a cutey though, i love his colouring
default_smile.png

I can't remember the parents colors, but if cream is a possibility, then perhaps he's a regular brownskin (brown based buckskin - so brown plus cream). Just thinking.

He does look like an in between of the first horse and the second horse that you posted Diane and he does have the dorsal stripe, so your not the only one who thinks hes a sooty buckskin
default_smile.png

I know I'm the only one who thinks he's a sooty buckskin, but I wanted to share a couple of pictures of sooty buckskins. This is Tide Creek Augustus, a very dark sooty buckskin Section B Welsh Pony. (Owned and photographed by Unbridled Oaks) His picture is on public display on White Horse Productions Color Genetics site. Here's what they say about "sooty" --

Sooty: Sooty is a common color modifier that can act on both red and black based coats. Sooty, also known as smutty or countershading, causes dark hairs to be spread throughout a horses coat, usually concentrated from the top of the back down. Sooty horses often have spectacular dappling because of the contrast of colors in their coats. Sometimes the sooty hairs are concentrated into lines resembling leg barring and dorsal stripes on non-dun horses. Some horses are so sooty that their true color is unrecognizable. For example, some sooty buckskins have been mistaken for dark bay or black horses, such as the pony pictured below on the right (the horse below).

sooty_buckskin.jpg
This pic has me wondering if Topper could be sooty buckskin, instead of black bay (I only tested him for LWO, he neg). [And one of his 2012 colts sure looks like he could be a buckskin dun; dam has no cream, so didn't get it from her. I registered the colt as black dun, as I assumed Topper couldn't have cream with as black/dark as he is.]

Might just have to do a little more testing when funds are available. There's a good chance he's homozygous black (buckskin sire, black dam), which will really limit the foal color choices; but if does happen to be sooty buckskin, then that opens up the choices a little bit.

Have no idea what I did, but end up with a double post instead of an edit.
default_doh.gif

Latest posts

Back