Colour Help Please :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrycharm

Reaction score
default_smile.png
we have some thoughts, but would love opinions from those of you who may have a similar colour or just no what colour he is?? i have had red duns before and they have never been this pale and even when clipped still show leg and shoulder barring etc, he has four white socks just above his fetlocks hard to see in photos but there when hes wet or up close you can see, and a right side blue eye and small spot of white on his head.

First born...

IMG_8830.jpg

a couple of months old...

IMG_9092.jpg

first clip...

IMG_1970.jpg

here's some close ups...

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

Here is Dad...

meandmax.jpg

Who is tested...

-hetro silver

-chestnut carrier

-hetro tobiano

-non cream

-dun

Thank you in advance
default_smile.png

Very beautiful colt!

As for colour I am going to say mom looks to be a silver bay and dad a silver grulla.

Your colt looks like a red dun right now but I bet he will end up a silver bay dun.

In his clipped picture it already looks like his legs are getting the gray shade of a silver bay.

Will be interesting to see what other people think.

Congratulation!!

In my opinion, he definately looks to be a red dun and VERY possibly even red dun roan.
default_yes.gif
His dam looks as though she may carry roan (due to the light hairs from her winter coat showing in the background behind him, yet looks very bay in the other one) and when I first saw his darker face from being body clipped, I thought it was darker to being shed there sooner so had the new hair, but after I saw what looks possibly to be roan on his dam, maybe that is what he is as well, giving him the light body color after clipping. My red dun colt was not near that light colored when clipped as a foal, so I would think red dun roan.

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks red dun to me as well. I will post pictures of my silver red dun mare for you though for comparison as soon as I get home about noon. It does seem to show on her strangely.

My guess would be red dun roan as well. I don't know where the roan would come from but it would likely be the dam since dad doesn't look to carry any roan. Here is a picture of a filly I have who looks very much the same and is a red dun roan.

2008, winter 2009 178.jpg

Dam's roaning looks more like sabino roaning, than true roan.

I'm going to say silver bay dun, she's very similar to my silver bay dun mare (color tested EE,Aa, no cream). Her clipped coat has that silver hue that sorrel horses don't (my sorrels typically look a bit pinkish when clipped, not silver).

Red Dun- all Rabbits Red Dun foals were this colour as he seemed to throw his flaxen on them all!

They do look roany when first clipped- I do not think this animal is Roan.

Silver does not show on Red, not even Red Dun!

1402263_43.jpg

Rabbit...

Misty2010009.jpg

Misty, Rabbit's Red Dun Roan Pinto grandson

mouse2.jpg

Mouse, Misty's Black Dun Roan mother- no leg bars on any of these, not when clipped, not when not clipped! Duns do not have to have leg bars or face cobwebbing or any of that other stuff to be Duns, in fact, in Europe it is so unusual we call them "Zebra Duns" when they do have it!

Ok, here is a silver red dun mare. She looks palomino most of the time. I realize silver doesn't show on any red based horses. Maybe she is just a very light red dun.

Rowena.jpg

Rowena5.jpg

Now that I can see the pictures on my computer and not my tiny little phone, I agree with those that say silver bay dun.

Is there a color called "gorgeous"?
default_biggrin.png
He looks red dun to me... Whatever color, he is stunning!

Last edited by a moderator:
oh thank you everyone for your lovely comments i really like him so great to hear others say hes gorgeous to!!! hehe
default_smile.png

so red dun or silver bay dun, we had actually thought of the silver bay as yes his legs do have a tint to them but he is just sooo pale everything is hard to make out!! will be interesting to see his coat next spring
default_smile.png

what colour could i test for to pin point it down?

Thank you
default_smile.png

If you tested him for red/black factor, agouti and silver...Those results would tell you exactly what color he is (with the exception of if he is carrying roan or not).

Or, if you are quite certain there are only two color choices, then the red/black test alone would tell you if he is red dun or silver bay dun.

If you tested him for red/black factor, agouti and silver...Those results would tell you exactly what color he is (with the exception of if he is carrying roan or not).

Or, if you are quite certain there are only two color choices, then the red/black test alone would tell you if he is red dun or silver bay dun.

Cool thanks
default_smile.png

Here's a photo collage of my silver bay dun when she was a filly. She color tested EE, Aa, no cream (didn't test for silver, it wasn't available at the time, but its obvious she is silver).

Tana%20collage%20-%20created%20by%20Mary%20copy.jpg

Back