Color testing results....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpwildrose

Reaction score
I called DNADiagonists today and all of us who sent in hair samples last week should have results early next week.

They are finishing the tests today around 5pm.

YEA!!!
default_biggrin.png

How much was the test again? I am thinking about testing a couple. Got the form printed but it says to call for price.

I called DNADiagonists today and all of us who sent in hair samples last week should have results early next week.They are finishing the tests today around 5pm.

YEA!!!
default_biggrin.png

What are they testing for?

WHen you send in for DNA what else to they test for?

VeriSNP™ for Horses includes:

Cream dilution

Red (Chestnut)

Tobiano

Silver

Sabino 1

Agouti (Bay)

Champagne

Lethal White Overo (OLWS)

I am testing for "color". I already tested and know my filly is LWO and tobiano.

137_3729-309x224.jpg

This test is done for personal reasons to know the color of horses and not AMHA DNA testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called DNADiagonists today and all of us who sent in hair samples last week should have results early next week.They are finishing the tests today around 5pm.

YEA!!!
default_biggrin.png

What are they testing for?

WHen you send in for DNA what else to they test for?
When you send in to Shelterwood Labs (DNA Diagnostics), they test for the following:

VeriSNP™ for Horses includes:
Identity/Parentage Markers

Cream dilution

Red (Chestnut)

Tobiano

Silver

Sabino 1

Agouti (Bay)

Champagne

Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis (HYPP)

Lethal White Overo (OLWS)

Glycogen Branching Enzyme Deficiency (GBED)

Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa (JEB)

HERDA (HERDA-QH)

Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (PSSM)
Some of those are genetic diseases that do not affect Minis, but all is included in the $40 price.

When you send in to have a horse DNAed for AMHA registration, they do not test for any of those listed above. They test for markers to determin parentage.

Anyone using this test please be aware that Shelterwood is an offshore lab that has a rather checkered history when it comes to color testing. They are also using tests that are not peer reviewed and in some cases tests that they are not paying licensing fees to use - that is why they are so cheap. I know of several individuals who sent in samples and payments months ago and their checks have been cashed but they are being given a number of excuses as to why they have not yet received test results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone using this test please be aware that Shelterwood is an offshore lab that has a rather checkered history when it comes to color testing. They are also using tests that are not peer reviewed and in some cases tests that they are not paying licensing fees to use - that is why they are so cheap. I know of several individuals who sent in samples and payments months ago and their checks have been cashed but they are being given a number of excuses as to why they have not yet received test results.
See thats what I was told and why I was very hesitant to use this lab. If I get test results and use them in ads and pedigrees etc I have to know that they are absolutely correct. I was really tempted to try this company but all I could think was "you get what you pay for"

Lewella, what about AnimalGenetics? I've used them before and they have very quick turn around and it's $25/test. Does this other lab do ALL of those tests for $40 bucks?

I am finally ready to test Zoe...hairs are all pulled and I just found this topic.

Now I am confused who to send her hairs to.

What are the other choices for labs, you are using?

May I ask, how those of you who have been unhappy with Shelterwood -

how you determined that it was their results that were in error and not one

of the other labs?

Hi Nancy

I use animal genetics and there has never been trouble with them.

Shelterwood though has had a lot of trouble. If you look up the other thread you will see those people did not get their results nearly as fast as promised and at last check some were still waiting. Also Shelterwood had to re run several of the tests before they ever sent results as they were wrong which was the reason they gave for the delay. I have heard this is common practice for Shelterwood.

I STILL don't have all my results back from shelterwood, after at least 2 months. I would NEVER trust their results! I know of other people that have tested with them and with animal genetics and have gotten different results. I will always use Animal Genetics from now on!!

YEA!!!
default_biggrin.png
OK.....so what about those of us who sent in hair samples 2 MONTHS ago? Are we going to get the results of those too???????
default_rolleyes.gif

Dona, this thread was dragged up from June 26th, so this is the thread from 2 months ago.
default_smile.png

I have not seen people who sent in samples way back then share their results here yet.

Shelterwood lab has been known to be slow here on the forum back in 2003. I had hoped they had become faster. Sounded like a good deal *sigh*

It's not that they're slow, it's that they run them, finish them and they tell you something happened and they have to run them again. And they keep telling you they will have your results, "tomorrow". Well they just keep giving you every excuse in the book. How many times does Animal Genetics tell you they have to keep re-running the tests because they didn't do it right the first time??

If I need something like that done, I just use UC Davis's genetics lab. I trust their results and they are pretty quick about it.

Latest posts

Back