Color ??'s

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreammountainminis

Reaction score
I purchased this filly two months ago she is older now and has alot of roaning ..I was told she is a maximum expression overo..To me i think she may be frame but since i'm not to good with all the color variations i figured i would ask. She does have two blue eyes ..Her sire is LTD'S Yankee doodle and her dam is Wyatt oaks frosty bria i'm not sure of thier colors as i dont have the stud books ...She has color from her medicine hat all the way to her tail and she also has coloring on her chest part way up her neck ..any help would be great ..thanks in advance
briababy03.jpg

I have owned two maximum frame colts out of yankee doodle. got them from T. Charles, the breeder of your filly. He can help you with the colors, but if my memory serves me right, the dam was a red dun overo ( splash i think) and the stallion was a frame sabino black.

Both my boys were ( are) black sabino frames, both maximum expressed. Your girl may just carry all three genes .

Is she chestnut or red dun?

I think if you look on his website, mom and dad might be on there.

I certainly would not bet against her being Frame. I too think she is a combination of patterns. I would definately have her tested before breeding her to anything that had any chance of carrying Frame. Of course, I realize it will be some time before she is bred.

I own the momma-- Wyatt Oaks Frosty Bria!! She is a sorrel with an apron face and 4 white socks. She has 1 blue eye and one mixed brown and blue.

bria3.jpg

I would love to see more pics of the baby!

Last edited by a moderator:
My stallion is a half brother to your filly, he's definitely a framed overo.

Goodie2.jpg

Mama looks more sabino and/or Splash to me, but again, one never knows for sure until they have been color tested for the LWO gene.

The 1/2 brother posted actually shows frame characteristics, which I do not see in the filly, but again, I would DEFINATELY have her tested!!

U just cant tell how many overo patterns they carry by looking at them often. U may remember my little blk and white overo filly born in June. To me she looked splash but could have been frame too and her dad does show all 3 overo patterns and the dam is a splash. Well I had her color tested and she carrys the frame LWO and is homozygous for black. So I would say she carrys Splash and LWO but thats only my best guess. Either way I am totally happy with her and her lovely parents.

skittlesciscofillywalkGreatGoodheadtailout1wk.jpg

skittlescicsofillyrunfrtfeetuphayGOOD1wk.jpg

If u notice Mom Skittles tail is black with white tip and the fillys tail is white with the black tip.

skittlesciscofillymomwalkleftsidesGOOD1wk.jpg

And here is proud Dad Cisco who does show all 3 overo patterns. Although u cant see them all in these pix

they are there. He has a splash belly spot, he has frame small white spots on both sides and he has sabino roaning in several places most pronounced in his flanks. I just love these unposed natural pix of him.

ciscortsideGOODneckarchwalk606.jpg

ciscoSTOMPINGskittlessandfillyGooD606.jpg

I purchased this filly two months ago she is older now and has alot of roaning ..I was told she is a maximum expression overo..To me i think she may be frame but since i'm not to good with all the color variations i figured i would ask. She does have two blue eyes ..Her sire is LTD'S Yankee doodle and her dam is Wyatt oaks frosty bria i'm not sure of thier colors as i dont have the stud books ...She has color from her medicine hat all the way to her tail and she also has coloring on her chest part way up her neck ..any help would be great ..thanks in advance
briababy03.jpg

I would bet money she is a Frame coming from LTD bloodlines. She can be carrying Splash & Sabino as well. The only way to know "for sure" that she is LWO is to test, of course.
default_yes.gif
:

U just cant tell how many overo patterns they carry by looking at them often. U may remember my little blk and white overo filly born in June. To me she looked splash but could have been frame too and her dad does show all 3 overo patterns and the dam is a splash. Well I had her color tested and she carrys the frame LWO and is homozygous for black. So I would say she carrys Splash and LWO but thats only my best guess. Either way I am totally happy with her and her lovely parents.

skittlesciscofillywalkGreatGoodheadtailout1wk.jpg

skittlescicsofillyrunfrtfeetuphayGOOD1wk.jpg

If u notice Mom Skittles tail is black with white tip and the fillys tail is white with the black tip.

skittlesciscofillymomwalkleftsidesGOOD1wk.jpg

And here is proud Dad Cisco who does show all 3 overo patterns. Although u cant see them all in these pix

they are there. He has a splash belly spot, he has frame small white spots on both sides and he has sabino roaning in several places most pronounced in his flanks. I just love these unposed natural pix of him.

ciscortsideGOODneckarchwalk606.jpg

ciscoSTOMPINGskittlessandfillyGooD606.jpg
I agree with your "guess" of Splash and LWO....but I think she may also carry Tobiano. A tail that is white at the top & black on the bottom is a Tobiano characteristic. Splash tails are typically colored at the top & white at the bottom. Frame tails are usually totally colored, unless another pinto pattern is involved. Did you have her tested for Tobiano?

Thank you all so very much for your replies and pics ..I am going to try and contact T.Charles but i cant find a site addy or email for him but i am going to keep looking ..again thanks a bunch ..

I *may* have that information at home -- if I remember to look. I'll send you an e-mail when I get a chance.

Tracy

"I agree with your "guess" of Splash and LWO....but I think she may also carry Tobiano. A tail that is white at the top & black on the bottom is a Tobiano characteristic. Splash tails are typically colored at the top & white at the bottom. Frame tails are usually totally colored, unless another pinto pattern is involved. Did you have her tested for Tobiano?".

U know Dona, I totally forgot to have her tested for tobiano! And u are right she could be tobiano too, her dams dam is a tovero that has tobiano for sure. Thanks for mentioning that.

Latest posts

Back