Color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question on spotted donkeys. I am under the impression that one parent has to be spotted to get a spotted foal. Does the foal out of one spotted parent carry the spotted gene? what about if both parents are spotted and you get a solid color foal. would the resulting foal be able to have spotted foal if bred to a solid jack? so i guess i an wondering does one of the parents always have to be spotted to get spotted foals? Does anyone know any north dakota, montana or south dakoa breeders?

thanks for any help you can offer

Louise

:saludando: Hi Louise..that is a good Q....??? I really don't know? The only thing I can go on is I had a "Solid" Jack (Chocolate) & a Spotted Jenny and together they had...2 "Chocolates" & 1 "Spotted"....I believe the "Solid" Jack is the dominate for offspring...though I may easily be wrong. I would Love to hear from others as well. Teri

I had a solid (gray) jenny and a spotted jack and their first foal was gray and the second was spotted. Sorry I wasn't any help.

Leslie

I know colours go out of the window with Donks but basic genetics stay the same.

Pinto (spotted) cannot be "carried".

One parent must be parti-coloured to get parti-coloured offspring.

A Spotted Donkey will have a 50/50 chance of having a spotted foal unless he is Homozygous for Pinto, in which case all his offspring will be spotted.

A Spotted foal will obviously have the spotted"gene"

A Solid out of a Spotted will not have.

BUT a "solid" with a white blaze is not "solid"!!

Any clearer???

Thanks Jane, :saludando: (not alot of people know this but Jane is my color expert. I think she should write a book on it, especially for the AMERICAN COLORS, right Jane??...lol..) and I sure will agree, color goes flying right out the window when it comes to donkeys :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: just when you really think you will get color ---you DONT, when you dont YOU WILL..so always hope for the opposite..
default_wink.png
: Corinne

ok this is a good topic for me... I LOVE SPOTS
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

i have a 2-year-old chocolate jennet, out of a spotted mama and a "black" papa - would she have to be bred to another spot to throw a spot? sounds like yes from the other posts here... i have lots of time to decide as she just turned 2 so NOT breeding her this year... but i have 2 jacks, one spotted and one solid, i had pretty much decided to put her with the spotted jack when the time comes. her half sister, same sire, different jennet but also spotted, is spotted, and i thought to breed her (when the time comes) to my brown jack, in the hopes of getting a DARKER spot (she is light grey) - but sounds like this may be asking for a solid baby?

there were only a few posts on this thread so i am hoping to get some more responses
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back