COLOR QUESTION??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
I have a question, last year in 2009 we had a filly born here, that looked to be like any normal silver with a little bit lighter of a mane. Her sire was black, dam is palomino. Anyway, we sold the filly as a weanling, and actually bought her back about a few weeks ago, brought her home and GUESS what we have a silver bay!!! So now I know the sire could not possibly be the one carrying silver, because he wouldn't have been black correct?? he would have been just plain "silver". So is dam the one who is carrying the silver??? She has a lot of silver thoughout her mane, but here is the funny part, we had her tested and her silver results came back neg. (then again it wasn't by animal genetics) it was by that other one, that had the offer for $40 for all the testes (i dont remember the name of it). So i guess my question is who was the silver carrier dad can't be right, or else the silver in him would have just diluted him to being a silver color, and he was NOT he was pitch black!!

Here is the filly..shes deff. silver bay. PS HER TAIL IS WHITE BECAUSE SHES PINTO, HER BUTT IS WHITE.

052.jpg

057-1.jpg

Sire..

hero2.jpg

Dam...you can kind of tell in this pic the silver in her mane

012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture of the sire isn't great, but if he is black, then no, he isn't carrying silver. Silver doesn't hide on black based colors, so you would see it. Since Palomino is a red based color, she can easily be carrying silver without visibly seeing it. However if the test results came back negative, I would probably re-test her. If she comes back negative again, you would want to test the foal, to make sure she is in fact a silver bay(though she certainly looks it) and if she is, then test the sire. If neither parents have silver, and the foal does, then something got mixed up somewhere
default_smile.png

It looks to me like the dam could possibly be Silver Buckskin. I have seen some just that color. That would account for both the Silver and Agouti needed to produce Silver Bay (which the filly obviously is).

Another example that that other test was a waste of money. However, I hear rumors that another reliable lab is working on an all inclusive test. Can't wait till it's ready.

I agree the mare looks like she is a silver buckskin. The filly is gorgeous though!

I'm no expert on color but have you had the filly tested for silver? I am wondering if the mane color could be from a cream dilute from the mare rather than silver.

I would agree the dam looks silver buckskin, which would account for both the bay gene and the silver gene on the filly.

I'm not a color expert either, but our silver bay yearling has the opposite colors in her parents. Dam is black (smokey black possibly) and sire is a bucksin pinto. He sired two fillies last year and both came out silver bay (ours, with the black dam and the other was from a sorrel/chestnut dam).

His 2008 get (same dams) produced a smokey black filly (our 2 yr old from the black dam) and a white or cream filly (I only saw her for a bit and with her winter/foal woolies, so I have no idea what she looks like now).

I have to say, I am tickled pink to have a silver bay!!! I do think it's going to be my favorite color
default_smile.png
wub.gif

I'll be watching your thread to see what else others say!

I'm no expert on color but have you had the filly tested for silver? I am wondering if the mane color could be from a cream dilute from the mare rather than silver.
Cream dilute (without Silver) would have created a Buckskin with Black mane and tail, not lighter mane and tail.

here are more photos of the dam, and sire...I had another silver buckskin and she looked nothing like this mare. But she does have white socks, so maybe that's why we can't tell her leg color??

004-1.jpg

sweetie3-1.jpg

bad pic but it shows her color!!

DSC02698.jpg

You can see the silver in her mane in this photo

DSC02697-1.jpg

here is a good one to show her color! and actually in the background is my silver buckskin mare

DSC01321.jpg

the sire..deff black he passed away so we can't get him color tested

DSC00379.jpg

here are more photos of the dam, and sire...I had another silver buckskin and she looked nothing like this mare. But she does have white socks, so maybe that's why we can't tell her leg color??

004-1.jpg

ok in that picture she does look to be palomino. the other picture looks like a totally different color horse LOL! I would test the filly for agouti and silver to find out if she is a silver bay or silver chestnut.

004-1.jpg

ok in that picture she does look to be palomino. the other picture looks like a totally different color horse LOL! I would test the filly for agouti and silver to find out if she is a silver bay or silver chestnut.
Their is such thing as silver chestnut? Oh my goodness LOL This is confusing

If i remember right, when I had her color tested (the mother) she carried agouti, so that means she couldnt be palomino??

I would not make a committment on the mare without testing.
default_smile.png
However, Palomino (Red base) can carry both Silver and Agouti without showing it.

Silver in the mane means nothing unless it is a Black based horse.

I have no doubt the filly is a Silver Bay.

I guess we will re-test the mare. And shes also due to foal soon, so if she has another silver bay (which is possible, it has to be from her, because sire is black again, and homozgyous for it) This mare has NEVER passed on her cream gene either...

Mare looks Palomino to me and yes its possible for her to carry Agouti and Silver as they dont act on Red based horses.

I have a 3yr olds stallion that is a lovely red chestnut with Flaxen but is homozygous from Bay and carries 1 copy of silver - his sire was a buckskin and the dam was a silver bay.

Cant wait to see what kind of baby she has this yr

Hmmmmm.... with more pictures of the mare there, I'd say she definitely carries silver... but I don't know... either silver buckskin or silver bay for her. I've seen some very light silver bays, so perhaps she's that? She sort of looks palomino, but I'd say no.

Definitely test her and let us know!

Andrea

You DEFINITELY have a Silver Bay and Pinto.......That's what I would test for if you were to test.....plus Cream.

Latest posts

Back