Color question... RESULTS ARE IN!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tami

Reaction score
This is my 09 colt....His dam is a sorrel pinto...her sire was a bay pinto and dam a bay....the colts sire is a double dilute....his sire is listed as a buckskin and his dam is listed as a grulla....... The colt has a definite dorsal stripe, but that is it.........what would you register him as.

Below are a few photos....one the day he was born and some recent ones......

Results on page 2.....

P1010004%20(2).JPG

P9072907%20(8).JPG

snap3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
idk what color he is - but he sure is a handsome lil Guy

you could always test him just to be 100% Sure :)

and you have to remember if you list him as the wrong color and down the Road Discover his True color you can always change it ;-)

Grulla Pinto....if you test just for Cream and Agouti you would know if he was Buckskin or not but I would not hestitate to register him as Grulla.

Idk what color he is, but that's not why I posted. I wanted to tell you what a GORGEOUS BOY you have there!!!!!!!!! WHOOZZA!!!!!!!!!! He's a beauty
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
TJ

I agree with Jane and say a grulla pinto for now.

What a nice looking boy, with a beautiful head.
default_yes.gif

I'd say grulla due to the dorsal stripe. Buckskin doesn't have a dorsal but a dun would have a dorsal. He sure is pretty!
default_smile.png

I say grulla pinto as well. But he could be buckskin also. I have a buckskin about the same color as him. You could just test him for cream and agouti to know for sure.

Thanks guys. I know he has creme since his sire is a double dilute so I think I will send in hair for agouti.....

I hope to show him next year. His dam is 22 this year and has always given me such pretty babies.....

I hope to show him next year. His dam is 22 this year and has always given me such pretty babies.....
I can vouch for that too!
default_biggrin.png
REALLY REALLY REALLY hope you get that filly out of her you've wanted.. Did she settle for next year?

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW-that is one very handsome grulla pinto!!!!!! He should do very well in the shows next year!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif

If there such a thing as a smokey grulla...he is either that, or a dunskin.

And HOLY BATMAN!!! There are few horses that really make me gulp, sit back, and seriously catch my eye...
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wub.png
default_new_shocked.gif
...but this boy has "IT". (And he's not even appy...LOLOL!)

Well, DUH!! you said the sire was CrCr too!!

So, no need to test for that then......
default_rolleyes.gif

Teach me to read things properly, that will.

So you need to test for Agouti.

Yes, Sue you can have a Smoky Grulla but it rarely shows anything, just as Smoky Black (although Smoky Black does tend to show more in Minis, it would seem, tricky little critters that they are
default_laugh.png
)

Has the sire been colour tested???

Thanks again guys...sent hair off yesterday to Animal Genetics so I will let you know what the agouti test says.......

I got his results back today..... I think this means he is a grullo......

Agouti

aa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result Guide:

Agouti

aa Only recessive allele detected. Black pigment distributed uniformly. The basic color of the horse will be black in the absence of other modifying genes.

Aa Horse tested Heterozygous for Agouti. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.

AA Only dominant allele detected. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.

I think this means he is a grullo......
And a very handsome one at that!
default_wub.png
Actually, since his sire is a DD then techinically, your boy is a smokey grulla. (carrying the black from both the cream as well as the dun)

Latest posts

Back