Color Question for new pinto Colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
We just clipped a couple of our colts yesterday. One of our colts was born looking like a sorrel pinto. Over the last couple of weeks, he started shedding out very dark around his eyes and his ears and we noticed that at the root of his hairs he looked very dark. After we clipped him, he has sorrel colored splotches and then very dark splotches. We were loosing light quick, but I took a few quick pictures to show his coloring. One of the close-ups was taken with a flash, the other one was not. Is he still a sorrel pinto with just some dark splotches or what? His dam is a red roan pinto and his sire is a silver bay appaloosa with very large blanket and spots.

Thanks for any help!
default_saludando.gif

AppColtPintoColt_063_600x600.jpg

AppColtPintoColt_051b_800x533.jpg

AppColtPintoColt_054b_800x533.jpg

I am also one who stumbles with foal color

but my thought would be chestnut/sorrel carrying a sooty/smutty modifier.

Very neat color.

I don't see Bay he would have a black mane & tail with the white legs you wouldn't see those black points

I am also one who stumbles with foal color

but my thought would be chestnut/sorrel carrying a sooty/smutty modifier.

Very neat color.

I don't see Bay he would have a black mane & tail with the white legs you wouldn't see those black points

Yes, that's what I was thinking. He does not have a black mane and tail or silver, so he couldn't be bay or silver bay, I just do not know where the dark splotches come from.

So there is something called a sooty modifier that can throw dark splotches?

There are many shades of chestnut, some so dark they actually look black. I'm still learning about colors, but he could just be shedding into a darker shade of chestnut. The spots look simular to bend or spots to me
default_smile.png
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will comment, but that's just my opinion
default_yes.gif

Agree with previous posts..... Not a bay. Registries don't get into details with color, so you're probably going to have to say Sorrel.

He is definitely a chestnut. In the Morgan world we would call him a liver chestnut. (If he turns darker.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is definitely a chestnut. In the Morgan world we would call him a liver chestnut. (If he turns darker.

Thank you!
default_saludando.gif

For future reference, what is it about him that would cause you to say "liver" chestnut? What's the difference between chestnut and liver chestnut? Is liver just darker or is there something else?

Liver is a dark chestnut, but he may not be liver, the clipped coat is very different form the real coat. Foals go through loads of changes and chestnuts go through more changes than a lot of other colours, too, so, really, the only thing you can do is wait and see!

There is no test for "Liver", and your foal looks as if he is Sooty (no test!!)anyway, at the moment- next week he may be skybluepink with green spots

Maggie is a medium Liver chestnut and her coat clips out like your colt's. Pretty wild and it can change year by year.

SSA500541.jpg

foals003-1.jpg

of my first mini foals was born very pale that autumn (fall) he went very dark liver chestnut , the following year he shed out bay

foals033.jpg

booboo036.jpg

SSA500541.jpg

foals003-1.jpg

of my first mini foals was born very pale that autumn (fall) he went very dark liver chestnut , the following year he shed out bay

foals033.jpg

booboo036.jpg
WOW!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

It's amazing how much they can change color. I guess I will just have to wait and see!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the pictures!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back