color help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
I sold a grulla mare last year bred to a bay appy...they did not want the foal so today we went and picked her up, she is 4 months old. They said she was a bay..but there is something else going on here

her legs are a grulla/silver color with primitive barring on both front knees and also on her hocks, may be hard to see in the pictures but its there. Her tail is like her mothers.typical grulla colored .mixed silver with that black stripe down the middle....but she does not appear to have a dorsal and her mane is black and her body looks bay cept for the above mentioned....any ideas? Oh, and her legs are all shed out in the pictures ****looking at my pictures the last one shows her leg color the best, more silvery sorry the others just look bay...*** her hiney also shows black shading like a blanket weird::: I am stumped

DSC03633_3.jpg

DSC03635.jpg

DSC03634_3.jpg

DSC03625_3.jpg

DSC03622_2.jpg

here is her mother

DSC00480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I do not know the answer but her legs do look "silver bay", but not her mane and tail. I think she's gorgeous. I bet if she were here, I could determine the color and all I'd charge is her
default_wub.png

Gorgeous:

DSC03634_3.jpg

I am no good at colours but I just wanted to say how pretty she is, congratulations

I sold a grulla mare last year bred to a bay appy...they did not want the foal so today we went and picked her up, she is 4 months old. They said she was a bay..but there is something else going on here

her legs are a grulla/silver color with primitive barring on both front knees and also on her hocks, may be hard to see in the pictures but its there. Her tail is like her mothers.typical grulla colored .mixed silver with that black stripe down the middle....but she does not appear to have a dorsal and her mane is black and her body looks bay cept for the above mentioned....any ideas? Oh, and her legs are all shed out in the pictures ****looking at my pictures the last one shows her leg color the best, more silvery sorry the others just look bay...*** her hiney also shows black shading like a blanket weird::: I am stumped

Does she have a dorsal stripe down her back into her tail? In order to be dun she has to have a dorsal stripe. She looks like a bay to me, but her legs do look a little lighter like in a silver bay, but her mane and tail look too dark to be silver bay.

Marsha

....but she does not appear to have a dorsal...
I think the OP said no dorsal ^

Harvey and I quite a bit of dun in our herd. I've seen it do neat things to colors, and even one with factor only with 1/2 a dorsal... or I should say 1/2 a dark dorsal and other 1/2 faint. I'm hoping someone will have an answer to your color question here. I wonder can silver effect legs but not mane? Never seen it do so but...

She looks like a typical bay foal that still has some baby fuzzies. Bay foals often have the lighter legs like that as a defense mechanism. Same goes for the tail. I don't see silver or dun. Does she have any 'roaning' on her at all or sclera or mottling? I am just wondering as the appaloosa gene also tends to 'muddle' color as well and in one picture it looks like she might have some white hairs on her rump but i'm using my phone so can't tell for sure.

I've seen bay babies have the silvery looking legs shed out to have black legs. I don't see dun in the mare or the baby. I've seen several horses clip out to that weird grey color but without the stripes can't be dun. I can't tell if she has a dorsal or not but most grullas have the shoulder stripe and that she does not have.

Karen

her legs ARE shed out I know bays have that lighter color but hers are shed out completely and are silvery up to her hocks thats what threw me on her color..plus she has 4 dark bars on her front knees on the back and barring on her hocks as well so I know there is something else going on..here is another picture that might show her leg color a little better...its my pictures that aren't helping...sorry and a true bay would not have that tail.... she has lots of black on her topline and if you look it sweeps down near her hip or maybe it is just countershading I don't know....I wish my pictures would come out bigger.

I am not saying the baby is grulla I know that...but I am stumped at what she is with the markers she does have that just don't fit together to make a traditional dun or whatever she is and no...not an appaloosa spot in sight boo hoo

and yes she does have the stripe in her tail but no dorsal just all that black like a blanket covering her hips

DSC03620_2.jpg

and yes her mama is a grulla for sure its my fav color!

DSC00688.jpg

Foals do often have the light mixed into their tails-it disappears with age, does not make them not true bay.

Here are some examples of a few of mine:

Highv1wk5.jpg

here she is with winter fuzzies and she still has it:

DSC00097.jpg

and here she is clipped at 3 months. I also clipped her legs and as you can see they are still very light. Some just take longer to get the dark color in.

Highv5-1.jpg

She is solid bay with no other modifiers or patterns. Her tail is now solid black as a 3 yr old.

And here is my orphan baby, Frankie, who also had the light tail. Even as a yearling the outsides of it were very light, but as it grew out it became all black.

frankiekitchen.jpg

Excuse this picture, he had been playing in the mud:

P1050819.jpg

and as a yearling with a terrible clip (he still has winter fur on the bottom of his belly-he's not pregs
default_smile.png
)

Frankie-right2.jpg

So i'm fairly certain you just have a bay. The barring on her legs is probably not true barring, but a mix of the light areas of her legs with the dark trying to peak through. Kind of like how many foals get the countershading on their backs that looks like a dorsal when it is not.

you said baby's sire was an Appy I wonder if the Appy could be causing the tail coloring and unlikely but the leg coloring as well? Do you have a picture of the sire?

This foal turned out solid black : note the silver legs and some in tail

IMG_0616.jpg

I love the grulla color also here's ours all 29" of him.

large1789.jpg

large1781.jpg

I agree with bay. Some of my 4 month old foals still have silver "ticking" to their legs. Even clipped/shed out. But they are gradually getting darker as they get older and I expect they will be solid black soon.

I guess it could be normal bay, but I've personally not had one stay silver on the legs that old. Also the black mane but mixed tail is throwing me.

But most importantly, she's beautiful, so yay that they didn't want her! Congratulations to you!

I guess it could be normal bay, but I've personally not had one stay silver on the legs that old. Also the black mane but mixed tail is throwing me.

But most importantly, she's beautiful, so yay that they didn't want her! Congratulations to you!

Thank you..its hard to tell from my photos but her legs are totally silver no black peeking thru as with a normal bay I have had bay foals and black foals ...this is different which is why I posted...just wanted opinions

guess I will reg her as a bay :eek:) Thanks all!!!

You could always color test her for silver too. Just to know more of what she really might be. There is a test for dun, but I dont think its 100% guarantee on it, just dun markers or something? And you have to have the dun parent's hair to sample too.

Marsha

I'm pretty sure she is bay. I have had several bay horses with the barred knees as babies and the silver edges to the tail. She is very pretty.

Latest posts

Back